TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Croatia trip 2019

Liked 749 in 354 posts

Default Croatia trip 2019

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Lets go to Croatia we all said whilst trying to drink Reburner out of beer and wine we had a very good go at it too. So that was it Croatia it was and the idea was put into motion. that's to say R was to come up with delightful accommodation and I an area, so immediately contacted TACK to get a steer on where whats and do's and donuts. (love autocorrect) he generously offered to put us up but as two of us would be generous all four would I suggested be foolhardy so I said we'd get somewhere and run it past him to see if he thought it was good idea. we eventually settled on this place.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/hr/vil...s=1&#hotelTmpl

so area agreed and tack thought it a good area so we were on. We were setting of the morning of Friday May 24th aiming for a crossing around three. Friday pm a big ask from N Yorks on a bank holiday weekend so a bit of prep was in order the week before on the van and trailer etc not to mention packing my bike in the trailer so we only had to set off

packed my bike in the trailer after washing it and then packed R's bike in the vito

even though any four of us could get a job on North sea ferries, we've done this so often its always a little unnerving.

Offski at 0730 Friday morning to pick up reburner at his gaff and then pick M up at ashford services just before the chunnel, more packing later and the position for the next 24 hrs is assumed..

people in the Sainsburys carpark never batted an eyelid as we turn up and to all intents and purposes steal a bike from the carpark as fast as we can before fueling the vito and buggering off to the chunnel(we missed the three thirty and got on the next one but pretty good going no major hold ups ) the weather looks promising as we have some "breakfast" somewhere between France / Germany/ Austria / Serbia though I suspect this shot was in France. lots of pretty out of the window This was Austria I think and eventually we pole up at the border between Serbia and Croatia (its now pissing it down) and had been since part way through Austria.

The customs post we'd arrived at was a shonky little spot up in the hills that the sat Nav had obviously chosen on our behalf because of the customer service values such places are proud of.

We pull up and a disinterested border official was rousting another vehicle infront of ours, up goess the barrier into gear I go and up goes the hand and an acusatory figure is wagged at us to stop. As if to say "Oh no you bloody don't who do you think you are!" eventually he approaches us and removes our passports and retires into the shonky building to eventually re appears and points at the trailer until we are all shouting Motard or any other foreign language version of motorbike that he may just understand. Grudgingly he lets the barrier up and were off, So much for shengan, he prob didn't get the memo

We grind through this bit of Serbia and enter Croatia without any fuss though its still pissing down we arrive at the house and get a warm welcome from our host who shows us round. very impressive house lots of amenities not least four bedrooms all ensuite and a SAUNA and a pool

I didn't take a photo of the sauna but it really came into its own later on..

day one its bright and the sun was out now and then so on the bikes And offski there are some interesting roads and surfaces to get used to. The main A roads that we would recognise over here are well surfaced great bends not many unforseen tightening up,mainly predictable constant radius great fun. and further up the hills joining villages lots of virtually single track roads with various surfaces and lots of gravel patches very twisty and good fun but there were slides front and rear. We got to enjoy these as time went on its all down to confidence and early on we were (some of us, me) lacked a bit of it. Coffee stops and local war pieces.

supper was a relaxed affair

As one wit on my FB feed put it just when did Ducati start to offer a chrome sidecar barbecue option. good though it was.
    We had brought plenty of essentials Or more truthfully Reburner had spoilt us with just what we needed. beer wine etc was consumed. the House was a fair distance from shops or bars Rural is what it is. and nice for it.

Day two it was very overcast so we went out and got wet, very wet, but every now and then we got break in the damp to stop and take a look .......follows next post
    Last edited by rodbargee; 01-06-19 at 22:14.

2. The following 6 users liked this useful post by rodbargee:

Liked 749 in 354 posts

Default Re: Croatia trip 2019

just liked this image of the zed day two was wet and we still did a fair few miles

garage coffee stop and then arrived at the coast we thought we'd go to the island that tito owned off the coast We parked up and made use of the local amenities

then ferry to BRIJUNI or more correctly as it turns out Jurassic park-ish it was also still pissing down so why not a boat trip...more to follow..

Once on the island there was lots of faded communist buildings just gently returning to nature as well s a few miserable looking Zebras Ostriches and other assorted safari animals trying to get out of the rain. so we hired a golf buggy to view the island as fast as we could not much wheelsman but a lot of hilarity

Roman ruins too

we then returned to the mainland and had a spirited ride back to the house on the mountain roads very wet and lots of grit but also very do-able and we made surprisingly good progress. no one more surprised than me as I hate loose surfaces especially wet ones. small footnote to the island there were two elephants presented to Tito in the seventies, one died a few years ago and Lanka the surviving female is still there wandering lonely in her enclosure bashing her head against the railings in a distressed manner. its a bloody disgrace iMO I wouldn't blame her if she beat a keeper up or anyone else for that matter, she was born in 1972 making her 48. not that old.

We also went to PULEC on the coast for a shorter outing on the bikes and tried to stay out of the rain. and then a few days later went to a one of the bigger coastal resorts Rijeka slightly art deco and looks like old money was here in force pre communism and ww11

I conclusion I think well be back and hopefully bring some better weather with us

wet Multi and wet b road

Last edited by rodbargee; 04-06-19 at 11:42.

4. The following 6 users liked this useful post by rodbargee:

Liked 2,535 in 1,226 posts
    Blog Entries

4 people would have been no probs.its been the wettest since records began .

Liked 749 in 354 posts

we really did appreciate the offer, but it felt a bit like we'd be taking the piss. The house we ended up in was fine. SAUNA's make for good wet bike gear drying rooms!!
    And, No shit its been wet either....
    Last edited by rodbargee; 03-06-19 at 22:55.

Liked 122 in 65 posts

Great write-up and photos; thank you Rodbargee!

8. The following user liked this post made by stray cat:

Liked 10,467 in 5,994 posts

Tack tells us it's always 30 and dry! He lies!

Still, sounds great. I'm envious!

Liked 2,535 in 1,226 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    Tack tells us it's always 30 and dry! He lies!

Still, sounds great. I'm envious!
    Forecast is 29 degrees for the weekend,

Liked 749 in 354 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrTack View Post
    Forecast is 29 degrees for the weekend,
    son in law currently on the way to croatia with NATO (He's in Air core) bivvying out as no billet Has been organised. did tell him to take a brolly, on a grass verge apparently

Liked 288 in 158 posts
    Blog Entries

Looking forward to riding there again in August-doing a couple of days on one of the islands, but most of the time we will be inland, and on routes to places I've not used or been before. Think this is my 7th trip there, so getting to know the country (If not the language) fairly well, in that I know where towns are in relation to each other. Hope the weather improves by then!

Liked 749 in 354 posts

SIL camping and its 35 deg now bugger.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission