TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: gpz clutch issues

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default gpz clutch issues

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    hi everyone,im having a major breakdown with my kawasaki gpz1100 unitrak,after determine the length of the clutch push rod (310mm)..im now having a massive problem setting up the cable/release,everythings new,im using a release from the 1000j model because you cannot get the original at all!!!!..everything else you can still buy from kawasaki..so..im setting up the release..all seems to be ok..making sure it engages the pushrod...slide cover home and install bolts to hold..adjust counterclockwise the adjuster and fit locknut..go to middle adjuster..turn out adj to see clutch lever start to turn out,then finish off at the lever adjuster tighten nut and bugga all clutch..nothing?...what am i doing wrong..before i book bike into a stealer can anyone help?

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,508 in 2,128 posts

Default Re: gpz clutch issues

The 1000J and Unitrak have the same clutch release mechanism, it's equally crap on both, try Cradley Heath for parts.
    From memory you have to adjust the cable first, then adjust at the bottom adjuster to get it working, and the bottom adjuster works the opposite to how I thought it should. Both the Clymer and the Kawasaki manuals are a bit cryptic when it comes to adjusting the clutch, but once you've worked it out they do make sense.

The clutch release mechanism is a bit of Kawasaki weirdness, like the neutral select thing.

A better place to ask is here http://z1ownersclub.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php as the Uni engine is an enlarged Z1 engine and loads of people on their have Unitrak engines (in various frames)

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

hi julian,think i will try that way..cables 1st,hmmm..could work..also ya right,what a shite idea by kawasaki,whoever thought this up needs shooting,way to stupid and complicated..ps..i have bought all my parts from cradley,but the release and rod are a big no no..been searching for months to no avail..thanks..hows the flooring coming on lol..

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,508 in 2,128 posts

Floors done and looks lovely.

Which bit of the release mechanism are you missing, I bought the thing with 3 bearings in new from either Cradley Heath or CMSNL, but postage from CMSNL postage is expensive. It's a crap design which is why mine will be hydraulic soon, but if you want to keep the bike original, you've got to use the horrible ball ramps from the 1960s.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission