TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Identifying issue with starter/ignition

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Identifying issue with starter/ignition

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Hello, I am having some trouble identifying an issue with my motorbike. When attempting to start the motorbike there is an odd clicking sound which comes from the starter relay and the engine doesn't attempt to turn over (bike can be bump started no problem). I checked the starter relay which according to they Haynes manual is working fine. The clicking noise from the starter relay test and when pressing the ignition button are the same, so I'm assuming it's an issue with the starter motor? Is there any other components I should check? I've already checked easily accessible items such as fuses and the spark plug.

Liked 2,658 in 1,585 posts

Default Re: Identifying issue with starter/ignition

Normally it's a dead or almost dead battery.
    Clicking from the starter relay is normal - that's the high load contact closing to link the battery direct to the starter via the heavier gauge cabling.

So, I'd probably start with replacing the battery, or at least use jump leads to connect to a known good battery of the same voltage.
    Starter motors normally give some warning when they go bad, so it'll probably have made nasty noises before now and / or been a pain to start.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Ah sorry I realised I forgot some details, my initial thoughts was the battery, so I replaced it, funnily enough the bike ran for a day or two without a problem with the new battery then wouldn't start. New batteries voltage is fine too.
    As you've mentioned noises I just went to check something, I've had the bike for about a year and it's always made a whirring noise when the key is turned, I assumed this was normal, maybe the fuel pump or something, I've now noticed that it is a higher pitch and I'm fairly certain it originates from the starter motor.

Liked 900 in 501 posts

If you have replaced the battery it may be the charging system. Bump the bike to get it started and check the voltage is above 14.5v. If you also check the battery before starting if it is 12.5v or less it will not start the bike and would also indicate a charging problem such as reg/ rec. Check the obvious first though are you battery terminals nice and tight?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Okay so I checked the voltage values, before starting the voltage is 10.31, when running it is 14.66. The headlights run off the alternator on my bike and do turn on when I bump start it so I don't think that is the problem. Considering its a new battery (checked it was charged before installing) is it possible I've just got a dud battery or something?

Liked 900 in 501 posts

10.31 volts is terrible. Your headlights will not run off your alternator it generates AC voltage and dependant on the bike model can be anything up to 80v per phase. Did you check the battery connection? Did you check the negative is connected properly to the frame? Sounds like the battery is not charging which if it is showing 14.66 on the connection when running means good charging system followed by either duff battery or bad connection.

Liked 2,658 in 1,585 posts

Probably still worth jump leading off another known good battery just in case the new battery is faulty or gone bad.

You need to eliminate battery and 'wiring' issues before proceeding to the next step, which us inevitably part substitution (starter etc) to find the fault.

At Work
    Liked 97 in 83 posts

Is it a125cc? A lot of newer bikes come with 5.5 Ah batteries when 7 Ah seems to be what they need.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

battery or starter..

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,380 in 848 posts

Have you checked the voltage when running at normal/high revs?
    If the regulator has gone it could be boiling the battery and killing it that way.

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,380 in 848 posts

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission