TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike security

A Bit Bored
    Liked 96 in 35 posts

Default Bike security

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Hi guys and girls, good day to yíall. Having just purchased my first ever motorbike Iím conscious of safety. Having not a full licence just yet the bike is in a garage at the end of the garden. Naturally I would like to install some form of tracker, considering bike theft this day in age. Now the little knowledge Iíve learnt from research is Honda Fit one which has motion sensor and a call centre thatíll alert the coppers if itís wheeled off etc. From memory I recall the rep at Honda telling me for bike not purchased from them direct itís roughly £300+. The pros here are I do not have to be anxiously looking at an app on my phone for data etc. Also Iíve read a little on the Minomoto tracker, which seems to not have to be wired into the bike battery loom and has an independent battery, which obviously helps in cases where thieves think disconnecting battery will defer the tracker. Also price wise this one is £150, however it has no communication to a call centre whoíll alert the coppers like previous one above. (I may be I correct)

So in general Iím of the opinion generally trackers are preferred over alarms as thieves donít care for noise nowadays, so my mind feels more at ease with tracker technology.

Iíve looked into locks and chains like Almax and Pragmasis which the info I found suggested theyíre security is top notch. I noted any chain and lock should be applied above ground level in anticipation of any thieves using the floor as a pivoting point when a sledge hammer may be used.

I believe disk lock on both front and back tyre posterior s in such a way where the bike cannot be manoeuvred is a strong idea, I will most likely get ones with tamper deterrent alarm noises just as a first basic alert.

Lastly no doubt I will have a cover handy for days if/when I may commute or if I move from my rented accommodation and have no garage next time round, just to take the bike specifics out of chancers visions.

All feedback greatly appreciated and please note my concerns, thank you,

A.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 96 in 35 posts

Default Re: Bike security

Following on from above, please can anyone please specify the choice by brand when suggesting any ideas on the various equipment.

Also, regarding the chain, is it correct I could just go to a marina/boat shop and buy a anchor chain to use as my bike chain and pay 1/4 the price?

Thanks,

A.

Liked 3,332 in 2,199 posts

Written some time ago, but may be of interest:

http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com/p/...urity.html?m=0

4. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 25 in 15 posts

I've got a monimoto and it's a great little device, I recommend it! The best bit is it calls your phone if it detects movement of the bike so it's essentially a silent alarm as well as the tracker. That, an alarm disc lock and a chain/ground anchor should be enough! If they want it badly enough they'll find a way unfortunately but with the above you give yourself a good chance of getting it back/detering them.

6. The following user liked this post made by Rsw46:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 96 in 35 posts

+1 for monimoto.

A.

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 2,910 in 1,971 posts

Where do you live and ride?

What you suggest sounds ok for inner city use, but is waaay OTT for some places, and a great deal of bother and expense.

9. The following user liked this post made by Cousin Jack:

Quote Originally Posted by hotashes View Post
    Following on from above, please can anyone please specify the choice by brand when suggesting any ideas on the various equipment.

Also, regarding the chain, is it correct I could just go to a marina/boat shop and buy a anchor chain to use as my bike chain and pay 1/4 the price?

Thanks,

A.
    No idea. But have a look on YouTube for Captain Cropper videos.

11. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 96 in 35 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    Where do you live and ride?

What you suggest sounds ok for inner city use, but is waaay OTT for some places, and a great deal of bother and expense.
    Located on the boarders of East London and Essex.

A.

A.
    Chain a hungry Rottie to the bike. See which gets nicked first?

14. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

A.
    You need a big Almax or similar, and even that may not be enough.

16. The following user liked this post made by Cousin Jack:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 96 in 35 posts

Thatís why my thoughts are to also have a tracker fitted. Just wanted to know which would be best suited and value for money

A.

That’s why my thoughts are to also have a tracker fitted. Just wanted to know which would be best suited and value for money

A.
    Sorry I can't help, other than to say if professionals want you bike they will have it, regardless. I have no direct experience but IIRC alarms and trackers are VERY difficult to conceal on bikes, and if they spot it they can kill it. Also trackers may work, but only while the bike is in the open. Inside a van, or a container, they have a range as far as the van or container. Again, based on TV programmes, professionals know this and within hours it will be locked up tight inside a container, or dismantled for parts.

My advice would be to aim to deter the casual scrotes, if you make it professional-proof you will never ride it at all. All of this advice is from someone who lives in a fairly crime-free area, I do lock it up, but my chain is to deter, a serious thief would crop it in seconds.

19. The following user liked this post made by Cousin Jack:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 96 in 35 posts

Thank you very much for the input, hoping others will chime in and give their opinion as you mention areas are varied and surely there are some members who also live in amongst the life of crime lol

A.

Liked 5,454 in 2,933 posts
    Blog Entries

Have you organised Insurance yet? see what price affecting products the insurance company recommends. Insurance is your ultimate protection so its a good idea to ensure the policy doesn't have any over restrictive clauses about theft when you are out and about.

22. The following user liked this post made by GiantPygmy:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 96 in 35 posts

Quote Originally Posted by GiantPygmy View Post
    Have you organised Insurance yet? see what price affecting products the insurance company recommends. Insurance is your ultimate protection so its a good idea to ensure the policy doesn't have any over restrictive clauses about theft when you are out and about.
    I havenít insured it as of yet, itís in lock up at a relatives where they park their car in front of garage. Is it normal practice recommended to insure a bike if not on the road?

So far Iím looking into monimoto and biketrac for trackers. Any opinions on best value for money and recommended device to use is welcomed.

Thank you.

A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission