TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Le Mans Garage fun 19/20

At Work
    Liked 487 in 260 posts

Default Le Mans Garage fun 19/20

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I think this is the third of my annual "what I'm doing in the garage this winter" posts. The Le Mans is back up on my bench (which Ive had for a year now and recommended for everyone with dodgy knees and backs). As mentioned in another post and my trip to Le Mans. I was getting 30/32mpg. I've been making gradual changes and keeping a check of the mpg. Putting the atomiser jet back to standard (must have been changed by a previous owner) complete with lowering the needle one notch, got it up to 35mpg The right plug is also now a nice straw colour, although the left hand plug is still sooty due to a dodgy replacment white plastic float. I've now got a a "new" 10g black one to go in.
    For the last couple of rides I disconnected the accelerator pumps by removing the pump arms this got the mpg up to 42mpg.

2019/20 Plans are:
    Re paint the exhausts.
    New float in the left carb and new accelarator pump diaphragms.
    Tune the accelerator pumps, should squirt 5cc of petrol for 20 strokes of the carb, I've bought a measuring cylinder specially.
    Drain the tank and clean the fuel taps and filters.
    Front engine bolt out to clean and copper slip.

2. The following 2 users liked this useful post by GuzziPaul:

Liked 312 in 158 posts

Default Re: Le Mans Garage fun 19/20

That'll keep you busy for a week or so. What will you do the rest of the time?

Liked 5,732 in 3,048 posts
    Blog Entries

Check out getting the exhausts black chromed / ceramic coated if its a keeper

Really Bored
    Liked 836 in 612 posts

Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    that'll keep you busy for a week or so. What will you do the rest of the afternoon?
    ftfy

At Work
    Liked 487 in 260 posts

Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    That'll keep you busy for a week or so. What will you do the rest of the time?
    I know, suprisingly little to do this year. I'll take some other bits off and clean them like the oil return do the vlave timing and points.

Liked 312 in 158 posts

No doubt something will crop up. Probably just before you're due to set off on that long trip.....

Many years ago I was competing in the Roman Ride (remember that?) on my Commando. The return oil pipe decided to part company with the oil filter; all the oil coated the back end and the engine stopped dead. Subsequent post mortem showed the nearside big end locked solid with a banana shaped con rod.

The problem was I was due to set off for Frankfurt on it 2 weeks later so lots of frantic spannering, pressing kind friends into taking the crank to be reground etc saw me on the ferry although with copious amounts of oil leaking from the head joint.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission