TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New build garage suggestions and experiences

Liked 269 in 154 posts

Default New build garage suggestions and experiences

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Evening All,

Moving house soon so saying good bye to my newly re-roofed garage and the new place may or may not have a garage. Itíll definitely have the space to build one. Anyone built a new garage recently? Looking to hear about your experiences and a rough idea of what it cost you. Iím guessing an old school wooden number is going to be the cheapest, but without spending a fortune or building it out of brick myself are there any other options?

Liked 7,814 in 4,441 posts

Default Re: New build garage suggestions and experiences

Concrete pre-fab, longer lasting than wood, cheaper than brick?

https://www.summergardenbuildings.co...IONAL-GARAGES/

Liked 269 in 154 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Concrete pre-fab, longer lasting than wood, cheaper than brick?
    Thereís stacks of panels available on fleabay and the other well known site. This was one of my first thoughts Bob, Iím guessing they just bolt together

Liked 7,814 in 4,441 posts

I've only every had to 'fix' an existing concrete one.

The posts cement in and the panels slide into grooves, just like fencing really.

The panels are flippin' heavy tho'

Liked 269 in 154 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    I've only every had to 'fix' an existing concrete one.

The posts cement in and the panels slide into grooves, just like fencing really.

The panels are flippin' heavy tho'
    Ooooft, they ainít half expensive new though! The metal oneís there are a bit more to my liking price wise, but I canít put any shelves up. Iím more gutted about losing my garage than moving from the house. I spent a fortune on it. Itís just the way I wanted it!

Liked 269 in 154 posts

Quote Originally Posted by rudolph View Post
    I built one from scratch, evenings and weekends. Proper bricky will cry no doubt at my block work.... but meh...

Attachment 42677

Attachment 42678

Attachment 42676
    No danger! That looks the business, I just donít know if itíll be a step too far for me, the most brick laying Iíve ever done is a couple of BBQís. How much do you reckon you spent? Plus the other factor I need to consider is the contents of my garage will need to be put into storage whilst the build goes on.

Liked 269 in 154 posts

Quote Originally Posted by rudolph View Post
    I hired a container and dumped that on my drive...put all my stuff in there.

All in... I recon it cost about £9k including digger hire, concrete for footings and base, ibeam for crane inside garage (handy when building a vintage tractor), roof trusses, tiles the lot.

Took about 1year to build.

Before that I had never laid a brick, set out stepped footings (Iím on a massive slope), poured footings, poured a floor slab, set out a roof, tiled a roof, or made big fuck off barn sized doors.

Canít isnít in my vocabulary though. From what I have see, most builders arenít very bright.
    The roofing part of the build Iíd tackle no bother, itís really just getting the foundation, slab and brickwork done right that worries me.

I doubt Iíd get a container in any of the properties Iím looking at. Iíve already got a half container in a storage yard that costs £90 a month, I think Iíd need a full one for all my stuff and theyíre about £160 a month.

Liked 777 in 366 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Craigyboy9 View Post
    Evening All,

Moving house soon so saying good bye to my newly re-roofed garage and the new place may or may not have a garage. Itíll definitely have the space to build one. Anyone built a new garage recently? Looking to hear about your experiences and a rough idea of what it cost you. Iím guessing an old school wooden number is going to be the cheapest, but without spending a fortune or building it out of brick myself are there any other options?
    See shed section Pudsey concrete are as cheap as chips

Liked 269 in 154 posts

Quote Originally Posted by rodbargee View Post
    See shed section Pudsey concrete are as cheap as chips
    Iíll check them out, cheers!

Liked 4,183 in 2,095 posts

I’ll check them out, cheers!
    I looked there before, i dont know if they travel to Scotland as they are a Yorkshire company

Liked 1,416 in 813 posts

Concrete slab & build it like a US home/garage with wooden studs, sheath it with OSB, Tyvec wrap, stucco the outside. Insulate with FG, & drywall the interior walls, cheap as chips. Plenty of info online.

At Work
    Liked 102 in 87 posts

If you have the time do it yourself. A guy I used to work with got the bricks that were left over from a construction project (the company even dropped them off for him as it was cheaper for them dispose of them that way) and the second hand double garage door was only a year old (belonged to a rich guy redeveloping a house he'd just bought). His nickname was Lucky as he was always in the right place at the right time!

Your container does sound expensive. Check for better deals or look around business auctions; some of the containers and modular units already have shelving, sockets and fittings in place.

Liked 777 in 366 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    I looked there before, i dont know if they travel to Scotland as they are a Yorkshire company
    I think they're happy to bung them on a lorry and deliver. not too hard to put up on a properly flat base...

Liked 5,235 in 3,507 posts

There's lots of companies making concrete garages, all claiming to be the best, there's probably not a lot to choose between them. I bought a concrete garage about four years ago from https://nucrete.co.uk/.

The new base cost me £1,250. The garage cost about £3,500 £3,334 (I just checked), delivered and erected. A few months later I noticed water coming through one of the concrete panels so I sent them an email and they sent a couple of blokes round to change the panel.

They all seem to have vary their prices depending where you are in the country, i.e. how far they have to travel to deliver it.

BTW It took two blokes a couple of hours to erect it, I reckon if you chose to do it yourself with a couple of mates who also didn't know what they were doing it would take an awful lot longer (days instead of hours).

Liked 1,363 in 960 posts

The roofing part of the build I’d tackle no bother, it’s really just getting the foundation, slab and brickwork done right that worries me.

I doubt I’d get a container in any of the properties I’m looking at. I’ve already got a half container in a storage yard that costs £90 a month, I think I’d need a full one for all my stuff and they’re about £160 a month.
    You'd need a slab whatever type of garage you put up, any wooden flooring will be temporary. The roof would put me off and push me towards a metal garage but if you're happy with that then the blockwork can't be that difficult.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission