TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Cycle helmet recommendations - full face?

Liked 3,174 in 1,594 posts

Default Cycle helmet recommendations - full face?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Since I still haven't found my cycle helmets (I have two, somewhere!!) I probably should look for one. I'll see if work have one I could borrow for a day, as when I get the bike back I am determined to ride it, if only briefly, to prove I can. Kinda like the get back on the horse when you fall off adage of my youth!!

But. What to get? We have a decathlon in the valley and various serous cycle shops in resort and in the valley

The ones I can't find are a tescos cheapie and a simliar style one from Specialized. Both the sort of style in this link -

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...t-purple-flame

Even when I was cycling to work I wasn't overly fond of the 'cap' style helmets as I didn't feel that good in them. In comparison to a motorbike helmet it was a cap of polystyrene that didn't cover the base of the skull and given that if a car did knock me I was likely to hit a pavement etc etc etc. I did wear one but didn't feel overly confident

Out here a lot of people seem to be wearing the full face ones. A bit like this link

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/bell-...medium-55-59cm

A bit of overkill for a bimble on the roads I guess but falling off without a helmet and the resulting problems (spinny head, lack of memory, lack of ability to process information, lack of ability to understand spoken work, loss of ability to touch type - the list goes on a bit but that was the most scary) and I'm looking to get something that really will protect me and instil some confidence (in it, not me!! LOL)! But ideally without costing me what the Shoei did!!!!

There is a good chance that next summer I will have a little bimble on the really easy/gentle runs on the mountain and the only cycling I plan to do on the road will be for fitness - from one part of the resort to another. Nothing serious and given I have gained something of a fear of cycling, I'm likely to stick to the static ones in the gym!!

I have zero knowledge about cycle helmets

Please could those of you more knowledgable point me in the direction of brands, styles. Tell me if I'm totally daft to look at full face/hate the cap style. I have always assumed that the fit is the most important, as with the motorbike helmets. But what else do I look for.

If I go into a shop in the valley to find something, I don't want to walk out of there with what they want to sell. I want to walk out with something that is right for me

Liked 10,222 in 5,862 posts

Default Re: Cycle helmet recommendations - full face?

Giro Hex, Merlin Cycles.

3. The following user liked this post made by Weeksy:

Should Get Out More the phantom pieman's Avatar
    Liked 1,238 in 802 posts
    Blog Entries

Another vote for Giro. A hex has saved my head twice , so I kind of like them... that said I have a giro montano now...
    Full face will be overkill ... unless you are doing AM or downhill.

5. The following 2 users liked this useful post by the phantom pieman:

I kinda know it's overkill but as I said I have a fair amount of fear now (something I haven't experienced in motorbike crashes!).

I've always been wary that the shape you both suggest doesn't cover the back of the skull? I know millions of people are just fine with them but if I'm honest I'm scared. I need to ride again to get past that.

I was never a serious or keen cyclist but did have plans for this summer and still want to try and achieve that even if it's next summer. I wont be doing anything mental off road on the mountain so even there the full one might seem like overkill. But I want to feel as if I've got the best chance to get me back on a bicycle. Or should I be giving up?

Should Get Out More the phantom pieman's Avatar
    Liked 1,238 in 802 posts
    Blog Entries

The montano does cover the back of you skull... if you are riding badly enough on the road to need a full face, then giving up might be an idea :-)
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...kaAtDjEALw_wcB

Liked 10,222 in 5,862 posts

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom pieman View Post
    The montano does cover the back of you skull... if you are riding badly enough on the road to need a full face, then giving up might be an idea :-)
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...kaAtDjEALw_wcB
    So does the Hex,

That's why we both recommended them

Fair point. It looks short in the photo and I am still struggling a bit with the laptop!! I'll go find a shop and see if they have one Thank you

And, TBF, I'm not convinced I was riding badly. I was 'coasting' down a road for the 3rd morning in a row. All I can remember is teh fornt wheel and bars doing what would be the start of a tankslapper on a motorbike. I know what time it happened by process of elimination. I got up at 5am but can't remember any of that, left home approx 5.45am and crashed about 2 mins from home. Next thing I remember is hospital sometime in the afternoon.

I've ridden a lot over the years, even commuted a bit in Bristol; not so much in recent years but I still could ride - so I thought!! If I knew what happened I might not be so worried about getting back on/helmets/etc, but having no idea why is a bit disturbing. And no one can help because there was no one else around - someone found me on the road around 6am ish, I think.

Liked 5,834 in 3,664 posts
    Blog Entries

Skateboard helmets might be what you are looking for...

https://www.google.com/search?q=skat...w=1366&bih=625

Liked 5,834 in 3,664 posts
    Blog Entries

Or a skiing helmet, which you may already have

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.ap0YyH_4UWc

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Or a skiing helmet, which you may already have

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.ap0YyH_4UWc

Probably should have worn one of the ones I have to hand!!! But I think they would be incredibly hot! If I can't find my cycle ones or haven't bought a replacement before I get the bike back, then I'll try one when I do the 'got to prove I'm not really scared' ride!! LOL

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission