TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maxxis Supermxx Diamond tyres

Liked 9,808 in 5,117 posts

Question Maxxis Supermxx Diamond tyres

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    My NCX came witha fairly new set of these tyres on. Right from the start I felt like I liked the profile as the turn in quick which suits my commute. Ridden in the wet and dry with them and they always seem stable and grippy. Bearing in mind I'm a much slower rider then probably most of you, so my needs from a tyre are different, but I would take these over Michelin Pilots every time as the profile has such a nicer turn in. I was getting busy out Northwood and Watford way yesterday and then after a 90mph blat round the M25, across the back roads of south Essex and I was touching my toes down with even feeling like i was trying. Anyone else have any experience of these tyres?

Liked 7,242 in 4,085 posts

Default Re: Maxxis Supermxx Diamond tyres

Quite often the only difference between a cheap tyre and a premium tyre isn't the grip, wet performance or turn in, but the longevity.

Be interesting to see how long they last.

Liked 1,819 in 1,118 posts

I used to get Maxxis as I could not afford better. Now I get Michelin PR5's and do honestly believe they are better with longevity etc. The cost evens out when you consider the wear they get and how much longer they last.

Liked 1,788 in 1,170 posts

Not used em but keep reporting to see how you get on.

I love my PR4's and will probably get the 5's next. I've got 4k on the 4's at the moment and still a fair amount of wear left and they are more than grippy enough for me. I also prefer the profile to the PP.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,483 in 2,113 posts

My trackday FZR400RR came with a pair of them on, I was going to change them before my first trackday on it but I never got round to it so I've now done two trackdays on Snetterton with them, so not their normal use but I've certainly pushed them.

They warm up quickly and grip well until they overheat, at which point they get quite squirmy, the front slides before the rear when they get hot, but you do know when you're getting near the edge of the tyre, probably due to the weird tread pattern, the rear might slide first if you've got more than 60bhp.

They've always remained predictable, but the front lacks grip for track use on an FZR400RR (which puts most of its weight through the front tyre)
    Would I have them as road tyres, most definitely yes, would I buy them again for track use, rear yes, front no.

6. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Really Bored
    Liked 395 in 201 posts

Never used Maxxis myself but they have a good rep for mountain bike tyre. Am interested to hear you get on with them.

I wont be using the NCX anymore so i wont have any further input from them. but my next bike will get them when it needs tyres.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 891 in 519 posts

Yep... I had a 'bargain offer' rear on my spare rear wheel a few years back. I fitted it when I swapped wheels after a flat. I found it slithered and twitched badly in the wet, felt like it was running flat (and yes, I double-checked the pressure), and finally it split down between the tread blocks. It looked like it was about to delaminate, so I swapped wheels again. I'd done barely 1000 miles on it when I binned it, and I was fairly surprised to discover it was already half-worn. I doubt it would have made 2k miles.

Maybe it was a bad 'un but I won't be buying another.

Liked 126 in 80 posts

I've just put a set on my fjr1300, its transformed the handling grip is good, I'll let you know about the mileage very soon as I've now done 2500 miles on them all motorway well about 80% of it anyway.
    I recon 6-7000 if I'm lucky , Belgium and back with luggage today.

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,756 in 1,683 posts

They must be onto something, to put that stupid pattern in the edge where you need the most rubber on the road is genius.....on a road bike Iíd have pilot roads every time. But if you like em thatís all that matters 😀

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,756 in 1,683 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    My trackday FZR400RR came with a pair of them on, I was going to change them before my first trackday on it but I never got round to it so I've now done two trackdays on Snetterton with them, so not their normal use but I've certainly pushed them.

They warm up quickly and grip well until they overheat, at which point they get quite squirmy, the front slides before the rear when they get hot, but you do know when you're getting near the edge of the tyre, probably due to the weird tread pattern, the rear might slide first if you've got more than 60bhp.

They've always remained predictable, but the front lacks grip for track use on an FZR400RR (which puts most of its weight through the front tyre)
    Would I have them as road tyres, most definitely yes, would I buy them again for track use, rear yes, front no.
    Genuine question how do you know the front lacks grip and how do you have front end slides that are predictable and why donít you crash when the front slides ?

Liked 126 in 80 posts

Quote Originally Posted by couchcommando View Post
    They must be onto something, to put that stupid pattern in the edge where you need the most rubber on the road is genius.....on a road bike I’d have pilot roads every time. But if you like em that’s all that matters ��
    I bought the as I got them for £125 fitted, on the work bike due to the motorway mileage I normally run an Avon 3D XM on the rear and a BT023-GT on the front as the Avon makes the bike feel like the headraces are on the way out..

They must be onto something, to put that stupid pattern in the edge where you need the most rubber on the road is genius.....on a road bike Iíd have pilot roads every time. But if you like em thatís all that matters 
    Its an area of the tyre I don't visit very much!

15. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Genuine question how do you know the front lacks grip and how do you have front end slides that are predictable and why donít you crash when the front slides ?
    Because I'm a riding God,

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

17. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Or more accurately, I'm not pushing the front that hard so I can easily save it when it slides a little, the slides I've had with it have been on corner exit not entry, I doubt if I'd save from a slide on the way into a corner, my corner entry speed is slow, it's where my track riding really needs to improve.

Snnetterton tomorrow, I was going to change the front tyre for an endurance Conti Race Attack, but as it's going to be wet, I'll probably be better off with the Maxxis.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission