Thread: London surrounding & Essex

Hybrid View

A Bit Bored
    Liked 96 in 35 posts

Default London surrounding & Essex

Just a quick prompt to get to know whoís is local to me. Will always be good to know for future meets etc.

Ride On,

A.

Liked 1,816 in 1,194 posts

Default Re: London surrounding & Essex

I'm in Hertford and ride mainly in north Essex/Suffolk. Loads of nice roads about in Essex.

3. The following user liked this post made by Supermofo:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 96 in 35 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    I'm in Hertford and ride mainly in north Essex/Suffolk. Loads of nice roads about in Essex.
    Awesome thatís a good start, at least Iím sure youíve got plenty of knowledge on the area. Iím sure given time once Iíve passed and got a bike I can make the journey for a ride

A.

Quote Originally Posted by hotashes View Post
    Awesome that’s a good start, at least I’m sure you’ve got plenty of knowledge on the area. I’m sure given time once I’ve passed and got a bike I can make the journey for a ride

A.
    A worthy investment if you can afford it is a bike TomTom/Garmin with thrill ride function, you can short cut years of trial and error with roads for £300. I put off getting one for years but wouldn't be without one now.

6. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Supermofo:

Liked 303 in 227 posts

I'm in east London - i generally ride to the Tea Hut in Epping and back once a week then have a lie down.

8. The following 2 users liked this useful post by asmethurst:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 96 in 35 posts

Quote Originally Posted by asmethurst View Post
    I'm in east London - i generally ride to the Tea Hut in Epping and back once a week then have a lie down.
    Cool, never heard of that place. Only high beach in Epping -_-

A.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 96 in 35 posts

A worthy investment if you can afford it is a bike TomTom/Garmin with thrill ride function, you can short cut years of trial and error with roads for £300. I put off getting one for years but wouldn't be without one now.
    Awesome so basically it will give me already tried routes that bikers rage about and confirm good experiences? If so it makes sense.

Thanks,

A.

Awesome so basically it will give me already tried routes that bikers rage about and confirm good experiences? If so it makes sense.

Thanks,

A.
    Not as such although it does come (the TomTom) with pre loaded great rides, but most are in Europe.

Instead what it does is allow you to select a place and it'll plan the most twisty route possible. There are 3 twisty settings and 3 elevation settings. So say for example you wanted to hit the coast you pick a spot or postcode and it'll work it's magic and give you a good route. A good example was my Yeovil trip the other month, plug Yeovil to Hertford into Google and it a 3 hour motorway trundge. With the TomTom set to max twisty/elevation it gave me a 6 hour rollercoast ride of some of Englands finest b-roads.

It's not perfect in that it's a bit poop in town as it'll take you round the houses literally, but once in the good stuff it's amazing. On a sportsbike you'd probably want the medium twisty at most as max can throw in the odd lane where nature has started to reclaim the tarmac! Where it is worth it's price is not having to worry about finding good roads.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/340728

12. The following user liked this post made by Supermofo:

Liked 451 in 198 posts

can you get it as a phone app

Quote Originally Posted by formula400 View Post
    can you get it as a phone app
    Dunno. I'd guess not with Tom Tom or Garmin ones as else you'd not buy the expensive sat navs. Don't know if someone else does one

A Bit Bored
    Liked 96 in 35 posts

Any idea on how I go about connecting the wiring onto the bike, I read a thread on here from some years ago that I could connect it into the sidelights?

Iíve no knowledge on motorbike wiring

Ta,

A.

Any idea on how I go about connecting the wiring onto the bike, I read a thread on here from some years ago that I could connect it into the sidelights?

I’ve no knowledge on motorbike wiring

Ta,

A.
    I got my brother to do mine as I too am a electrical/mechanical numpty He had a soldering iron and loads of connectors as he plays with RC cars

We just ran the supplied cables through the bike to the battery and he soldered on connectors at the battery end. Had to remove a panel and the seats etc but managed a neat tucked away job. The 690 doesn't have much in the way of body work so was easy to hide. The mount doesn't draw any current until the sat nav is connected. I seem to recall the supplied cables don't have any connectors, my brother had some some of those battery connectors that you use the battery screw to hold in place and he soldered them on with a little rubber sheath over the top. I'm guessing you could connect to lights or something.

If you are completely clueless run the cables as I did and then get a shop to just solder on the connectors, should only be a 10 min job if that.

17. The following user liked this post made by Supermofo:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 96 in 35 posts

Default London surrounding & Essex

@whysub you are Essex right?

A.

Liked 2,689 in 1,604 posts

You want to wire the + feed into a switched circuit (one that is powered up with ignition key on).
    There should be plenty of those in the headlight bucket.

These accessory kits tend to come with 'solutions' to get you going, like connectors to allow you to branch off a cable w,/o any special tools. So whilst it's not how a pro would do it it is feasible.

20. The following user liked this post made by DefTrap:

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission