TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: France: any horror stories?

Liked 129 in 84 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: France: any horror stories?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Flash fines now follow you home if they get your plate.
    Stop lines are the gendarmerie favourite trick. In the car it's to the line, stop, count 2.3 then go. You have to be seen to have stopped.
    Speed limits going back up, depending on which dept you live in, but no firm dates given yet.
    Gloves are now compulsory, but shorts and T shirts are perfectly fine!

Liked 7,587 in 4,297 posts

This article pinged up on a Friendface group and I thought it quite apt...

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...in-france-2018

3. The following 2 users liked this useful post by KungFooBob:

Liked 295 in 160 posts
    Blog Entries

Some good pointers in that KFB, especially the "50kph from the village sign to the crossed out village sign". I didn't realise that for the first few days of my first trip to France.

A few of my mates over there have to ride in uniform. In the summer this consists of horse riding boots, jodpurs, a short sleeved cotton shirt, and a helmet. Oh, and thankfully, a pair of gloves. Seeing as their patrol includes the roads around Andorra, it gets a bit chilly at times.

Also beware of anomalies in Spain. I drove my van (with a couple of motorbikes in the back) down to Cartegena, not realising the speed limits on motorways of 120kph does not apply to vans-limit for those is 90kph. Easy to speed on them when they are so empty.

Also bizarre is the same stretch of road will have TWO different limits. Going east to west it can be an 80kph limit, but west to east, the limit is 60kph.

Liked 7,587 in 4,297 posts

There's different limits for vans in Fronch too, in fact there's different limits for different weights of vans.

My Motorhome sets off cameras on the French motorway, even tho I'm doing the under 3500kg speed limit, I guess the cameras can't tell the difference so just snap anything doing the lorry limit if they're above a certain height.

6. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Liked 135 in 88 posts

Quote Originally Posted by sadlonelygit View Post
    Stop lines are the gendarmerie favourite trick. In the car it's to the line, stop, count 2.3 then go. You have to be seen to have stopped.
    Speed limits going back up, depending on which dept you live in, but no firm dates given yet.
    You can't wear up flops either, I was reliably informed by a gendarme a couple of years ago.
    I'm in Castellane now for a few days. I'll report back if they are up to any jiggery pokery.

Liked 10,364 in 5,405 posts

Quote Originally Posted by sadlonelygit View Post

"C'est quoi ce bordel!", Taipan exclaimed via google translate...

Liked 2,335 in 1,198 posts

For a nation that's so hot on individual freedom they do seem to be absolutely anal over motoring offences and ridiculously nannying where bikes are concerned. It wasn't always thus, as back in the 80s I once did Dordogne to Calais in a day, didn't drop much below 90 on the N roads and pretty sure I went through a police speed check. It was lunchtime, though.

The list of national rules for France is a fair bit longer than other European countries

http://www.fema-online.eu/website/in...riding-abroad/

Liked 3,368 in 1,708 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    For a nation that's so hot on individual freedom they do seem to be absolutely anal over motoring offences and ridiculously nannying where bikes are concerned. It wasn't always thus, as back in the 80s I once did Dordogne to Calais in a day, didn't drop much below 90 on the N roads and pretty sure I went through a police speed check. It was lunchtime, though.

The list of national rules for France is a fair bit longer than other European countries

http://www.fema-online.eu/website/in...riding-abroad/

The bit that adds the bulk is the bit about the pullution and crit air stickers!

The one thing I'm surprised they haven't added is that glasses/contact wearers should carry a spare pair. Common sense sort of but they are quite picky about it in cars!

A Bit Bored
    Liked 9 in 8 posts

The Bennett document was extremely useful.

Do I understand it correctly, that there are stops before you enter a village only meant to... make you stop? Like, I am riding along a D route and they make me stop because I am entering a village, with no crossing and such? What kind of madness is this? Or am I getting something wrong?

Liked 2,749 in 1,638 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Omobono View Post
    The Bennett document was extremely useful.

Do I understand it correctly, that there are stops before you enter a village only meant to... make you stop? Like, I am riding along a D route and they make me stop because I am entering a village, with no crossing and such? What kind of madness is this? Or am I getting something wrong?
    It mean that for stop signs and lines you are meant to physically stop and put your foot down as a physical indication of stopping RATHER that what more experienced rider's might do, roll up and scope out the junction and carry on while still in motion.
    That said, I've lived here 10 years and I've never bothered learning that new habit.

I don't think I'll ever relearn priorité à droite from sideroads with no stop lines (having right of way) because it's fecking retarded and dangerous.

13. The following user liked this post made by DefTrap:

Liked 2,335 in 1,198 posts

Quote Originally Posted by whysub View Post
    Also beware of anomalies in Spain. I drove my van (with a couple of motorbikes in the back) down to Cartegena, not realising the speed limits on motorways of 120kph does not apply to vans-limit for those is 90kph.
    Same situation exists in the UK and isn't widely known. Van speed limits are 10mph lower on 50/60/NSL roads and only the full 70 on motorways. Fortunately the speed cameras don't care.

15. The following user liked this post made by Tomcat:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,251 in 2,442 posts
    Blog Entries

Which is why I no longer drive a van.

I now drive a motor home. Curiously, it looks exactly like my old van.

17. The following 2 users liked this useful post by cheb:

Liked 2,838 in 2,032 posts

Wish i left mine registered a s a bus. Tax was only £165. Now as a camper its same as PLG and a good £235 or there about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission