TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yellow and amber tint visors/Pinlock inserts

Really Bored
    Liked 420 in 216 posts

Default Yellow and amber tint visors/Pinlock inserts

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I need to replace the Pinlock insert in my visor and am wondering what benefits the yellow or amber tints offer over a clear one.

Given we're coming into Winter most of my riding will be in the dark as leave the house at 6.30am/arrive at work 7.45am and don't leave the office until 7.30pm most nights so I'm thinking the clear tint is still best for me.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 77 in 42 posts

Default Re: Yellow and amber tint visors/Pinlock inserts

Not tried a yellow tint myself yet - but there's some useful information/experiences here

https://www.therevcounter.co.uk/thre...-Yellow-visors

3. The following user liked this post made by Luddite:

At Work
    Liked 509 in 274 posts

I had some yellow tint cycle glasses I used to wear cyling to work in the winter. Realy suprising the difference they made in low light conditions (not dark though). Really enhanced the contrast between different objects.

5. The following user liked this post made by GuzziPaul:

Liked 1,639 in 957 posts

I've never used yellow on a bike (but it's an excellent filter for skiing).

Don't use pinlocks either (hate them)

Liked 3,651 in 1,858 posts

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post

Wish I'd had a pinlock in my visor when I rode to the valley on a bastard cold morning! Everytime I closed the visor it steamed up and when I opened it I felt like I had frostbite on my cheeks!! LOL

8. The following user liked this post made by Noggin:

Liked 4,361 in 2,182 posts

How come, i have them fitted on all visors i use as a godsend against misting

As for yellow tint i have cycling glasses with yellow or amber tint for low light or pissing down during the day but didnt like them when i used them at night and reverted to clear lens

10. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Bigyin:

Really Bored
    Liked 420 in 216 posts

Any reason why? They can be a PITA to fit properly but once sorted they’re essential for Winter riding IMO.

Liked 3,862 in 2,556 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post
    Any reason why? They can be a PITA to fit properly but once sorted they’re essential for Winter riding IMO.
    Only ever used them as standard fitting on an OEM visor, and wouldn't want to be without it. But they're probably softer than a coated visor, so suffer scratches causing the starburst problems.

13. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

Liked 1,639 in 957 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

I find they mist, and they're so soft they scratch too easily, (i store my spare in a visor pocket). I also don't like the starring effect after dark, i have enough difficulty seeing in the current state of over-glare we have these days.

I prefer Bob Heath, works for me.

15. The following 2 users liked this useful post by RiceBurner:

Liked 3,862 in 2,556 posts

I find they mist, and they're so soft they scratch too easily, (i store my spare in a visor pocket). I also don't like the starring effect after dark, i have enough difficulty seeing in the current state of over-glare we have these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGitYawn
    Pah! Whippersnapper! You should have been around in the days before coated visors! Pah!

17. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Horse:

Really Bored
    Liked 420 in 216 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Only ever used them as standard fitting on an OEM visor, and wouldn't want to be without it. But they're probably softer than a coated visor, so suffer scratches causing the starburst problems.

I prefer Bob Heath, works for me.
    They do indeed scratch easier than a coated visor as I found out when I cleaned my previous Pinlock using a V2 sponge.

I can can never get Bob Heath or Rain-ex to work properly nowadays.

Liked 4,361 in 2,182 posts

To be fair i run a black visor with a pinlock most of the year with some MX goggles in the top box in case i get caught out in the dark so my pinlocks are fairly well looked after.

Its that time of year now where i have fitted my new, never used, clear visor with pinlock thats been in a wrapper since i bought the helmet last year so will see how it lasts

I did have some issues with the pinlock fitted to my Tour X race black visor after about 4 years and only after riding for hours in biblical rain on my way to John O Groats as it started to mist a bit ..... removed it at the B and B , wiped it down and heated it up with a hairdryer and reapplied it and its been fine since

20. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Bigyin:

Liked 1,639 in 957 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    To be fair i run a black visor with a pinlock most of the year with some MX goggles in the top box in case i get caught out in the dark so my pinlocks are fairly well looked after.

Its that time of year now where i have fitted my new, never used, clear visor with pinlock thats been in a wrapper since i bought the helmet last year so will see how it lasts

I did have some issues with the pinlock fitted to my Tour X race black visor after about 4 years and only after riding for hours in biblical rain on my way to John O Groats as it started to mist a bit ..... removed it at the B and B , wiped it down and heated it up with a hairdryer and reapplied it and its been fine since
    I know they work well for most people, they just don't for me.

FWIW I also don't like the fact that they aren't full width. I have good, wide peripheral vision and when the unprotected areas of the visor mist it feels like I'm wearing blinkers. I seem to use that peripheral vision quite a lot without realising it, because i only really notice it when it's blocked.

22. The following 4 users liked this useful post by RiceBurner:

Liked 2,030 in 1,333 posts

My first ever pinlock was a light reactive one and was really good. It was yellowish normally and turned a darkish blue in bright sunlight. I found that perfect for winter commuting but haven't seen the same since. My current Shark came with a clear pinlock and I just use the drop down visor. But I don't ride in winter anymore so I reckon the drop down would fog up.

24. The following user liked this post made by Supermofo:

Really Bored
    Liked 420 in 216 posts

FWIW I also don't like the fact that they aren't full width. I have good, wide peripheral vision and when the unprotected areas of the visor mist it feels like I'm wearing blinkers. I seem to use that peripheral vision quite a lot without realising it, because i only really notice it when it's blocked.
    I can understand that, even without the misting around the periphery of the Pinlock you can still feel blinkered. I get the same feeling using the drop down sun visor because it's not full coverage, in fact that's quite off-putting.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    My first ever pinlock was a light reactive one and was really good. It was yellowish normally and turned a darkish blue in bright sunlight. I found that perfect for winter commuting but haven't seen the same since. My current Shark came with a clear pinlock and I just use the drop down visor. But I don't ride in winter anymore so I reckon the drop down would fog up.
    The drop down on my Shoei mists up to the point it's totally useless on cold sunny days. I must admit that I have considered going back to using a clear and a dark visor.

26. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Beancounter:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission