TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Electric scooters

Liked 5,932 in 3,733 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Electric scooters

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    We have lots here, including some with proper suspension, front and rear

Liked 2,558 in 1,418 posts
    Blog Entries

Lighting kit on route, I will then have a fully legal spazz wagon!

this one is going to be donated to the esteemed mother in law, and I will be building one based on a somewhat more substantial base.
    If suitable private land is entered this puppy will do over 40 mph, but most importantly, it will climb very steep hills without losing (legal) speed, and will allow me to carry significant luggage too!
    front and rear suspension, hydraulic disc and kinetic brakes, as standard it has a key system, but I will be upgrading that to a keyless start/stop and fitting a tracker...it may be a bit of a target, and I am no longer up to fighting for it.

VERY excited!

3. The following 2 users liked this useful post by adamski:

Liked 9,809 in 5,117 posts

Iím currently in Mallorca and all types of levy scoots seem to be very popular here. Some real odd ones too, with great big fat wheels in. I think they have them as rentals here too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked 1,145 in 542 posts
    Blog Entries

I think the electric scooters are a pretty good idea in many ways. They are green, an convenient, and use up a lot less road space than an Uber. The problem for me is how they are used, and how they are equipped - I see them moving from cycle paths to pavements to roads, ignoring all traffic signs, and traffic lights. There are no standards for brakes and lights - some seem to have no lights despite being used in the dark, and i don't think they have brake lights, nor indicators.

I agree that urban cyclists re also very badly behaved. So it gets me to wondering whether there should be compulsory registration and insurance for all road vehicles. And I think there need to be clear enforced rules about where you can ride an electric scooter - are they road vehicles, and can they use cycle paths and pavements. Just clear rules on this would be a start.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,756 in 2,984 posts

Click, Are E-Scooters Legal?: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0007p04 via @bbciplayer

Should Get Out More
    Liked 3,436 in 2,298 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    Click, Are E-Scooters Legal?: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0007p04 via @bbciplayer
    Summary please, for those of us not wanting to sign up.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,756 in 2,984 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    Summary please, for those of us not wanting to sign up.
    They're popular, they're illegal, the old bill are cracking down, hipsters are calling for them to be legalized,

Also new fingerprint debit cards are coming next year to increase contactless payments.

Liked 1,549 in 803 posts

Here's my hasty opinion:

There's car/vans etc and other forms of transport like bicycles, electric scooters, horses and whatever else. Motorised transport doesn't mix well with alternatives so if you want to use an alternative form of transport then you need space to do it. For London, I'd ban all motorised vehicles from a huge area, the pavements are for pedestrians, the roads are for human or electric vehicles. The speed limit is 15mph. Police the new road space vigorously. Give the Police angle grinders, speeding, jumping lights, whatever you're on gets chopped up at the side of the road.

I realise that shops need to be supplied, builders need to work etc, so trucks and other large vehicles can use the roads outside of peak times, mostly in a time window at night. Public transport will need to be improved and made affordable, large vehicle parks will be needed on the outskirts.

Stopping people driving into towns works well for just about everywhere. If you had no cars places instantly become much nicer places.

Anyway, back to my beer.

Liked 5,027 in 3,358 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pirahna View Post
    ... Give the Police angle grinders, speeding, jumping lights, whatever you're on gets chopped up at the side of the road...
    Police as judge, jury and executioner? I must say you have more faith in the good old British Bobby than I have (and I like the good old British Bobby).

Liked 2,656 in 1,585 posts

I'd like one but over the age of 25 I reckon the plank factor starts to increase exponentially and tbh I cause fear and alarm just by walking anyway.

I have to say I love the angst and mithering new tech causes. The edgy unregulated nature is hugely appealing and it must be awesome to be into it from the outset, just up until the sad-acts make it boring.

12. The following user liked this post made by DefTrap:

Liked 2,558 in 1,418 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post
    I'd like one but over the age of 25 I reckon the plank factor starts to increase exponentially and tbh I cause fear and alarm just by walking anyway.

I have to say I love the angst and mithering new tech causes. The edgy unregulated nature is hugely appealing and it must be awesome to be into it from the outset, just up until the sad-acts make it boring.
    get one, I really love mine, thinking of getting an e-skateboard too.

very liberating.

Liked 5,932 in 3,733 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adamski View Post
    Lighting kit on route, I will then have a fully legal spazz wagon!

this one is going to be donated to the esteemed mother in law, and I will be building one based on a somewhat more substantial base.
    If suitable private land is entered this puppy will do over 40 mph, but most importantly, it will climb very steep hills without losing (legal) speed, and will allow me to carry significant luggage too!
    front and rear suspension, hydraulic disc and kinetic brakes, as standard it has a key system, but I will be upgrading that to a keyless start/stop and fitting a tracker...it may be a bit of a target, and I am no longer up to fighting for it.

VERY excited!
    Pictures ?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission