TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mainstream electric motorbikes

Liked 6,180 in 3,882 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mainstream electric motorbikes

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post

I did consider a second hand Zero last year as I'm pretty excited about leccy bikes, but couldn't find out enough info on battery packs and someone beat me to the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Would need a special sound effect exhaust to make the potato potato noise

2. The following user liked this post made by Yorick:

Liked 10,336 in 5,388 posts

As my bikes are only for commuting, the silence of a leccy bike is off putting. Loud Pipes Save Lives!

Liked 1,865 in 1,222 posts

I suppose what I'm wondering is will we have a choice like we do today. I'm guessing someone like Honda might have a model line up of 50-100 bikes, maybe more. From scoots, to small commuter bikes, to nakeds, supernakeds, sports bikes, sports tourers, adv bikes, off road bikes all in different capacities etc. Come 2030 and 'if' the legislation happens we will have a much more limited range as I can't see replacements being available.

Plus presumably we'll see a reduction in the model development of existing bikes in the run up. Why keep developing a GS each year if you can't sell it anymore.

Dunno how widespread the ban will be and if it'll go ahead, but I think the UK's date has largely been dictated by Germany coming up with a date first. It's likely lots of others will follow suit.

Liked 1,537 in 890 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    I suppose what I'm wondering is will we have a choice like we do today. I'm guessing someone like Honda might have a model line up of 50-100 bikes, maybe more. From scoots, to small commuter bikes, to nakeds, supernakeds, sports bikes, sports tourers, adv bikes, off road bikes all in different capacities etc. Come 2030 and 'if' the legislation happens we will have a much more limited range as I can't see replacements being available.

Plus presumably we'll see a reduction in the model development of existing bikes in the run up. Why keep developing a GS each year if you can't sell it anymore.

Dunno how widespread the ban will be and if it'll go ahead, but I think the UK's date has largely been dictated by Germany coming up with a date first. It's likely lots of others will follow suit.

If anything it'll be easier to have a wide-range of different styles.
    Different engine characteristics can be programmed via software, different bike 'styles' are just different bolt on bodywork parts.
    BMW have been doing it for years.

6. The following user liked this post made by RiceBurner:

Liked 285 in 156 posts
    Blog Entries

Parts of both Madrid and Barcelona only allow electric vehicles in.

I have ridden a number of electric bikes (and own one, albeit a Lifan scooter), and it seems that those that dismiss them have never ridden one. I would suggest that you actually ride one to see what the advantages and disadvantages are
    Battery technology and weight reduction are both being addressed. When you consider Zero's first bike 10 years ago had a range of around 10 miles, which is now 200, and with all of the motor industry investing in EV's, things will improve, although not as fast as computer technology.

I had seriously considered buying a Zero, but it would not suit my all motorway commute. Range is extended when in stop start traffic through regeneration, but there is none when on a constant throttle. And until you try one, you wont appreciate 100% torque at all times. Acceleration is quite phenomenal.

But no, I will not be getting rid of my ICE bikes, and will own and run them for as long as my age allows.

8. The following 3 users liked this useful post by whysub:

Liked 1,865 in 1,222 posts

I'd like to try a leccy bike, and not knocking the technology as I'm interested in them as very potentially they are the future. I was just pondering the fact we are awfully close to deadlines with manufacturers not seeming to be doing much to meet the need.

10. The following user liked this post made by Supermofo:

Liked 285 in 156 posts
    Blog Entries

I would think that every manufacturer is developing EV's, whether using their own technology or implementing someone else's. None can ignore the impending legislation, otherwise they will be left with nothing to sell nor build.

I think it's been said before, but most likely Tesla will cease as a car company when other companies come in to the market, and rely on being the major battery builder and supplier.

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,454 in 891 posts

Quote Originally Posted by whysub View Post
    I think it's been said before, but most likely Tesla will cease as a car company when other companies come in to the market, and rely on being the major battery builder and supplier.
    I think China will decide that electric vehicle batteries are a strategic market and go after it like it did with solar panels.

13. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Kneerly Down:

Not Much To Do
    Liked 69 in 46 posts

Whysub is right, if you're a bike manufacturer and not looking to go electric then it's quite short-sighted.
    Triumph are looking to have a demonstrator next year
    https://www.williamsf1.com/advanced-...cle-capability

15. The following 3 users liked this useful post by tarmacsurfer:

At Work
    Liked 100 in 85 posts

Quote Originally Posted by McNab View Post
    Saw a couple of electric bikes at the bike show. Most looked like boring commuter bikes.

I was quite taken with this one though: Veitis

I guess you can style it how you like, have all sorts of fake cylinders and cars etc.
    I think the boring commuter way will lead they development if you consider that big players today started (i.e. small bore bikes/commuters). Should give them a chance to develop stuff where the expectations are not too high and it doesn't necessarily have to have a lot of style or aesthetic appeal.
    The current manufacturers might be waiting to pounce. Some of the new manufacturers won't be able to scale up or they blow their money on R&D and they get bought out cheap or there may be wonderkids out there that'll take a product so far then sell out to a big player and retire early or keep on taking a big fee as a consultant.

Really Bored
    Liked 395 in 262 posts

For me the key thing is to be able to keep riding, for as long as I'm able. if that means switching to an electric bike, I have no qualms about that, as long as cost/range become reasonable. In the meantime I'll continue to ride ICE bikes, if only for cost (but also to a degree, 'character') reasons.

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 2,988 in 2,024 posts

I am sure electric bikes are fun, and we will see lots more of them, but I cannot see them replacing ICE bikes soon. Today I have ridden about 180 miles, and parked the bike in a car park miles from anywhere. Tomorrow we have 300 miles to go, so for that I need a range of 500+ miles, or the ability to refuel in 10 minutes. One day, perhaps, but not nearly there yet.

Liked 6,180 in 3,882 posts
    Blog Entries

I want to ban fuel injection and leccy bikes, so we can go back to popping the exhaust on the overrun with the kill switch. Surely the noise will save lives ?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 995 in 587 posts

Zero S ZF14.4
    https://www.facebook.com/SurvivalSki...31248646907706

Zero SR/F
    https://www.facebook.com/SurvivalSki...31259610239943

I've tried to be objective about the bikes, and I agree they aren't for everyone. But with the quick charger long journeys are much more feasible than just a couple of years ago.

And they aren't totally silent either - they give out a rather amazing 'jet engine spooling up' sound as they accelerate. It's so distinctly different from an ICE, people do turn round and stare

21. The following 2 users liked this useful post by The Spin Doctor:

Liked 1,127 in 737 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    Most of todays bikes have lots of systems, fuel, brake ,electrics, etc. And which causes the most problems?

Electric, every time.
    Yep. Fuel injection, O2 sensors, cam sensors, crankshaft sensors, catalysts, fuel pumps, oil, air and fuel filters, oil, spark coils and plugs, the hundreds of moving parts in an IC engine... None of that stuff ever fails or needs changing as basic maintenance. Petrol engines are clearly the pinnacle of design.

If you could replace it all with a motor with one (?) moving part, why not?

23. The following 2 users liked this useful post by a_morti:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission