TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Liked 1,722 in 1,017 posts

Default Re: Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    Ever since selling the previous 690 i had some regrets. I bonded really well with that bike, we got along brilliantly and despite some quirks i felt it was absolutely spot on for me.

But then i jumped ship as the KTM 990 SuperdukeR which had been on my bucket list came up at a price and time that suited me. However that didn't quite work out and somehow i ended up with a 790.

Whenever i'd ridden the 790 i felt it was too close between the seat and pegs, certainly compared to the 690s that came before it. But i decided to go for it anyway and really enjoyed the bike, doing a trip round Wales with the boys and a recent trackday at Pembrey with the forum.

However, i never really bonded or gelled with the 790, i never really fell in love with it as a bike, sure it was good, effective, the electronics were great etc, but still it left me feeling a bit 'meh' at times and a sense of excitement never appeared for me. Admittedly the Quickshifter is excellent, so is the noise of the exhaust, but i dunno, i was never quite 'there'

The final stumbling block was the comfort side which seems to have been giving my knees a bit of trouble. Combined with a higher number of miles than usual i was feeling tweaks day to day. That was the final and sealing nail in the coffin for the 790.

So i spent yesterday disucssing with myself and I had 3 options.

1. KTM 690 SMC-R Brand new. 2019-05-03_09-30-45 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
    The plus sides being : Brand new bike. Quickshifter+ and all the gizmos. It looks absolutely brilliant.
    Downsides : It's 9000+ and the riding position i think would take a bit of getting used to, i didn't quite fall in love with it on the test rides.

2. KTM 690 DukeR.
    This was almost the game changer, with the Monoblock caliper, the higher level of suspension along with Akra exhaust etc. But the downside being things like the footpeg position being too cramped along with my knee issues maybe causing issue, when i had the R footrests on my old 690 i didn't get on with them. Plus, i really wanted 'new' as this is likely to be probably my final bike purchase.

3. New 2018 690 base model. s-l1600 (1) by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
    KTM are knocking these out for 2500 off RRP at 5799 with this particular dealer. Along with a very good trade in on the 790 i was sold. The brand new and 2 years warranty along with being the right ergonomics and i was sold. So the deal was struck and the new bike is arriving in a couple of days time. Well, early next week when i go to collect it that is. Just got to wait for it to go through the workshop.

I'm really looking forward to it, getting back on it and thrapping the 690 again. I always feel more at home on a bike i can feel like i'm making it work and try, rather than a bike i feel would be sitting under me and getting completely bored due to my ability. The 690 always suited my riding, my wants and my needs etc, so this can only be a good thing.

Bring on the orange !
    The SMC is my favourite looking bike but I don't have to ride it so completely get it from a comfort perspective

What's the spec, any electrics etc?

Liked 10,463 in 5,992 posts

Default Re: Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    The SMC is my favourite looking bike but I don't have to ride it so completely get it from a comfort perspective

What's the spec, any electrics etc?
    Spec of mine, it comes with traction, ABS, Anti-wheelie etc. Doesn't have a blipper or a Quickshifter though. Slipper clutch as standard. It's the twin spark engine with the balance shaft so about 74bhp or so.

Unless i spend 220 on the track pack i'm unable to do things like rain/road/sport and i can't switch the TC on/off....But from having had one previously i found i was at my limit without the TC anyway at Pembrey and the only 'nice' fuel mode was Street as the sport was a little jerky... So i'm not seeing much point in getting the track pack.

The R is a higher spec but was used, i decided to go new on a whim really.

the SMC-R i'll say is arguably the higher spec of the 3 in some ways, but it's also 9000 instead of 6000. The thing that killed it off for me was when i sat on the 690Duke i instantly felt right at home, but the SMC-R the longer forks made it all feel a bit strange. I expect if someone is into MX etc they'd LOVE it.

Was great seeing the bike last night as when the dealer collected my 790, he also had my 690 in the van with it Was covered in bubble wrap mostly though and on the way to be prepped.

3. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Weeksy:

Liked 1,862 in 1,220 posts

The SMC is lovely, but they have a much harder/narrower seat and even less wind protection. For pure short range stuff it'd be a hoot. But I'd imagine it'd start hurting much earlier than the Duke. For my use the Duke makes much more sense but the SMC is much nicer looking, although if I went that route I think the 701 is better looking still. No way is it worth an extra 3k though.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,689 in 2,252 posts

I think the 690 will be a better bike for most people than the SMC, supermotos are fantastic for 20 minute rides, after that they get a bit tedious, but if I was buying another supermoto I wouldn't buy something as big as a 690 SMC, I'd buy a 450, they're lighter and more fun, but the downside is that they're high maintenance, hand grenades.

Well the 690 has been collected and we're VERY happy in the house

Well, mostly only me, she doesn't much care.

Collected as promised by Premier Bikes and before i'd even left the shop or put the key in it i'd fitted the Evotech radiator guard. Got to get the priorities right. Bike taxed, insurance checked and away I go. Taking car to not labour the rpm and not get it over 6000rpm either. Slightly aware i've got brand new rubber on there, but they're the Metzeler M7RRs and i know them well and know they're excellent.

First thing i notice is the brake lever is too far out, so adjusted it from 2 > 4, I like my lever fairly squidgy, but that's better.

Gear lever/pedal is WAY high, but that's how they come on the 690s, always... It's why people get false neutrals if you ask me, the Demo bike i tested had been moved down at least 1 tooth on the splines, as soon as the engine cools down today i'll move my one as well. The levers (clutch and brake) are a smidgen high and the mirrors are a little too far forwards, so they'll be adjusted too.

The gearbox is smooth and i soon get used to using the clutch again both up and down the gearbox, no worries there at all. The handling is FAST, i mean proper fast, sharp and responsive, it just takes corners with ease.

Obviously i'm lacking in drive at the moment, partly as i'm waiting for the -1 sprocket to arrive at Premier Bikes and partly because i'm only using 2/3 of the rpm range, but there's plenty of speed at the moment and it's a lot of fun.

Get home, a couple of pics after fitting the Power Parts comfort seat, along with the R&G paddock stand bobbins. That's all it's getting at the moment. In the coming months it will get the Evotech tail tidy on there as well without doubt, but that's about it.

I've got the day off tomorrow and heading to the seaside with the orange 790 as my target for the day

2019-07-25_05-00-04 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

2019-07-25_05-00-40 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

2019-07-25_04-59-57 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

2019-07-25_04-59-46 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

s-l1600 (2) by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

7. The following 7 users liked this useful post by Weeksy:

Liked 6,171 in 3,878 posts
    Blog Entries

Can you tone down the orangeness a bit please?

It hurts my eyes.

Liked 33 in 28 posts

Love it👍

Liked 7,557 in 4,280 posts

Needs some white on it imho.... I've seen a few 1290 Superdukes with wheels painted half white, half orange?

11. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Liked 10,314 in 5,380 posts

I take it the ride out hasn't happened or is it okay weather where you are?

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    I take it the ride out hasn't happened or is it okay weather where you are?
    Well that's a bit of a point of contention LOL. I cancelled the ride with Pygmy and told the boss to cancel my leave and i'd work... then the weather that was due never actually appeared.

I did get out about 7.30am for 40 miles or so, wanted to get out and try out the gear lever position, which is now perfect and no more looping the foot up to get to the next change of gear
    The handling on the 690 is SO sharp, it makes the 790 feel like a long heavy barge (which of course is isn't.... not even a little bit) but coming to corners the 690 is in the corner before you even know it, it just turns amazingly. There's nothing i don't like about it... Although i'm not convinced the 'comfort' seat is any better than the stock item.... So that may go... but it IS pretty as far as seats go !

I'm hoping it stays dry for the duration and about 2pm i'll either get out on my own or hopefully with Pygmy later for a pint.

14. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Weeksy:

I get what you're saying about the 690. I always find KTMs to be spot on in the ergonomics dept. Loved my 950Sm from the moment I sat on it and felt the same when I got the 690 soem years later.

After the engine trouble was sorted I collected it and had pretty much decided I hated it by then. 3 minutes into riding it again and i was back in love with the thing. It just felt so right, the comfort, handling, power, only downside was the vision blurring vibes at certain revs, but I even forgave it that. I still miss it in many ways, although I wont be having another!!!

A few trips out today, one to look at a motor for DaveN then on to meet Pygmy for a quick pint.

Very much feeling the love for the 690 now, getting a bit more lean going on with the tyres and trying to be as smooth with the throttle as i can be, whether i can make it to 600 miles without thrashing it, i don't really know It's optimistic to think so though !

The Super duper Powerparts seat was a bit of a fail IMO, it had a bit of a nicer squidge to it possibly, but the stitching is quite pronounced and ends up being more of an irritation than it is a benefit. Luckily I bought it for a decent price, so it was advertised on Ebay and sold for 7 more than i paid, which will cover the Ebay selling fees anyway. So no major loss there and the stock seat is perfectly acceptable. The fork leg reflectors have been removed and the clutch lever moved down a tiny bit more.

So i was left with a minor dilemma now, 100 in the 690 fund and what to buy...

Obvious answer was, the Evotech tail tidy. But I'm still a tiny bit up in the air about that one currently, so i've not gone for that.

First thing i bought was the usual black backed 8x6 number plate... it needs one of them for sure.

The 2nd i bought was the old O2 controller from KevXTX in Oz.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-690-D...53.m1438.l2649

We've done this discussion to death before i know, but essentially for anyone not paying attention to that but reading this, it sorts out the fuelling in the closed loop at lower rpm. It doesn't need it massively if you ask me, but i'm OK with that, i'd just like to make this one as good as i possibly can

17. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Weeksy:

FWIW and imo the o2 controller is well worth having but the adjustable fuel mod isn't. It's only the closed loop that really needs sorting. The o2 controller isn't a bodge either. It isn't just a resistor, it changes the output signal from the o2 sensor to the ecu. The A/F ratio in the closed loop is 14.7:1 but with a O2 controller it changes the closed loop A/F ratio to 13.6:1. One thing though, I thought the o2 controller was suited to bikes with a freer flowing exhaust? I might be wrong but it wouldn't hurt to ask Kev?

19. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    FWIW and imo the o2 controller is well worth having but the adjustable fuel mod isn't. It's only the closed loop that really needs sorting. The o2 controller isn't a bodge either. It isn't just a resistor, it changes the output signal from the o2 sensor to the ecu. The A/F ratio in the closed loop is 14.7:1 but with a O2 controller it changes the closed loop A/F ratio to 13.6:1. One thing though, I thought the o2 controller was suited to bikes with a freer flowing exhaust? I might be wrong but it wouldn't hurt to ask Kev?
    Seems quite an effective mod even without exhaust stuff.

Obviously still waiting for the O2 controller as it's coming from Oz.

But i did get my black backed numberplate in the post today along with a phone call from Premier Bikes telling me the -1 front sprocket is in stock. If the rain ever stops i'll shoot up and collect it. I'm hoping that's tomorrow after lunch as a few mates are doing Silverstone tomorrow on their V4 Panigales so could have a trip out to see how they're doing, along with heading to collect the sprocket and put some miles on the 690.

22. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Weeksy:

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission