TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTB under a grand?

Liked 95 in 78 posts

Default MTB under a grand?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Looking at picking up a MTB for general trails etc - heard good things about the Calibre Bossnut Evo, anyone care to comment or throw second hand suggestions at me.

Ta.

Liked 10,343 in 5,914 posts

Default Re: MTB under a grand?

The bossnut is well, ok. It's quite a Kia or an ER6 if that makes sense. It's got a few semi decent bits in but some cheap stuff too, overall it rides ok enough but suffers in longevity of the cheaper bits etc. I liked the one I rode that's for sure.

Me, I'd go used and something like a Whyte t130, a giant anthem or similar etc.

What is it you want the bike for?

Liked 95 in 78 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    The bossnut is well, ok. It's quite a Kia or an ER6 if that makes sense. It's got a few semi decent bits in but some cheap stuff too, overall it rides ok enough but suffers in longevity of the cheaper bits etc. I liked the one I rode that's for sure.

Me, I'd go used and something like a Whyte t130, a giant anthem or similar etc.

What is it you want the bike for?
    Happy to go for a better spec 2nd hand bike. Not going to get really hard use, just local trails etc with the missus and kids.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Whyte-T13...0AAOSwljJdUmZ1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-Ant...cAAOSwmgVdVU1H

But my 16 t130 like that needed brake bleed, bearings and a bottom bracket, which I can happily do all of that, along with it being me being very very fussy with my bikes, I use them lots and use them fairly hard so want them absolutely 100%

So both of them were just quick links from first 10s on eBay etc but both models etc I'd buy, theres something from any of the big players like a Trek fuel ex8 etc, Cannondale Jekyll and 50 other bikes in between.

https://singletrackworld.com/classif...with-upgrades/

That for example is 10x the bike the Bossnut is, but could be overkill for your needs.

But anyway, buy that its a steal

Liked 95 in 78 posts

I don't mind something that needs a little tinkering however buying second hand unseen can be a big gamble I guess, but guess worth the risk for a higher spec bike.
    I like the look of the Giant - my road bike is a Giant and very happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by V8-Powered View Post
    I don't mind something that needs a little tinkering however buying second hand unseen can be a big gamble I guess, but guess worth the risk for a higher spec bike.
    I like the look of the Giant - my road bike is a Giant and very happy with that.
    Anthems are great, they're light and well built, decent components usually, often under rated by brand snobs. Can't go far wrong with one.

Part of the reason I like Whyte is the standard threaded bottom bracket instead of press fit. I've never had press fit ones that are as reliable as the threaded.

Liked 1,103 in 718 posts

Ideally you'd want one with minimum use. If you're unlucky it could be worn in all sorts of expensive ways... Chain, sprockets, derailleur, bottom bracket, pedal bearings, linkage bearings, etc... all wears out or gets broken eventually.

Liked 95 in 78 posts

Quote Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
    Ideally you'd want one with minimum use. If you're unlucky it could be worn in all sorts of expensive ways... Chain, sprockets, derailleur, bottom bracket, pedal bearings, linkage bearings, etc... all wears out or gets broken eventually.
    Agree, that does worry me about buying used and unseen from somewhere like Ebay. If I can get hands-on, I'd be happy

Liked 1,557 in 808 posts

Looking at picking up a MTB for general trails etc
    What are the general trails like and what is the etc? Where I live a rigid bike is fine for everything.

Should Get Out More the phantom pieman's Avatar
    Liked 1,241 in 805 posts
    Blog Entries

OP ... where to you going to ride? What sort of riding do you intend to do?
    Full suss definitely has its merits ... but if it is merely going along the local canal bank it is over kill.
    are you looking at short, medium, of long travel?

2nd hand bikes are a good start ... but you have to know what to are looking at. A lot will moved on when essential bits are worn out ...or they are obsolete. MTBs have changed a lot in the last 8 or so years, from 26 inch wheels to 27.5 to 29, slacker front ends, lower bb, longer reach ....
    so a 26 incher can be picked up cheaply ... but is likely to be quite old.
    iIt is going to come down to what you want it for ...

Liked 95 in 78 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pirahna View Post
    What are the general trails like and what is the etc? Where I live a rigid bike is fine for everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by the phantom pieman View Post
    OP ... where to you going to ride? What sort of riding do you intend to do?
    Full suss definitely has its merits ... but if it is merely going along the local canal bank it is over kill.
    are you looking at short, medium, of long travel?

2nd hand bikes are a good start ... but you have to know what to are looking at. A lot will moved on when essential bits are worn out ...or they are obsolete. MTBs have changed a lot in the last 8 or so years, from 26 inch wheels to 27.5 to 29, slacker front ends, lower bb, longer reach ....
    so a 26 incher can be picked up cheaply ... but is likely to be quite old.
    iIt is going to come down to what you want it for ...
    Nothing too arduous - wooded trails etc.
    Not hung up on full suspension or hard-tail, not even considered amount of front end travel if I'm honest. Just rather buy something half decent than an Apollo from Halfords!

Not hung up on full suspension or hard-tail, not even considered amount of front end travel if I'm honest. Just rather buy something half decent than an Apollo from Halfords!
    At a grand, all you'll gain by going to a HT is weight and speed. Which lets be honest, are either that important? You'll get a great FS but yes, if you're 100% flat out may be 2-3% slower than the light fast HT. So what's more important I guess, comfort or speed.

Liked 1,241 in 805 posts
    Blog Entries

With that in mind ... another couple of questions.
    Do you know enough about MTB, to know a good buy from a bad one? If you, or any friends do, then by all means go s/h.
    HT will probably suffice TBH, and will require a lot less maintenance that FS ( there is way more to go wrong ... and worth it if you are hammering Peaslake every w/k or bike parks but maybe over kill for local trails. where do you live?
    If you are looking at a HT, then 1k will get you something reasonable new ... (weeksy will be along in a minute). From a FS POV, despiye weeky's comments , considering what you want to do, then a Bossnut would be good... For HT i would look at what your local bike shop can sell you / support you

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/conte...ike-guide.aspx

Liked 95 in 78 posts

I'm an Engineer so pretty good with nuts and bolts etc, and I do appreciate the intricacies of good suspension set up but am far from a MTB expert.
    I do like the idea of FS to save my old bones but am tough enough to take a HT if needs be.

Liked 1,241 in 805 posts
    Blog Entries

I'm an Engineer so pretty good with nuts and bolts etc, and I do appreciate the intricacies of good suspension set up but am far from a MTB expert.
    I do like the idea of FS to save my old bones but am tough enough to take a HT if needs be.
    Okay - at 57 I converted to FS ... I was a "why do I need FS on the South Downs" I am not convinced that FS makes me any quicker - but it is certainly more controlled and comfortable.
    I rode , my HT for the first time in ages, a few weeks ago. My back certainly notices the difference.

1k will buy you a good HT, or the Bossnut ... which everyone raves about. They certainly now look less industrial than they used to. Never ridden one ...
    The other option on cost effect is boardman ex Halfords.
    Or secondhand .... STW ( as Weeksy points out) is a good place to start.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission