TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Yamaha MT-10

Liked 9,810 in 5,117 posts

Default Yamaha MT-10

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Hardly seen any bikes here in Mallorca but yesterday saw this guy pullling absolutely effortless power wheelies on a. Ike with bright green wheels and funny headlights. He then just powered it off down the dual carriageway with a super quick gear change (spoedsjifyer thing?) and man did that thing disappear into the distance quickly. Later that day I saw him parking it after another impressive power wheelie. Bike turned out to be a MT-10, theyíre a bit good arenít they!!! Lovely growl from the akra on it too! If I had the skills to handle a bike like that Iíd have one in a heartbeat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Liked 10,324 in 5,907 posts

Default Re: Yamaha MT-10

One of, if not the best road bikes I've ever ridden. If I wanted monster power in an amazing chassis, this would top my list.

Arguably the only bike I can think of that would make me buy something other than a KTM

4. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Weeksy:

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    One of, if not the best road bikes I've ever ridden. If I wanted monster power in an amazing chassis, this would top my list.

Arguably the only bike I can think of that would make me buy something other than a KTM
    Thatís a hefty endorsement! I rarely even look at bikes like this, but when you see someone ride one like it was a toy you canít help but get interested. Besides a pro stunt bike I donít think Iíve seen a bike lift itsfront wheel so effortlessly!!

I should hate the colour scheme too as debadged and all in black is my normal preference, but I even thought the garishness suited it!

Should Get Out More the phantom pieman's Avatar
    Liked 1,240 in 804 posts
    Blog Entries

What put me off one... other than being a IL4 was the small tank and it’s ability to consume fuel quickly

Liked 1,535 in 673 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post

Agree and (as I know you and a few others on here know) I had two of them- one of the very first Flouro (grey/yellow) ones, and then an SP

Did 8k miles on the first, and 7k on the SP, long trips and trackdays on both, and its the MT10 still THE bike I would have if I was only ever allowed to have one at a time- brilliant overall package,( especially the SP, the suspension on it really is a significant step up on the regular version) , but its mainly the engine that makes it- best road bike engine.
    EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom pieman View Post
    What put me off one... other than being a IL4 was the small tank and it’s ability to consume fuel quickly
    Did you ever ride one?- Of course we're all different, and maybe you did, but from that comment I'm suprised if you did as although the cylinders are all in line, the MT10 ( and all the Yam CP4 engines ) ride absolutely nothing like any other IL4- its a V4 in character and sound.

As for the fuel, well, depends on your priorities I guess but it really isn't that bad IMO- I did 3k mile Euro and 2k Scotland trips on both of mine and averaged low-mid 40s, riding like a complete wanker most of the time, as thats what that engine makes you (or me, anyway ) do- best wheelie bike ever.
    Brimming the tank is a complete arse ache and takes 5 mins or more to get the last 1-2 litres in, but they do 130-150 miles to a tank, which is enough for me TBH - I usually need a coffee by then

8. The following 2 users liked this useful post by TrickyDicky:

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,487 in 2,114 posts

I'd buy one if I could live with the looks.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

10. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 7,243 in 4,085 posts

If I had an MT-10.... I'd trade it in for a V4 Tuono

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,487 in 2,114 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    If I had an MT-10.... I'd trade it in for a V4 Tuono
    Nah, they're slow, I was faster than one at Cadwell on my FZR400

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

13. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 7,243 in 4,085 posts

The CP4 makes a much nicer noise than a traditional IL4, almost v-twinish... but a 'prilla V4 on an open pipe is something to be heard.

Liked 10,324 in 5,907 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    The CP4 makes a much nicer noise than a traditional IL4, almost v-twinish... but a 'prilla V4 on an open pipe is something to be heard.
    Fucking cramped though.

I thought the MTs were triples so when he powered it past me I couldnít work it out, as it didnít sound like one, or an IL4, now I know why!

Really Bored
    Liked 793 in 507 posts

T'Ray of Darkness.

Get one bought.

Quote Originally Posted by MsignorMartinez View Post
    T'Ray of Darkness.

Get one bought.
    Lol, donít have the skills to ride that with any sort of vigour, but Iíd not be able to resist trying and thatís where it gets dangerous! My F8R is more than powerful enough for me!

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,756 in 1,683 posts

Everything about the MT10 should make it my ideal bike but...the engine I just donít get on with it. Same in the R1 as well which Iíve ridden a fair bit. For me you canít tell what revs itís at as it makes the same noise and feels the same at various revs. I ride trickys SP at Pembrey and had loads of little slides, I assumed I was t low revs exiting the corners but a chat with tricky and we agreed I probably wasnít due to how the engine feels.
    Itís a shame as I still think itís my ideal bike lol

As for wheelies my 1090 adv is just as lively as it has a great midrange, pulls up in 2nd with no clutch and in 3rd with a touch of clutch. Does move around a bit on its shock though but very easy to pick up at low revs and low speed if needed

Liked 60 in 28 posts

I bought one this year just for the summer, and its been a total hoot.

On track, due to the relatively low gearing, its an absolute weapon out of slow and mid range corners. Quicker than most sports bikes until aerodynamics and higher gearing start to kick in.

When I got it it had a de-cat and Akra can and did indeed sound and feel amazing. For the first couple of weeks it was just that hooligan tool I wanted.

However, since then I have put the original can back on, and fettled with the suspension to make it a more usable road bike, and its only impressed me more. Ride it like a regular bike and its so good. The engine is utterly lovely and its stubby little nature wholly beguiling. Its one of those "think it and you've already done it" type bikes. It's got so much thrust it will go immediately wherever you point it, and its plenty stable and comfortable too.

I suppose the suspension could be better (or I could be better at setting it up), but I guess that is what the SP is for.

Looks wise it does give me the thrill of ownership thing when I look at it from certain angle, but to be honest, despite the weird front, when I see another one on the road they are remarkable anonymous. From behind they could be almost anything.

The little blighter has kind of ruined my relationship with my mainstay GS. I now find that FAR too slow.

Going to chop them both in for a V4 Multi

21. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Rev Fred:

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission