TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Diesel Injector Cleaners

Liked 2,776 in 1,987 posts

Default Diesel Injector Cleaners

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Placebo or do they work? If they work who is best. I dont have the advantage of having a garage close by that sells premium diesels what is a bit shit.

Liked 7,183 in 4,052 posts

Default Re: Diesel Injector Cleaners

Have you tried adding a bit of two-smoke oil to your fuel?

Last direct injection diesel engine I had ran a lot smoother/quieter with a litre of supermarket two stroke oil in a full tank of derv.

Liked 9,700 in 5,061 posts

I think the prevention is easier than the cure for sure. Not sure any of those additives work better than a good old Italian tune up tbh. As KFB says the 2 stroke oil is supposed to be good, but amount to add seems sketchy. My F-i-L's Picasso 2.0 hdi rarely gets out of the 30mph zones but always passes its emission test at MOT time. He uses Millers additive in it religiously and has done since he's had the car which is about 7 years now. I think he'd done as well using the local BP Ultimate but he;d have to go into town to do that!

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,409 in 2,062 posts

Have you tried thrashing the bollocks out of it and getting it good and hot - my preferred first fix method

5. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,119 in 2,357 posts
    Blog Entries

FWIW my van either pootles about the island, rarely getting above 60 and no more than a 50 mile round trip, or it gets battered down mainland roads for hours at a time as fast as is legal.

The latter noticeably clears its tubes, much better acceleration once I've cleared the highlands.

On island it gets Gulf fuel, on the mainland it's the cheapest supermarket diesel I can find.

Liked 93 in 77 posts

Only one I ever found to have any effect was this stuff - https://www.amazon.co.uk/BG244-DIESE.../dp/B0062KYGZC

I had a Mondeo TDCi that hunted in idle, ran this stuff through it and it cleared it up for about 6 months at a time. Did that for a couple of years.

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,349 in 831 posts

I think the modern injectors are more likely to suffer from wear than carbon build-up, which I think is what most of the additive bottles claim to clear.
    Might be worth trying the additive route but I've not found they do anything with a modern diesel that has already been treated to an Italian tune-up.

I have had long periods of running my Discovery 3 with and without 2SO and have found it does seem to run noticeably better with 300ml of 2SO per full tank of diesel.

9. The following user liked this post made by Kneerly Down:

Liked 303 in 150 posts

I tried 2 stroke oil for several thousand miles in my Discovery Td5 and noticed no difference at all. What did make a huge and noticeable difference was using French supermarket fuel on a recent trip. The engine was much coarser and felt rough through the handbrake lever, as well as producing black smoke on inclines. A tank full of Shell fuelsave in Portsmouth restored its good manners.

Liked 2,776 in 1,987 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    I think the prevention is easier than the cure for sure. Not sure any of those additives work better than a good old Italian tune up tbh. As KFB says the 2 stroke oil is supposed to be good, but amount to add seems sketchy. My F-i-L's Picasso 2.0 hdi rarely gets out of the 30mph zones but always passes its emission test at MOT time. He uses Millers additive in it religiously and has done since he's had the car which is about 7 years now. I think he'd done as well using the local BP Ultimate but he;d have to go into town to do that!
    BP Ultimate i love. This engine is the same that was in my last Pug van and when i put it in you almost instantly felt the difference in smoother and quieter. Only 2T I have just now is garden tool. Would that do the job also? I like the fact its green and a lot of random tank dipping been going on round here. Dont want a hint of red in my tank

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Have you tried thrashing the bollocks out of it and getting it good and hot - my preferred first fix method
    Its a 1.9D as in no turbo. No such thing as Thrashing. I managed 90 on a big hill but that did nowt. I have some Ultimate in my Convoy but not been using that lately so lucky if i have a gallon in there.

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,349 in 831 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    BP Ultimate i love. This engine is the same that was in my last Pug van and when i put it in you almost instantly felt the difference in smoother and quieter. Only 2T I have just now is garden tool. Would that do the job also? I like the fact its green and a lot of random tank dipping been going on round here. Dont want a hint of red in my tank
    Reckoning was JASO FC or higher spec. Garden tool 2SO is prob FB, which is much higher smoke IIRC.
    I used to buy a load of Castrol when they were doing their semi-regular sell-off at 2 per 1l bottle.

13. The following user liked this post made by Kneerly Down:

Liked 1,491 in 1,046 posts
    Blog Entries

forget the two stroke.

Miller's Diesel Power Plus or whatever it's called now. I read about it decades ago almost pre-internet in a caravan magazine & it's always mentioned on Honesy John etc. Anyhow I used it for years, just every so often & always pre MOT plus change air filter & Italian Tune up.

Only reason I don't buy it now is because Shell V Power (or whatever) does it better/ quicker & gives me a bit more shove. BP Ultimate or anything else doesn't do it for my (turbo) diesels.

If it's that old to be normally aspirated, does it have an EGR jobbie? Might very well not, but if it does have a google to see if you can blank it off. That helps-should see the amount of gunk those shove all over your inlet manifold after 100k miles. It kind of self cleans if you do sort it.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission