TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Can You Take A Quality Picture from a video ?

Liked 6,678 in 4,156 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Can You Take A Quality Picture from a video ?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    At my birthday at the weekend, there was an amazing act. Fire & Fun

If you watch these 2 videos, you'll see what I mean. They overlap, but the last 50 seconds of the second one is stunning.

I want to grab a few pics and mount them on the wall. Mainly the Catherine wheel stunt and the big fire ending

And want to enlarge them and still keep the quality

Any help or ideas ?

Turn the sound up.

Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Liked 2,906 in 1,282 posts

Default Re: Can You Take A Quality Picture from a video ?

What format is the original footage and what as it taken on?

Liked 3,862 in 2,556 posts

Default Re: Can You Take A Quality Picture from a video ?

Have you been watching too many 'spy' & 'CSI' films?

Sadly, there is no magic 'enhance' button on software that can invent details that the original video didn't record. Nearest to that is a complicated method for 'merging' partial details from multiple frames.

What you get from a freeze-frame* is probably as good a source image as you'll ever get. Take a screenshot from the biggest monitor that you can. Then play about with that, possibly soften (to reduce obvious pixelation) or sharpen, perhaps adjust brightness and contrast too.

Some of the online printing companies have systems which will advise on potential enlargement depending on image quality. That said, if it's on the wall you won't be looking at it close-up, and if it's a dramatic image then that can 'overcome' poor quality.

Print the image on A4 (or part of, i.e. 1/4 image would be equivalent to A2) and see how it looks.

* Compressed video typically uses an 'i' frame which records all details, then a set (IIRC possibly up to a dozen) of subsequent frames will only have information on changes away from the i frame. The player software reconstructs each frame to display.

4. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Horse:

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission