TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The journey begins with a honda cbr600f

Hybrid View

A Bit Bored
    Liked 96 in 35 posts

Default The journey begins with a honda cbr600f

Well, I guess itís time to jump on the deep end and get in the mix. Those of you that have interacted on one of only the few threads I have began, and others Iíve participated I would just like to give appreciation and say thanks. To everyone Iíve not spoken to yet, hi.

Iím a total newb with motorcycles, not really a biker even at pedal level. Although Iíve rode the London2Brighton road bike journey for charity. I guess thatís enough to say the least I have an idea about balance lol.

Iíve already got myself a bike, cost £3,850 which is on a 12 plate with just 4,500 miles from new. It was my choice of bike as initially I liked the look and backlog of good comments etc around the 05/06 years on the cbr rrís. However learning that the f type is simply a hornet tourer just with fairings etc I settled at the thought itíll be a reasonable stepping stone to learn and keep for the foreseeable future. Iím genuinely happy with what Iíve got for now. Obviously Iíve no idea experience on other bikes so Iím sure the more seasoned rider will have a different opinion no doubt.

Anyhow, the bike is currently garaged and as I only passed CBT 2 weeks ago Iíve got my theory booked for the 23rd this month. Wish me luck, Iím a tad nervous regarding hazard perception however I did pass the car version back in 2004.

I have simply started this thread for my own log, and possibly to get to know the members etc. Please be patient with me as a new first time rider and feel free to advise or point in the right direction so I can sharpen my sword lol.

Any questions Iíve got will be asked down-thread no doubt. Iím the kind of guy who isnít ashamed to admit if Iíve made an error or need the help from Ďthe expertsí.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

A.

2. The following 9 users liked this useful post by hotashes:

Liked 9,825 in 5,125 posts

Default Re: The journey begins with a honda cbr600f

Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum. Some sage words for you.

Theory = talking the talk. Practical = Walking the walk.
    Ride like you're invisible, not invincible.
    Ride your own race. Never try to keep another's pace.

Motorcycling is brilliant. A very enjoyable form of transport and still one of the quickest ways to get round a city. But it is also a very dangerous from of transport, which is made that way by other road users, including other bikers, and of course, yourself! Seriously, keep your wits about you and anticipation is the key. Just because someone has seen you, it doesn't mean they won't pull out on you. Most of us that have had an RTA (crashed) can look back at it and recognise how it could have been avoided.

Get breakdown cover. I recommend Autoaid personal cover.

Have day off in good weather and take a ride to the coast and have some fish n chips (or whatever you like to eat), as there's something wonderful about having a rest whilst eating your lunch and staring at the bike that took you there...

4. The following 4 users liked this useful post by Taipan:

Liked 1,827 in 1,119 posts

As a point of reference. One of hte most important things you can do is get good biking gear that is a good fit. Yes, it is expensive, but it saves your skin/life. So good goretex gear is recommended, good boots and gloves and a helmet that fits comfortably, but is also snug.

Doing a Bike Safe shortly after your pass can help a bit, but actually riding and getting out on the road is the best way of getting experience. Keeping your own safely bubble when you ride is paramount. Ride at your pace, not other peoples pace. You will learn to extend your bubble and increase speeds, awareness as you get experience.

Be conscious that most road users won't see you. Your speed differential means that they dont' clock you until you are right there, you are a narrow obstacle with lots behind you to obscure your presence.

Enjoy riding, it is a fantastic way of getting about and having fun. Track days are for adrenline junkies, but also for learning what you and your bike can actually do.

6. The following user liked this post made by Makman:

Liked 7,258 in 4,093 posts

Wheelies are important, EVERYONE loves a good wheelie. Should be the first thing on your list after passing the test.

8. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Liked 5,961 in 3,749 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Wheelies are important, EVERYONE loves a good wheelie. Should be the first thing on your list after passing the test.
    Followed by knee down and rear wheel steering

Liked 7,258 in 4,093 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Followed by knee down and rear wheel steering
    Surely he'll have got his knee down on the CBT.

It's all part of the course isn't it?

Liked 10,343 in 5,914 posts

Crack on mate, we'll do our best with any answers, put any updates you like, we like an update thread or two.

Liked 1,796 in 1,175 posts

Good luck on your test and enjoy the bike. Keep posting about what you learn, share how you're getting on.

Not much I can add to the above so enjoy yourself and ride safe.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 96 in 35 posts

Default The journey begins with a honda cbr600f

Well considering weíve got momentum I guess I best say a tad more.

The previous owner of my bike literally done 400miles in 2 years, so given I took the bike I considered the gear he had which again is practically brand new, and as he insisted I try it on I was secretly hoping for it to fit ha ha.

So after some googling on J&S website

After looking at the price and browsing YouTube checking out the D30 armour technology I was convinced it was a steal at £400 all in. I was persuaded because I may eventually commute all year round when possible once Iíve more experienced so I can use the gear all year round as itís waterproof, Gore-Tex etc..

As for helmet/lid Iím keen to consider the GT-AIR SWAYER HELMET TC-5

As for boots, itís important that I get a waterproof set simply as Iím not made of money and could really do with getting the best I can afford for my requirements from the off. So Iíve only got these as a consideration so far, any other suggestions please advise.

Iím just on the look out for some gloves, so my soft hands are not cold ha ha. Only joking Iím not sure which is a good option as some have hard plastic protection over the knuckles and others have none.. suggestions please

The bike came with a chain encased in hard rubber, as a freebie beggars cannot be choosers. However I was scouring the net on reviews and realised Pragmasis or Almax 16mm and above are best, but not ideal to transport. So I took a gamble considering I will no doubt need a chain that is suitable for carriage and for the kryptonite fahgettaboutit chamfered chain with lock. After payment I stumbled across this;

https://youtu.be/VC3hFr8p2ck

I guess Iím back to the drawing board.......

A.
    Last edited by hotashes; 19-07-19 at 12:37.

14. The following 2 users liked this useful post by hotashes:

Liked 153 in 81 posts

I'm on my second GT-Air. Highly recommended - so long as it fits you correctly. This is the most important consideration when buying a helmet.

16. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Doc:

Liked 5,961 in 3,749 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I'm on my second GT-Air. Highly recommended - so long as it fits you correctly. This is the most important consideration when buying a helmet.
    Do the police still make you wear a dark visor?

Liked 3,832 in 1,936 posts

Quote Originally Posted by hotashes View Post
    Well considering we’ve got momentum I guess I best say a tad more.

The previous owner of my bike literally done 400miles in 2 years, so given I took the bike I considered the gear he had which again is practically brand new, and as he insisted I try it on I was secretly hoping for it to fit ha ha.

So after some googling on J&S website

After looking at the price and browsing YouTube checking out the D30 armour technology I was convinced it was a steal at £400 all in. I was persuaded because I may eventually commute all year round when possible once I’ve more experienced so I can use the gear all year round as it’s waterproof, Gore-Tex etc..

As for helmet/lid I’m keen to consider the GT-AIR SWAYER HELMET TC-5

As for boots, it’s important that I get a waterproof set simply as I’m not made of money and could really do with getting the best I can afford for my requirements from the off. So I’ve only got these as a consideration so far, any other suggestions please advise.

I’m just on the look out for some gloves, so my soft hands are not cold ha ha. Only joking I’m not sure which is a good option as some have hard plastic protection over the knuckles and others have none.. suggestions please

A.
    You have done well on the kit as Klim is good all weather kit and with suitable layers good for everything. Depends on which jacket as some come with a thermal liner, some dont. Shoei lid is a good choice as are the RST boots.

If you are loking at all year round commuting then some heated grips wont go amiss later in the year and as long as you dont mind the looks handlebar muffs are superb. I fitted them to both my GS1150 and Multistrada and wore summer gloves all winter without the heated grips on even with a temp reading of minus 2

19. The following user liked this post made by Bigyin:

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,761 in 1,686 posts

Lovely bike, enjoy it and remember there’s a lot more bikes to try after this one ����

21. The following 2 users liked this useful post by couchcommando:

Liked 3,832 in 1,936 posts

Quote Originally Posted by couchcommando View Post
    Lovely bike, enjoy it and remember there’s a lot more bikes to try after this one ����
    When he says a lot......... go look at his list on the memory test thread....... then remember he is a bit "special"

23. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Bigyin:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 96 in 35 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    You have done well on the kit as Klim is good all weather kit and with suitable layers good for everything. Depends on which jacket as some come with a thermal liner, some dont. Shoei lid is a good choice as are the RST boots.

If you are loking at all year round commuting then some heated grips wont go amiss later in the year and as long as you dont mind the looks handlebar muffs are superb. I fitted them to both my GS1150 and Multistrada and wore summer gloves all winter without the heated grips on even with a temp reading of minus 2
    Well spending £400 on something Iíve no idea about wasnít enjoyable. I took the gamble, and glad you agree I got a deal. Thanks.

As for the muffs, looked at them and will certainly keep them in mind for future references. Same as the heated grips, I gather theyíre not too hard to fit.

A.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission