TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mainstream electric motorbikes

Liked 1,861 in 1,219 posts

Default Mainstream electric motorbikes

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Was thinking about this at lunch time. We are just over 10 years away from the proposed ban of petrol powered cars/bikes. Do any of the mainstream players have an electric bike?

I can only think of 2.
    Harley Livewire (out soon)
    Vespa Leccy Scooter.

I think BMW have a couple of concepts and I know Honda have one and KTM have the Freeride etc. But any actual road going viable bikes?

10 years doesn't seem a long time to replace entire model line ups for the big players. Esp as most bikes seem to take years to get to market.

I was also thinking how much engine characteristics have a role in types of bikes. For example I love singles and others love V-twins or triples etc, can leccy bikes have a 'character' or are the all pretty much the same?

Engines also seem key to the identity of certain players ie Harley and big lazy grunt laden V-twins, Ducati and 'L' twins, Triumph and their retro twins etc. I wonder how much that will impact sales. Triumph for example seem to trade an awful lot on the look of their past bikes and a lot of that is based around the look of the engine, but from what I've seen leccy bikes appear to have a much more uniform look. In a car it's easy to style a car as you like as the motor is hidden but in a bike it's part of the design.

Plus what will happen to used prices? Lots of bikes these days are 15k a pop but presumably leccy bikes and impending legislation designed to move us away from petrol might knock the arse out of the used market. Would you buy new if in say 3 years time new petrol bike sales will end....or they might go up in value if leccy bikes are crap!

Gonna be interesting times for sure.

Liked 663 in 409 posts

Default Re: Mainstream electric motorbikes

Saw a couple of electric bikes at the bike show. Most looked like boring commuter bikes.

I was quite taken with this one though: Veitis

I guess you can style it how you like, have all sorts of fake cylinders and cars etc.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 9 in 8 posts

Iphones on wheels.
    They may bring you from A to B, but it is the end of the passion. Never heard anyone excited at firing up a smartphone.
    And if technology helps, you will be able to recharge in only 5 minutes in 2029, after having ridden without a gearbox and an engine sound. Wonderful world.
    I will keep buying and riding combustion engine bikes, which will, obviously, never be outlawed.
    And frankly, I think that this ban will end up in smoke. People are starting to react to the dictatorship of the Nazi Nannies, and "but, but.... SuperNaziNanny, in her infinite techno-wisdom, has decreed that it should be so!!" will not work out for very long.. .
    Give us our damn combustion engine bikes and cars, or get voted out of government.
    There, I've said it.
    You 're welcome.
    O

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 2,987 in 2,023 posts

Most of todays bikes have lots of systems, fuel, brake ,electrics, etc. And which causes the most problems?

Electric, every time.

5. The following user liked this post made by Cousin Jack:

Liked 1,534 in 888 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    Was thinking about this at lunch time. We are just over 10 years away from the proposed ban of petrol powered cars/bikes. Do any of the mainstream players have an electric bike?

I can only think of 2.
    Harley Livewire (out soon)
    Vespa Leccy Scooter.

I think BMW have a couple of concepts and I know Honda have one and KTM have the Freeride etc. But any actual road going viable bikes?

10 years doesn't seem a long time to replace entire model line ups for the big players. Esp as most bikes seem to take years to get to market.

I was also thinking how much engine characteristics have a role in types of bikes. For example I love singles and others love V-twins or triples etc, can leccy bikes have a 'character' or are the all pretty much the same?

Engines also seem key to the identity of certain players ie Harley and big lazy grunt laden V-twins, Ducati and 'L' twins, Triumph and their retro twins etc. I wonder how much that will impact sales. Triumph for example seem to trade an awful lot on the look of their past bikes and a lot of that is based around the look of the engine, but from what I've seen leccy bikes appear to have a much more uniform look. In a car it's easy to style a car as you like as the motor is hidden but in a bike it's part of the design.

Plus what will happen to used prices? Lots of bikes these days are 15k a pop but presumably leccy bikes and impending legislation designed to move us away from petrol might knock the arse out of the used market. Would you buy new if in say 3 years time new petrol bike sales will end....or they might go up in value if leccy bikes are crap!

Gonna be interesting times for sure.

BMW have/had an electric 'big-scooter' https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/mo...model-variants

Liked 1,534 in 888 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    Most of todays bikes have lots of systems, fuel, brake ,electrics, etc. And which causes the most problems?

Electric, every time.

I'd lay good odds that thats mostly down to poor implementation (eg cheap wiring in the looms, rushed software coding practices etc etc). In other words, its perfectly possible to make a nice reliable electrical system, it's just more expensive than the punters will pay for.

8. The following 3 users liked this useful post by RiceBurner:

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 2,987 in 2,023 posts

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    I'd lay good odds that thats mostly down to poor implementation (eg cheap wiring in the looms, rushed software coding practices etc etc). In other words, its perfectly possible to make a nice reliable electrical system, it's just more expensive than the punters will pay for.
    I agree. Will punters pay more for electric bikes? Or are we all going to have to suck up less reliable bikes?

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,855 in 3,038 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    I agree. Will punters pay more for electric bikes? Or are we all going to have to suck up less reliable bikes?
    Not me, I plan to hang on to my Harley for as long as possible, or buy new models up until they no longer market ICE bikes.
    The Livewire is a joke, 30,000 and it can't manage a triple digit range..

11. The following user liked this post made by mrlongbeard:

Liked 3,498 in 2,316 posts

If you CBA to search, Spin did a couple of reviews on his FB page. IIRC he was impressed.

13. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

Liked 5,611 in 3,002 posts
    Blog Entries

No problem at all with leccy bikes, once they get the weight down and the range up. Why wouldn't I want to use one for commuting / utlility stuff?

Would I want to get a leccy bike out for a Sunday morning blast? Probably not, unless I was maybe doing trials riding or similar. But like the OP says, its not as if my petrol powered bikes will be illegal.

I'll have some of each please

Edit - Mainstream is a difficult one, it will be Dyson, Zanussi and Samsung who take over from our usual mainstream. That said, in most parts of Asia, petrol will remain the default fuel for PTWs for a long, long time.

Really Bored
    Liked 824 in 602 posts

Naahh...it wont smell, be noisy or kill the planet. (thought it will....look at the impact of the fookin batteries!)

Liked 4,024 in 2,012 posts

This Place http://www.englishelectricmotorco.com/zero-motorcycles/ are having an open day at their shop in Diss in Norfolk tomorrow to showcase their range of Zero leccy bikes ....they seem to have quite a mix although not sure on range etc of each model

A quick look says their top of the range tourer at 17300 (including a government 1500 quid subsidy) has an absolute maximum of 179 miles so knock quite a few off that for real road riding and not "test" conditions .....and then you have to fully charge it again

Liked 6,165 in 3,874 posts
    Blog Entries

Maybe an electric Enduro bike would be good. But would need a special sound effect exhaust to make the ring a ding ding ding noise

Electric GSXR ? no way

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Liked 1,664 in 997 posts

Hell yes, massive torque instantly on tap and very little maintenance with virtually bugerall fuel costs.

Plus a good deal quieter..

I'd sure like a bash on a good one and can see em being highly entertaining.

19. The following 2 users liked this useful post by demographic:

Liked 10,298 in 5,370 posts

Quote Originally Posted by demographic View Post
    Hell yes, massive torque instantly on tap and very little maintenance with virtually bugerall fuel costs.

Plus a good deal quieter..

I'd sure like a bash on a good one and can see em being highly entertaining.

I did consider a second hand Zero last year as I'm pretty excited about leccy bikes, but couldn't find out enough info on battery packs and someone beat me to the bike.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission