TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: dead AMD PC it's not the PSU. Methododly on determining what it is, plus options pls?

Liked 1,491 in 1,046 posts
    Blog Entries

Question dead AMD PC it's not the PSU. Methododly on determining what it is, plus options pls?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Ok, it's an FM2+ mobo with an AMD A8-6600K & 16GB DDR3. Wun 10 Pro-no don't have key as digitally linked to my MS account.

This one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GA.../dp/B00M7UNVN4

It's not the PSU as I have a new one & that is confirmed good on another tower.

The fans spin, but nothing else. No POST beeps, no LED showing disk actvity & def no signal out to monitor. Keyboard light are out. It will turn on with front button, but it will not turn off even with push & hold. It's about as a dead computer as I've ever seen.

What's my sequence for trying to nail down exactly what has failed please? Also to test the RAM & cpu aren't fried too, because then that is start all over again time.

But...that's 50 of mobo. IF it is the mobo, better bet maybe?

IF it's mobo plus the CPU, but not the RAM, best bet for DDR3 board? I don't need to stick with AMD, but we are talking bang for buck here

If the lot is toast, I assume I'm better off going Ryzen DDR4?

Finally & this is really important, what about my Windows if the mobo is toast pls? Isn't the autentication bured in UEFI or something, although I'm sure the badger has told me off in the past for believing this

Fortunately the auld backup tower was in the right configuration, so we're not out of the game & time isn't the issue-cost is.

Oh one minute is was fine, next had turned itself off. It's only now I've seen the main plug is stuck into the boggo ordinary block, not the surge protected one... Fuck knows how that happened, but here we are.

TIA

EDIT drives appear to be fine looking at them via an USB caddy
    Last edited by Editor; 18-08-19 at 12:09.

Liked 1,827 in 1,119 posts

Default Re: dead AMD PC it's not the PSU. Methododly on determining what it is, plus options

BIOS could well be borked. It does happen unfortunately.

Really Bored
    Liked 642 in 453 posts

Default Re: dead AMD PC it's not the PSU. Methododly on determining what it is, plus options

Looks like you'll have to find another machine to test the memory in. Can't think of any other way to do it.

At least you're not constrained on the motherboard to test the memory as you'll, obviously, need an AMD motherboard to test the Cpu.

You've probably come to the same conclusions yourself by now.

4. The following user liked this post made by Lutin:

Liked 7,243 in 4,085 posts

In my professional career I've only ever come across two totally dead CPU's. Both AMD's. IMHO it is more likely to be the mobo.

System should do beep diagnostics if it was the memory.

Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Liked 2,618 in 1,150 posts

No POST beeps with a known good PSU = Dead MoBo.

7. The following user liked this post made by Derek Badger:

At Work
    Liked 447 in 270 posts

unplug all drives from the mobo and psu so you just have psu plugged in to mobo with cpu and ram with on off switch and see if it boots
    if it does plug things in untill it doesnt

9. The following user liked this post made by Eclipse:

Liked 1,343 in 978 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Badger View Post
    No POST beeps with a known good PSU = Dead MoBo.
    What he said.

To test remove the ram and boot and see if you get any POST beeps at startup, if you don't new mobo time.

Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Liked 2,618 in 1,150 posts

Did you ever get anywhere with this Ed?

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission