TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Drones. Who do you call if it's up to no good. Also can you have a go at it?

Liked 1,304 in 951 posts

Default Re: Drones. Who do you call if it's up to no good. Also can you have a go at it?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    They're usually WiFi frequencies (2.4GHz, 5.4GHz or 5.8GHz), you could make a jammer, though finding a radio on those frequencies with a high enough output to make a difference would be a challenge (you'll need at least 20 watts to have an instant effect), you'll knock out every WiFi network in the area and you'll be breaking the law.

There are some drone enthusiasts at work and one of them told me he has a drone which you can program GPS waypoints into and it will go off and fly to each waypoint and return with no input from him once it's on it's way - I think he said it has a range of 10 miles.

I also know a drone instructor who certifies people to fly drones commercially if anyone wants any serious questions answered.
    I thought that would be the case.

You would of thought the gov would set some sort of restriction on the use of certain frequencies. If they made it so that the drones used only certain frequencies they can be independently shut down without affecting other devices.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,329 in 2,014 posts

Default Re: Drones. Who do you call if it's up to no good. Also can you have a go at it?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    I thought that would be the case.

You would of thought the gov would set some sort of restriction on the use of certain frequencies. If they made it so that the drones used only certain frequencies they can be independently shut down without affecting other devices.
    If you look at the wireless spectrum there's no spare space anywhere in the higher reaches that you need for decent through put, baud rate is directly proportional to frequency (I can't remember the equation though)

Liked 1,223 in 578 posts

Would a well aimed hose or jet washer sort it out?
    Is the correct answer. Anything else, even a BB gun will get you into big trouble.

4. The following user liked this post made by McSatan:

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,696 in 2,942 posts

They're usually WiFi frequencies (2.4GHz, 5.4GHz or 5.8GHz),
    Are they using Wi-Fi for the control aspects then? I thought they only used that for the data / image stream?

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    Are they using Wi-Fi for the control aspects then? I thought they only used that for the data / image stream?
    I don't know, I thought so as it seems weird to have multiple radios in one drone, I could look it up, but I'm not that interested.
    But, you would be better off using a lower frequency if you could because for the same output power a low frequency signal goes a lot further, but the data rate drops.

Liked 2,275 in 1,283 posts

I don't know, I thought so as it seems weird to have multiple radios in one drone, I could look it up, but I'm not that interested.
    Are you making it up instead?

8. The following user liked this post made by Jasper:

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Are you making it up instead?
    No, merely repeating what I've been told, I don't like drones, but I seem to know quite a few people who do.
    Unfortunately I do have to know about wireless data comms for my job - I wish I didn't because they're so unreliable due to the pathetic outputs that ate legally allowed, if you compare them with mobile phones, output power of WiFi is laughable, if something is going to microwave your brain, it's your phone, not your WiFi.

I wonder if anyone has made a drone controlled and sending data back by 4G, apart from the average 60ms delay that all 4G networks have, it'd be really good.

Google and you shall find

https://botlink.com/4g-lte-cellular-...ne-control-xrd

That really is quite scary from a being spied-on or weapon delivery point of view.

Liked 1,223 in 578 posts

No, merely repeating what I've been told, I don't like drones, but I seem to know quite a few people who do.
    Unfortunately I do have to know about wireless data comms for my job - I wish I didn't because they're so unreliable due to the pathetic outputs that ate legally allowed, if you compare them with mobile phones, output power of WiFi is laughable, if something is going to microwave your brain, it's your phone, not your WiFi.

I wonder if anyone has made a drone controlled and sending data back by 4G, apart from the average 60ms delay that all 4G networks have, it'd be really good.
    Used to have a 1/2/3g mobile phone jammer. I got it from a friend in Israel. Actually I've still got it, but not much use these days. But when I was working in London it gave me a sense of deep joy to be able to shut up the shouty morons on trains and in pubs/cafes. It was basically about the size of a box of Swan Vestas, with three small stubby arials on the top, and an on/off button. Had a range of about 30 feet when in a bag or pocket.

12. The following 6 users liked this useful post by McSatan:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 90 in 42 posts

Effing Drones, and other rc objects that have cameras on them....They’re killing off a hobby that I’ve been involved in for over 45 years...lawmakers are getting serious with regard to legislation to absolutely regulation model flying out of existence. This being due to 2 reasons...
    1. Irresponsible drone fliers who will continue to ignore any regulations imposed upon law abiding modellers
    2. Monetizing the low level airspace for Amazon and other drone ‘delivery’ companies.
    Pissed off isn’t sufficient to describe how I feel about this

14. The following 4 users liked this useful post by GJH:

Liked 248 in 168 posts

something like this, but in reverse (bonus points if you chase the drone shooting fireworks out of your butt)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission