TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mainstream electric motorbikes

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,152 in 2,378 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mainstream electric motorbikes

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    Most of todays bikes have lots of systems, fuel, brake ,electrics, etc. And which causes the most problems?

Electric, every time.

IME it's corrosion that gives me the most problems.

2. The following user liked this post made by cheb:

Liked 1,788 in 1,170 posts

Quote Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
    If you could replace it all with a motor with one (?) moving part, why not?
    This is the other main reason I like the sound of electric motors. No oil, filters, valve checks etc.

Liked 2,169 in 994 posts

If you consider bikes simply as a mode of transport then I suspect electric would be a good choice. Personally I like the involvement required with my old bikes. Setting the tappets, tuning the carbs (gotta love Amals that change their state of tune according to the moon phase), even the ritual of tickling the carbs and kick starting (while praying to the god of internal combustion) are all part of the ownership experience for me

5. The following 2 users liked this useful post by nidge:

Liked 2,317 in 1,313 posts

Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    If you consider bikes simply as a mode of transport then I suspect electric would be a good choice. Personally I like the involvement required with my old bikes. Setting the tappets, tuning the carbs (gotta love Amals that change their state of tune according to the moon phase), even the ritual of tickling the carbs and kick starting (while praying to the god of internal combustion) are all part of the ownership experience for me

They have a detachment much like operating a P.C. a means to an end rather than any personal connection, they are the future of motorcycling.

Liked 1,461 in 847 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post

They have a detachment much like operating a P.C. a means to an end rather than any personal connection, they are the future of motorcycling.

Maybe so - however I'm looking forward to trying one and I don't think the curve-riding experience will be any worse (assuming they handle 'like a bike', which they should), which is a main part of riding for me. I'm not too fussed about the engine noise, maintenance stuff (not that I dislike it, but I'd rather be riding ).

I am hoping they start to come down in price soon though.

8. The following user liked this post made by RiceBurner:

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    Maybe so - however I'm looking forward to trying one and I don't think the curve-riding experience will be any worse (assuming they handle 'like a bike', which they should), which is a main part of riding for me. I'm not too fussed about the engine noise, maintenance stuff (not that I dislike it, but I'd rather be riding ).

Ultimately a less involving ride, I'm sure they'll handle predictably, once the novelty of riding an electric motorcycle has worn off though I'm sure many will discard them like a child at Xmas with a battery operated toy.

They are still the future of motorcycling though, there's very few of today's youth, compared with say 40yrs ago who can be arsed to mess about with bikes.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 896 in 521 posts

I just don't get that IF you enjoy RIDING.

If you enjoy spannering, then any modern bike is just as big a turn off, with its big plastic panels that say "here there be dragons" and a handbook which says "consult your dealer" for every routine procedure, and I get why an electric motorcycle wouldn't tick any boxes.

But if it's the riding experience that matters, whether it's the enjoyment of getting a bend 'just so' or being out on a deserted road and soaking up scenery, then I cannot see why the mode of powering the machine (range concerns aside) is so much of an issue.

(And virtually ALL my PCs have been tweaked to do better than they arrived from the factory )

11. The following 2 users liked this useful post by The Spin Doctor:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 896 in 521 posts

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post

I don't like the Zero Monster-esque over the front wheel riding position particularly, but they handle. I didn't get them to knee-down angles, but they are nimble and sharp-handling around bends and typical urban issues like mini-roundabouts and tight junctions. They're also lighter than many ICE bikes. The lack of mass helps with the speed of turn. Be fun to blag one for a track day (and get someone else to cover the insurance disclaimer).

I'd like a slightly more relaxed riding position and a fairing. If they brought out a Tracer 900-styled Zero, I'd have a hard time resisting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    But if it's the riding experience that matters, whether it's the enjoyment of getting a bend 'just so' or being out on a deserted road and soaking up scenery, then I cannot see why the mode of powering the machine (range concerns aside) is so much of an issue.
    Exactly, braking for the bend, down through the gearbox, listening to the engine and getting in the right gear to deliver the power on the exit, then up through the box listening to when the engine wants to change gear to keep it accelerating. If I want to look at scenery I pull over, it's safer.

14. The following user liked this post made by Jasper:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 896 in 521 posts

Exactly, braking for the bend, down through the gearbox, listening to the engine and getting in the right gear to deliver the power on the exit, then up through the box listening to when the engine wants to change gear to keep it accelerating. If I want to look at scenery I pull over, it's safer.
    Given a choice, I'd pick a vehicle with a gearbox over an auto for fun riding, it's true... but after getting used (again) to the lack of a clutch, it's no big deal and really, that wave of torque as you twist the throttle has it's own grin factor.

And there's that jet engine whistle to keep you company

Actually, there are electric bikes with gearboxes - they had to develop them for the TT. So it will be interesting to see how the two technologies combine.

16. The following user liked this post made by The Spin Doctor:

Liked 2,169 in 994 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    I just don't get that IF you enjoy RIDING.

If you enjoy spannering <snip>
    The two aren't mutually exclusive though are they? Given the choice I'll take an old IC engined bike which I enjoy riding and spannering. Of course that choice may be legislated away in the future, or it may simply be that I, and those like me, will be the equivalent of today's steam traction engine enthusiasts

18. The following user liked this post made by nidge:

Liked 9,810 in 5,117 posts

Mixed bag for me. I love the idea of electric bikes, but then I love twist n go scoots. Equally, I love riding a geared bike and especially one with a loud pipe on!

20. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Liked 1,461 in 847 posts

The two aren't mutually exclusive though are they? Given the choice I'll take an old IC engined bike which I enjoy riding and spannering. Of course that choice may be legislated away in the future, or it may simply be that I, and those like me, will be the equivalent of today's steam traction engine enthusiasts

I thought we already were....

22. The following 2 users liked this useful post by RiceBurner:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 896 in 521 posts

Aren't they?

If the bike's in bits, it's hard to ride

24. The following 2 users liked this useful post by The Spin Doctor:

Liked 7,243 in 4,085 posts

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission