TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Helmets - Arai Pro Shade vs Dark Visor vs Sunglasses

Liked 1,771 in 1,157 posts

Default Re: New Helmets - Arai Pro Shade vs Dark Visor vs Sunglasses

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I got a replacement side pod for my Arai when I crashed in it, but there was only the slightest mark on it so kept it for a spare. 2 years later I hit a wood pigeon and it popped a side pod off. Guess which side Bloody things.

Liked 643 in 398 posts

For years I used a dark visor on my Arai and carried a clear one with me. I was able to swap them pretty quickly, easily less than a minute (apart from getting the thing out of my bag).

Then I got a Shoei GT Air with the internal dark visor and, to be honest, I hardly ever have it down the whole way. Normally an inch down is enough to block the sun out.

I've seen the Arai answer and it does look a bit of a lash up, but I guess it will do the job.

Why does the OP need to ride with the visor slightly open all the time? That can't be good for wind and noise.

Liked 1,453 in 842 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Never broken one.

I'm on my 5th Arai.

I think I've worn out one side pod over the years.
    Had Arai's for at least 15 years and have always been able to swap the visor without even taking the helmet off, once i'd practised it a few times (even with the newer system that has the levers).

Like 'Yin - I like to just have the dark visor for most of the time, and carry a clear spare for night. (Mind you - I pretty much always have a top-box on the bike so it's easy to carry shit. )

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,721 in 2,960 posts

Electrical tape of invincibility for the win;
    IMG_20180920_123936 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by GuzziPaul View Post
    having a big void at the front/top of the helmet must compromise the strength of the helmet.
    The void will be in the polystyrene, so maybe a reduction in impact absorption but not strength, and they'd have to pass the same SHARP tests

At Work
    Liked 445 in 236 posts

Didn't think about it been in the polystyrene void, although they don't have to pass Sharp tests, that just a rating system. It's the BS, SNELL and/or Regulation ECE 22-05 that they must pass. I read (or saw on Youtube) that helmets with integral visors were not approved for motorcycle racing I assumed because they are weaker/less energy absorbing. Although on the Sharp tests the Shoei with integral shade, does have a decent rating for the forehead area.
    Arai believe an integral visor compromises the helmet which is why they have come up with the silly Arai Pro Shade instead.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 25 in 15 posts

I bought the Arai debut in the end but didn't go for the pro shade or a dark visor, I'll just get a pair or bike specific shatterproof sunglasses. Seems like a decent lid though, a definite step up over my 10 year old Arai chaser!

Liked 153 in 81 posts

Quote Originally Posted by GuzziPaul View Post
    I read (or saw on Youtube) that helmets with integral visors were not approved for motorcycle racing I assumed because they are weaker/less energy absorbing.
    If a helmet has an ACU gold sticker on it, then it can be used for racing (in this country anyway - might be different overseas!).
    I have a Shoei GT Air with in integral visor and an ACU gold sticker.

8. The following user liked this post made by Doc:

Liked 7,168 in 4,040 posts

The ACU aint that picky.

They approve open face lids for classic racing!

Liked 3,720 in 1,895 posts

On the subject of side pods i have 2 spare right hand ones as both times they went "ping fuckit" it was the left one that went

Not Much To Do
    Liked 204 in 119 posts

I have Pro Shade on my Arai....wasn't convinced about it to begin with, as it had a tendency to flip down if I looked over my shoulder at speed. Unwelcome in the dark. Then I discovered that I hadn't been pushing the shade back fully on the visor when I raised it, until it "engaged". No problems since.

Having said that, I find it tricky to lift it off the visor and raise it, in heavier gloves - it's hard to get your fingertips between the shade and the visor. Still happy to have it, tho the internal ones moght be easier to raise/lower.

Liked 3,720 in 1,895 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wossname View Post
    I have Pro Shade on my Arai....wasn't convinced about it to begin with, as it had a tendency to flip down if I looked over my shoulder at speed. Unwelcome in the dark. Then I discovered that I hadn't been pushing the shade back fully on the visor when I raised it, until it "engaged". No problems since.

Having said that, I find it tricky to lift it off the visor and raise it, in heavier gloves - it's hard to get your fingertips between the shade and the visor. Still happy to have it, tho the internal ones moght be easier to raise/lower.
    The internal ones are a lot easier. When you see bike cops flying about with latest Shoei flip front that all have the internal dark visor i would like to think getting done for a dark visor was a thing of the past unless you take the piss and ride with it at night

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission