TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Road junctions quiz

Liked 5,162 in 3,451 posts

Default Re: Road junctions quiz

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    Rules are for the guidance of wise people...
    The problem being the Dunnung Kruger effect. Many fools believe themselves to be wise.

Liked 312 in 158 posts

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    Val if you want to make any point, maybe better to point out different EU countries priorities such as, the French Proirity a droit as many here don't understand it.
    Asking Val to explain something like that is rather like expecting Boris Johnson to tell the truth.....

At Work
    Liked 487 in 260 posts

Went through this one in Cambridge yesterday. Give way.JPG All four approaches marked with give way lines and signs. Bit confusing when there were three cars there at the same time. It seems all other approaches apart from the one we were on had "to the right" sub plates below the Give Way sign.
    Last edited by GuzziPaul; 25-07-19 at 10:48.

Liked 312 in 158 posts

Yes, a quick shufti at Street View shows that. Never seen it anywhere else.

Those 4 way junctions are common in the USA (at least the Rocky Mountains area where we've been a couple of times). Apparently the "rule" is first come first served (or the one with the biggest vehicle has priority). For some reason they don't seem to like roundabouts.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 482 in 352 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    Yes, a quick shufti at Street View shows that. Never seen it anywhere else.

Those 4 way junctions are common in the USA (at least the Rocky Mountains area where we've been a couple of times). Apparently the "rule" is first come first served (or the one with the biggest vehicle has priority). For some reason they don't seem to like roundabouts.
    Never seen that either, in the highway guidelines that road set up should not exist because the UK have roundabouts instead.

Driving on the wrong side of the road means roundabouts don't make any sense. Mind you in the US they don't like anything other than straight roads. With the occasional adjustment for the curve of the earth.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 482 in 352 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    You are right the UK has implemented Viena convention, it appears priority to the right is optional for left hand roads.

NZ also drives on left and have implemented priority to the right. There are thousands of unregulated junctions in the UK.
    What is your understanding of the convention?

At Work
    Liked 487 in 260 posts

Never seen that either, in the highway guidelines that road set up should not exist because the UK have roundabouts instead.

Driving on the wrong side of the road means roundabouts don't make any sense. Mind you in the US they don't like anything other than straight roads. With the occasional adjustment for the curve of the earth.
    Thing is the sub plates aren't in TSRGD and so are illegal/non permitted signs making the council (City council I suspect) liable.
    Last edited by GuzziPaul; 26-07-19 at 07:08.

Liked 5,162 in 3,451 posts

Driving on the wrong side of the road means roundabouts don't make any sense.
    Not sure if serious.

Driving on "the wrong side" of the road is just a mirror image. Roundabouts make just as much sense clockwise as anti-clockwise.

You weren't serious, were you?

9. The following user liked this post made by saga_lout:

Val

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 3,014 in 2,045 posts

The French drive on the right snd manage roundabouts ok.

And not all US roads are straight. Try the Million Dollar highway in the San Juan mountains.

11. The following user liked this post made by Cousin Jack:

Val

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,716 in 2,272 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post

And not all US roads are straight. Try the Million Dollar highway in the San Juan mountains.
    There are roundabouts in the US, the two I can remember using had tons of warning signs and the Yanks still didn't know what to do on them, one was in Syracuse, I can't remember where the other one was.

And there are loads of twisty roads in the USA

Should Get Out More
    Liked 482 in 352 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GuzziPaul View Post
    Thing is I'm a traffic engineer sub-contracted to Cambridgeshire CC (traffic signals though) the sub plates aren't in TSRGD and so are illegal/non permitted signs making the council (City council I suspect) liable.
    Years ago I worked with a traffic engineer on some roads as part of a development. Remember him telling me that in Britain, that four way give way intersections don't exist as we have traffic lights or roundabouts instead. As well as major and minor roads.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 482 in 352 posts
    Blog Entries

Am thinking of the strange Italian Roundabouts that the priority wasn't to the people on the round about, but those entering it. That seems to have stuck even though I regularly drive in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    Not sure if serious.

Driving on "the wrong side" of the road is just a mirror image. Roundabouts make just as much sense clockwise as anti-clockwise.

You weren't serious, were you?
    I was serious, and hope I've cleared up my confussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post

Edit - Didn't reply before as I forgot. You're right I forgot them..strange how memory works innit.
    Last edited by katana; 26-07-19 at 20:23.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,018 in 602 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    You are right the UK has implemented Viena convention, it appears priority to the right is optional for left hand roads.

NZ also drives on left and have implemented priority to the right. There are thousands of unregulated junctions in the UK.
    Actually - having just spent 5 weeks riding 3500 miles around North and South Islands whilst working for the NZ Transport Agency - they do NOT have priority to the right.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 482 in 352 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    Actually - having just spent 5 weeks riding 3500 miles around North and South Islands whilst working for the NZ Transport Agency - they do NOT have priority to the right.
    Thats all the tarmaced roads in NZ then

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,018 in 602 posts

Thats all the tarmaced roads in NZ then

A goodly chunk

The only major route I have not covered on S Island is the one down the NE coast - in 2018 it was shut because of an earthquake which had a long stretch fall into the sea, and though it was repaired for 2019, our leader took an inland route to Christchurch from Nelson.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission