TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Enforcing A1 Documentation in Europe

Should Get Out More the phantom pieman's Avatar
    Liked 1,230 in 797 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Enforcing A1 Documentation in Europe

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I have found out from work, as of the end of April, anyone "working across borders" in the EU has to have A1 documentation. This can be issued by your employer electronically but you have to document prior to travel where you are going, when you are going, what countries you will travel through etc up to two week before.
    If you do not have the correct documentation , hotels can refuse to let you stay in rooms etc. This happened to two of my colleagues last week in Austria.
    Not surprisingly , my employer is following the letter of the law... which means the amount of admin seems to be out of kilter with the concept of Free Movement.

Does anyone know about / have experience of the A1 process / registration? Is my employer over-reacting ...?

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,329 in 2,014 posts

Default Re: Enforcing A1 Documentation in Europe

Never heard of it, have you got a link as it might effect me.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,329 in 2,014 posts

Are you talking about this A1 form

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...s/index_en.htm

Doesn't appear to be necessary for anything, just a useful to take with you to prove where you pay Social Security payments to and what you're entitled to.

Liked 2,579 in 1,537 posts

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom pieman View Post
    I have found out from work, as of the end of April, anyone "working across borders" in the EU has to have A1 documentation. This can be issued by your employer electronically but you have to document prior to travel where you are going, when you are going, what countries you will travel through etc up to two week before.
    If you do not have the correct documentation , hotels can refuse to let you stay in rooms etc. This happened to two of my colleagues last week in Austria.
    Not surprisingly , my employer is following the letter of the law... which means the amount of admin seems to be out of kilter with the concept of Free Movement.

Does anyone know about / have experience of the A1 process / registration? Is my employer over-reacting ...?
    UK business travellers are asked by EU hotels for additional docs? How do they know (a) you're on business (b) specifically from the UK.?
    I can't recall the last time I was obliged to show my passport in a non UK EU hotel. Maybe I just don't act like a tourist any more ...

Liked 1,230 in 797 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post
    UK business travellers are asked by EU hotels for additional docs? How do they know (a) you're on business (b) specifically from the UK.?
    I can't recall the last time I was obliged to show my passport in a non UK EU hotel. Maybe I just don't act like a tourist any more ...
    They were Germans travelling in Austria ...
    TBh German hotels quite often ask for passports, Spanish ones always do, as do Italian ones ... the French don't normally bother

The reason for asking is that our VP of HR has been known to have very controlling tendancies .... or it may just be the treat of fines ...

https://www.lexology.com/library/det...b-d02a3ff2d412
    https://business.gov.nl/regulation/a...cate-coverage/
    https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/unemployment-and-benefits/country-coverage/index_en.htm

Liked 5,352 in 2,884 posts
    Blog Entries

I'm contracting for a German owned company and regularly travel to Germany, when this came out the company insisted on Germanss travelling to UK completed it, but didn't care about UK people coming over to Germany. As I'm not an employee I wasn't privvy to the mass emails sent out of HR but I think a fair amount of effort was put into getting compliant with it.
    I haven't been asked for any further information when booking into the hotel but I use the same one each time so they've got all they need presumably (ISTR I gave them passport details originally)

Liked 622 in 444 posts

It has technically been a requirement for many years just not really enforced

Really Bored
    Liked 1,471 in 834 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post
    or perhaps you DO act like a tourist, not a worker.

Statement of applicable legislation. Useful to prove that you pay social contributions in another EU country – if you are a posted worker or work in several countries at the same time.

Liked 2,579 in 1,537 posts

Quote Originally Posted by rudolph View Post
    or perhaps you DO act like a tourist, not a worker.
    Well these workers are normally groups of sad looking blokes in suits carrying armfuls of free conference tshirts they never intend to wear, so you may be right.

To be fair, I normally am a tourist, I detest business trips.

Liked 1,304 in 951 posts

What's wrong with just printing it out on A4?

11. The following user liked this post made by Greenman:

Liked 1,230 in 797 posts
    Blog Entries

Should find out more this week ...
    Will do an update ...

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Biarritz (summer)
    Liked 1,404 in 832 posts

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom pieman View Post

With current company, I am employed through a UK office (Dutch company) they organise everything, a new A1 turns up at the start of the season. Sometimes it's late. I have had the French inspectors visit before it had arrived "sorry sir, it's not here yet" seemed to satisfy them !

Previous companies, well they just didn't bother tbh, but as you know, laws are being tightened !

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission