TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 14 of 138 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF is going on (Gender etc)?

Liked 315 in 212 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: WTF is going on (Gender etc)?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dazzle View Post
    I'm interested in what works, not what people think should work.
    this

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Biarritz (summer)
    Liked 1,672 in 978 posts

Quote Originally Posted by jane View Post
    i doubt many people are dim enough to be able to entertain that interpretation, fewer still to entertain it seriously
    Have you met the British public? The figures say it all and excuses get forgotten !

About 15 years ago there was a census. Lot's of people thought it would be funny to put "Jedi" as a religion. As a result Jedi was going to become a recognised religion. As a result other religious groups were able to campaign "stop teaching just christianity, we have lots of religions, even Jedi!".

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,944 in 2,784 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    I was of course commenting on the fact that it is and has been mainly men who have made the laws that affect mainly women and not just recently - throughout history. I have no idea of the ratio of male/female abortions, it doesn't interest me but it is women that have to carry the unborn child and who bear the brunt of raising it while men are simply able to impregnate and walk away. That they want to continue to dictate to women about any of that just shows what they think of any sort of gender equality.

So if the cap fits, KD, wear it.
    This is not Schrödinger's cat we're talking about here, the issue is not a simple black and white, yes or no, good or bad moral dilemma. It is a situation which occurs on a regular basis hundreds of thousands of times a day all over the world. Every corner of the world has a different set of attitudes, beliefs and social norms. China had its one baby per couple, the middle east seems to be "the more the merrier", there are war zones, rape victims, mentally retarded, children and even disability issues to consider. Not a one of us can say "I will decide" but nor can you suggest a blanket rule that "the mother will decide" in all cases.

Clearly no one would condone the idea of killing a new born baby. But when does a viable foetus form exactly? Some suggest contraception itself is morally wrong. There are shades of grey and that in itself should, in a modern society allow room for debate and to allow people to express a view. There is no right and wrong here, we are allowed to agree or disagree with others but we can agree to disagree without it becoming a slanging match, otherwise, what is the point in discussing anything?

4. The following user liked this post made by Screwdriver:

Liked 5,299 in 3,553 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kneerly Down View Post
    I think you misrepresented wobble.
    He appears perfectly happy to kill the baby at any time it is still in the womb.
    I'm still trying to get my head around the idea that killing somebody and calling it abortion is OK but if you wait a few weeks (or months, or years) they call it murder and lock you up for it.

Liked 315 in 212 posts
    Blog Entries

why privilege conception over consciousness, or the ability to breathe?

Liked 593 in 353 posts

I think you misrepresented wobble.
    He appears perfectly happy to kill the baby at any time it is still in the womb.
    Not exactly what I said, is it? Up to a certain point of the pregnancy, it's not really a baby, but I think we are now getting into the realms of at what point a fertilised egg becomes a person, and I'm not medically aware enough to get into that. Others are, and that's why there are rules about when a termination is permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneerly Down
    So much easier to kill those who 'might' be messed up eh?

I'm not talking about killing babies and you know it. It's interesting to note that your solution to potentially hundreds of thousands of unwanted babies every single year is that we, as a society, will look after them - How many do you personally plan on taking in then? it sounds to me that you are saying no woman ever has the right to abort a pregnancy under any circumstances, she must go through pregnancy and childbirth whether she wants to or not because you say so, yet you're not personally prepared to do anything about the unwanted babies that will result from your decision, you're happy for it to be societys problem...and if females don't want that situation then they should live their life according to what you think is right.

I get that you have strong views on this and you have faith, and I respect that and in your version of an ideal world, people would never have sex before they are married, people would only have sex to procreate so unwanted pregnancies would never happen and this wouldn't be an issue...but we don't live in an ideal world, people DO have sex, unwanted pregnancies DO happen, and not everyone wants to live their life how you choose to.

Choose to...important word.

You make choice about how you conduct your life, yet you want to take that choice away from other people. Maybe give that a little thought. Or just insult me if it's easier

8. The following 3 users liked this useful post by wobbler:

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Biarritz (summer)
    Liked 1,672 in 978 posts

Quote Originally Posted by demographic View Post
    Eh? Name one who has transitioned from male to female and is allowed to compete at the highest level as a female? I'm no expert in womans athletics but I cant think of any offhand.
    Kate Weatherly, Average mens MTB racer, podium finishing womens MTB racer !

https://interactives.stuff.co.nz/201...playing-field/

Liked 315 in 212 posts
    Blog Entries

for the most part it seemms pretty absurd to me to allow someone who went through a typically male puberty to compete against women

Liked 5,299 in 3,553 posts

Quote Originally Posted by wobbler View Post
    <snip>

I'm not talking about killing babies and you know it...
    I don't know it

If it's not my own unborn child, I personally don't believe I'm entitled to a democratic voice or opinion on what any woman does with hers. It's just not my business. We are fortunate to have autonomy here. I may not agree with the decisions someone makes, but I agree with their right to make them...
    What is an unborn child if it's not a baby?

Liked 4,219 in 2,826 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jane View Post
    for the most part it seemms pretty absurd to me to allow someone who went through a typically male puberty to compete against women
    In women’s sport, yes. Men don’t belong there.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 3,680 in 2,455 posts

Do you mean the abortion law having a direct effect on mainly women in that it is majority girls that are aborted?
    If my hugely biased principles are that I think it wrong to kill babies in the womb then yes, guilt as charged
    It's the woman who will have to carry the child. Her body her choice.

At what point in development, fertilized egg, morula, blastocyst, embryo, fetus do you consider it to be a living being? What about ectopic pregnancies? Other occasions where the mother's life is in jeopardy if she carries out to term? Spontaneous abortions? Severe birth defects like anencephaly?

14. The following user liked this post made by Bwana:

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,944 in 2,784 posts

Makes me wonder what the legal requirements are to be accepted as a trangender fluid manwoman.

I've always fancied the idea of competing in rythmic gymnastics.

Should Get Out More

Not exactly what I said, is it? Up to a certain point of the pregnancy, it's not really a baby, but I think we are now getting into the realms of at what point a fertilised egg becomes a person, and I'm not medically aware enough to get into that. Others are, and that's why there are rules about when a termination is permitted.

I'm not talking about killing babies and you know it. It's interesting to note that your solution to potentially hundreds of thousands of unwanted babies every single year is that we, as a society, will look after them - How many do you personally plan on taking in then? it sounds to me that you are saying no woman ever has the right to abort a pregnancy under any circumstances, she must go through pregnancy and childbirth whether she wants to or not because you say so, yet you're not personally prepared to do anything about the unwanted babies that will result from your decision, you're happy for it to be societys problem...and if females don't want that situation then they should live their life according to what you think is right.

I get that you have strong views on this and you have faith, and I respect that and in your version of an ideal world, people would never have sex before they are married, people would only have sex to procreate so unwanted pregnancies would never happen and this wouldn't be an issue...but we don't live in an ideal world, people DO have sex, unwanted pregnancies DO happen, and not everyone wants to live their life how you choose to.

Choose to...important word.

You make choice about how you conduct your life, yet you want to take that choice away from other people. Maybe give that a little thought. Or just insult me if it's easier
    Over here most of the folks that don't want women to have access to abortion don't seem to give a toss about the child after it pops out.

Should Get Out More

Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    I don't know it

What is an unborn child if it's not a baby?
    Daddy doesn't just shoot a tiny person up there. Fertilized egg, morula, blastocyst, embryo, fetus. I may have left off a few stages.

Liked 2,533 in 1,401 posts

It's not safe sex in any way for a child under the age of consent to have sex...it is abuse.
    If two people of equal age under 16 have sex, who is the abuser?

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission