TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Can any Office IT types recommend a small business modem/router with VPN capability?

Liked 1,534 in 888 posts

Default Can any Office IT types recommend a small business modem/router with VPN capability?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    No, this isn't spam.

In the new job the office IT is .... 'confused', and despite not being any sort of sys-admin, I (apparantly) have more knowledge than anyone else here (which is such a scary thought I really do not want to delve into it any further) : suffice to say, I know THAT the IT systems are screwed up, but I'm totally in the dark about HOW to go about fixing them.

I DO know that the VPN setup is utterly confused so I'm looking to get it setup so that each dev-laptop can VPN into the office NETWORK and thus have the same IP etc as when it is in the office. (I'm pretty sure this is possible - it's how it was setup at a previous office I worked in (I believe)).

So - without wishing to abuse anyone's hard-learned knowledge - can anyone recommend a 'do it all' modem/router/firewall that is relatively easy to setup and install?

Beers for answers, obvs.

Liked 7,547 in 4,274 posts

Default Re: Can any Office IT types recommend a small business modem/router with VPN capabili

Sonicwalls are pretty simple.

I've just put a Barracuda F380 in, it was a fuck ton more complicated than my last Sonicwall.

There's a good chance that whatever is currently doing the job of your firewall will have the functionality?

If you have the ability to do NAT/Port forwarding on whatever you have now you could even use RAS built in to Windows Server.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,685 in 2,250 posts

Default Re: Can any Office IT types recommend a small business modem/router with VPN capabili

Buy a Checkpoint 730, it'll do what you want (and a hell of a lot more), isn't too expensive (about 500) and is piss easy to set up.

Liked 1,534 in 888 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Sonicwalls are pretty simple.

I've just put a Barracuda F380 in, it was a fuck ton more complicated than my last Sonicwall.
    No to Barracuda, yes to Sonicwall research - cheers.

There's a good chance that whatever is currently doing the job of your firewall will have the functionality?
    It's a Netgear - the firmware manager (according to netgear's online FAQs etc) should have a VPN server management page - but I'll be buggered with a brexiteer's sense of outrage before I can find it.

If you have the ability to do NAT/Port forwarding on whatever you have now you could even use RAS built in to Windows Server.
    In english?

Liked 1,534 in 888 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Buy a Checkpoint 730, it'll do what you want (and a hell of a lot more), isn't too expensive (about 500) and is piss easy to set up.

Is there anything in the sub-ton range?

(Budget is seriously tight - we're supposed to be a charidee mate! )

This thing?
    http://www.checkfirewalls.com/730.asp

I can't quite make out if it's got a built in modem or not?

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    Is there anything in the sub-ton range?

(Budget is seriously tight - we're supposed to be a charidee mate! )
    That's worth buying, probably not, but have a look at Draytek Vigors.

7. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Julian_Boolean:

We're currently upgrading our firewalls at work, cost 160K, I've got 8 days to do it in.

9. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Sub ton?

You are going to struggle to find anything that will do a proper job.

Do you have a Synology NAS already, they'll do VPN?

For FREE... if you have a static WAN IP you can do some port forwarding on your Netgear to point something like L2TP to an internal Windows server box and configure the Remote Access role.

Liked 1,534 in 888 posts

Sub ton?

You are going to struggle to find anything that will do a proper job.
    I'm beginning to understand that, my line-manager might take longer.

Do you have a Synology NAS already, they'll do VPN?
    Not in the office. (that I'm aware of).
    We do have a 'server' running a shedload of vms which are mostly apache2 webservers, each running the dev version of our websites/apis. Currently we connect to these vms on an individual basis via client-client VPN using keys (through, apparantly, a vpn service sitting on a Digital Ocean instance). It's messy.

For FREE... if you have a static WAN IP you can do some port forwarding on your Netgear to point something like L2TP to an internal Windows server box and configure the Remote Access role.
    Interesting - but I'd far prefer a simple 'pnp' solution as much as possible.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone!

What's your existing firewall - I'm feeling charitable and if I can find some documentation I'll see if I can work out what you want to do.

Liked 1,534 in 888 posts

What's your existing firewall - I'm feeling charitable and if I can find some documentation I'll see if I can work out what you want to do.

errr, yes. (or rather.... no. )

Weirdly enough - the current router/modem doesn't even appear to be able to see the internet... (either that or the firmware update link has got a screwy error message associated with not being able to find netgear's api)
    Last edited by RiceBurner; 15-07-19 at 15:43.

Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Liked 2,737 in 1,202 posts

That's worth buying, probably not, but have a look at Draytek Vigors.
    +1 for the Vigors being a good consumer/business crossover. However you're looking at more like 300 than 100.

15. The following user liked this post made by Derek Badger:

I always used Vigors as VPN end points connecting back to a proper UTM/Firewall.

I've never tried them as VPN servers, but yeah, the last 2830 (??) I bought was nearer 200 than 100.

17. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Liked 1,534 in 888 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Badger View Post
    +1 for the Vigors being a good consumer/business crossover. However you're looking at more like 300 than 100.
    I've been told today that this might actually be a possibilty (ie, it's possibly within budget).

Will take a closer look.

Ideally I'm looking for an 'all-in-one' box, as much as is possible: Firewall/modem/router/vpn/wifi/(DHCP?)

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    I've been told today that this might actually be a possibilty (ie, it's possibly within budget).

Will take a closer look.

Ideally I'm looking for an 'all-in-one' box, as much as is possible: Firewall/modem/router/vpn/wifi/(DHCP?)
    Draytek 3310 used to do this, but I'm probably 10 years out of date with Draytek stuff

20. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission