TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 76 to 87 of 87

Thread: Electric scooters

  1. #76
    Should Get Out More Yorick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanzarote
    Posts
    39,616
    Like
    6,151
    Liked 5,932 in 3,733 posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Electric scooters


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    We have lots here, including some with proper suspension, front and rear

  2. #77
    Strange but happy. adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Near a bar
    Posts
    7,812
    Like
    4,677
    Liked 2,558 in 1,418 posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Electric scooters

    Lighting kit on route, I will then have a fully legal spazz wagon!

    this one is going to be donated to the esteemed mother in law, and I will be building one based on a somewhat more substantial base.
    If suitable private land is entered this puppy will do over 40 mph, but most importantly, it will climb very steep hills without losing (legal) speed, and will allow me to carry significant luggage too!
    front and rear suspension, hydraulic disc and kinetic brakes, as standard it has a key system, but I will be upgrading that to a keyless start/stop and fitting a tracker...it may be a bit of a target, and I am no longer up to fighting for it.

    VERY excited!

  3. The following 2 users liked this useful post by adamski:


  4. #78
    Should Get Out More Taipan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boerthal's hill
    Posts
    47,527
    Like
    15,793
    Liked 9,809 in 5,117 posts

    Default Re: Electric scooters

    Iím currently in Mallorca and all types of levy scoots seem to be very popular here. Some real odd ones too, with great big fat wheels in. I think they have them as rentals here too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #79
    Should Get Out More Trogladyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Felpersham
    Posts
    13,094
    Like
    619
    Liked 1,145 in 542 posts
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Electric scooters

    I think the electric scooters are a pretty good idea in many ways. They are green, an convenient, and use up a lot less road space than an Uber. The problem for me is how they are used, and how they are equipped - I see them moving from cycle paths to pavements to roads, ignoring all traffic signs, and traffic lights. There are no standards for brakes and lights - some seem to have no lights despite being used in the dark, and i don't think they have brake lights, nor indicators.

    I agree that urban cyclists re also very badly behaved. So it gets me to wondering whether there should be compulsory registration and insurance for all road vehicles. And I think there need to be clear enforced rules about where you can ride an electric scooter - are they road vehicles, and can they use cycle paths and pavements. Just clear rules on this would be a start.

  6. #80
    Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middle of nowhere
    Posts
    22,703
    Like
    1,496
    Liked 4,756 in 2,984 posts

    Default Re: Electric scooters

    Click, Are E-Scooters Legal?: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0007p04 via @bbciplayer

  7. #81
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Delmarva Peninsula
    Posts
    16,179
    Like
    3,324
    Liked 3,436 in 2,298 posts

    Default Re: Electric scooters

    Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    Click, Are E-Scooters Legal?: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0007p04 via @bbciplayer
    Summary please, for those of us not wanting to sign up.

  8. #82
    Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middle of nowhere
    Posts
    22,703
    Like
    1,496
    Liked 4,756 in 2,984 posts

    Default Re: Electric scooters

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    Summary please, for those of us not wanting to sign up.
    They're popular, they're illegal, the old bill are cracking down, hipsters are calling for them to be legalized,

    Also new fingerprint debit cards are coming next year to increase contactless payments.

  9. #83
    Should Get Out More Pirahna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,478
    Like
    996
    Liked 1,549 in 803 posts

    Default Re: Electric scooters

    Here's my hasty opinion:

    There's car/vans etc and other forms of transport like bicycles, electric scooters, horses and whatever else. Motorised transport doesn't mix well with alternatives so if you want to use an alternative form of transport then you need space to do it. For London, I'd ban all motorised vehicles from a huge area, the pavements are for pedestrians, the roads are for human or electric vehicles. The speed limit is 15mph. Police the new road space vigorously. Give the Police angle grinders, speeding, jumping lights, whatever you're on gets chopped up at the side of the road.

    I realise that shops need to be supplied, builders need to work etc, so trucks and other large vehicles can use the roads outside of peak times, mostly in a time window at night. Public transport will need to be improved and made affordable, large vehicle parks will be needed on the outskirts.

    Stopping people driving into towns works well for just about everywhere. If you had no cars places instantly become much nicer places.

    Anyway, back to my beer.

  10. #84
    Expecting rain saga_lout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Essex, innit
    Posts
    27,996
    Like
    4,217
    Liked 5,027 in 3,358 posts

    Default Re: Electric scooters

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirahna View Post
    ... Give the Police angle grinders, speeding, jumping lights, whatever you're on gets chopped up at the side of the road...
    Police as judge, jury and executioner? I must say you have more faith in the good old British Bobby than I have (and I like the good old British Bobby).

  11. #85
    Should Get Out More DefTrap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Roger Barlow's Tour of Europe
    Posts
    24,058
    Like
    2,811
    Liked 2,656 in 1,585 posts

    Default Re: Electric scooters

    I'd like one but over the age of 25 I reckon the plank factor starts to increase exponentially and tbh I cause fear and alarm just by walking anyway.

    I have to say I love the angst and mithering new tech causes. The edgy unregulated nature is hugely appealing and it must be awesome to be into it from the outset, just up until the sad-acts make it boring.

  12. The following user liked this post made by DefTrap:


  13. #86
    Strange but happy. adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Near a bar
    Posts
    7,812
    Like
    4,677
    Liked 2,558 in 1,418 posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Electric scooters

    Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post
    I'd like one but over the age of 25 I reckon the plank factor starts to increase exponentially and tbh I cause fear and alarm just by walking anyway.

    I have to say I love the angst and mithering new tech causes. The edgy unregulated nature is hugely appealing and it must be awesome to be into it from the outset, just up until the sad-acts make it boring.
    get one, I really love mine, thinking of getting an e-skateboard too.

    very liberating.

  14. #87
    Should Get Out More Yorick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanzarote
    Posts
    39,616
    Like
    6,151
    Liked 5,932 in 3,733 posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Electric scooters

    Quote Originally Posted by adamski View Post
    Lighting kit on route, I will then have a fully legal spazz wagon!

    this one is going to be donated to the esteemed mother in law, and I will be building one based on a somewhat more substantial base.
    If suitable private land is entered this puppy will do over 40 mph, but most importantly, it will climb very steep hills without losing (legal) speed, and will allow me to carry significant luggage too!
    front and rear suspension, hydraulic disc and kinetic brakes, as standard it has a key system, but I will be upgrading that to a keyless start/stop and fitting a tracker...it may be a bit of a target, and I am no longer up to fighting for it.

    VERY excited!
    Pictures ?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission