TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW 3 series info wanted?

Liked 10,540 in 5,511 posts

Question BMW 3 series info wanted?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Hi All

Thinking I might sell my Merc SLK and get a 4 seater. Quite fancy a e93, but I know Jack about BMWs, but think we have a few people on here that are quite knowledgeable about them? In the back of my mind is stories of timing chain issues on some BMW engines and injector problems? Are there any engines in the 3 series I should be wary of or at least check they've had things fixed on them or just avoided at all costs etc? I'd not be looking at V8s, more likely a smaller engined version and c2007-10?

Many thanks.

Liked 1,501 in 1,049 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: BMW 3 series info wanted?

I'd drive one, any one 1st. They're a bit smaller than you might think.

IMO 3 series should be straight sixes-leave the V8s for 5 & upwards. Absolutely forget a 4in line.

Beware the fabled M3s. That is the number one vehicle aspired to by young Asian boys & many have been got at. Parts are pricey. No idea about the insurance-prob the most desirable M series for thieves.

Have a looksee at 5 series. Bigger, usually owned by a more mature lot, etc.

Actually I've not been in a bimmer for decades. If the roads around you are as rough as they are around here, I'd very def test drive a couple. German suspension is quite often quite firm as standard, sports models obv eben more so, but they're prob all adjustable by now.

You could get quite of lot of Mondeo ST too:
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/u...d-mondeo-st220

Resale prob pants though.

3. The following user liked this post made by Editor:

Liked 1,603 in 709 posts

Good cars IMO.

Stick to N53 engined petrol (325i or 330i - both 3l straight six ) and no timing chain, turbo (335i) or other engine issues really.
    Only common issue I know of with them is the high Pressure fuel pump on some of them when they start getting decent mileages racked up, which isn't a cheap fix albeit hopefully some would have been caught under warranty , and I think this affect the N54s (the turboed engine in the 335i etc) more.

330i would be my choice if you can find one in the spec you want , lovely engine IMO with same sort of economy but a bit more oomph than the 325i , which is a fairly easy 30 MPG if you're not driving like Martian flooring it all the time, and considerably more on long runs

No personal experience of the diesels , mainly as my view is diesel engines are for vans and tractors, not cars, so I've only ever owned petrol

5. The following user liked this post made by TrickyDicky:

Liked 6,318 in 3,947 posts
    Blog Entries

In Bradford they were called Black Man's Wheels

Liked 496 in 301 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    In Bradford they were called Black Man's Wheels
    Round Medway they were called Break My Windows.

8. The following user liked this post made by Gregor:

Really Bored
    Liked 408 in 214 posts

I had a 118d on a 58 plate for four years.

No engine problems, same engine as the 120d, but without whatever gives the higher power 120 problems.

The only problem I had was with wheel speed sensors, a common problem that needs drive shafts replacing because the reluctor ring warps with corrosion.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,417 in 1,466 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    I'd drive one, any one 1st. They're a bit smaller than you might think....

...Actually I've not been in a bimmer for decades....

The only official factory V8 three series (ever) is the E90 shape M3...the one before the one that's out now.

My three suspension is too soft. I have the "SE" model so it's got old git spec suspension and it bounces around a bit. The M sport stuff is undeniably firmer, but IME even that is very cosseting.

I'd ignore what people are saying about sixes. Yes the IL6s are very very nice, but their IL4s are pretty much the best on the market too. You would only be unhappy with a BM two litre diesel IL4 if you'd spent lots of time in a BM IL6 first.

11. The following user liked this post made by Mr. Dazzle:

Liked 7,679 in 4,361 posts

I had an E92, mine was a very early one so got the N52 engine, the later ones are N53...the difference is the later ones are direct injection so the heads coke up and they have high pressure fuel pumps that fail... They do get at least 10 more mpg than the early ones tho.

In five years I did 50k miles, it need at least two tyres every mot and I had a vanos solenoid fail (75 part changed in 2 minutes) and the hydro pump went, but I bodged that up and sold it before it failed again. BMW will charge you 1200 for a new one, or you can get yours repaired by a 3rd party with guarantee for 250.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

13. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,417 in 1,466 posts
    Blog Entries

P.S. I'm coming up on 70k completed over 3 years in a 320d...It's an F30 rather than the earlier E92 shape you're looking at, but AFAIK it's the same engine family.

The only servicing needed has been the regular kind. It returns an average of 54mpg depsite some proper DLAC. It does love a new brake pad, but I think that's more to do with my twice daily blat across the roundabouts of MK

It does need some recall work doing on the exhaust system though. Ive not looked too closely at the problem cause it's being done by BMW FOC. Might be worth looking to see if earlier models with the same engine need it.

15. The following user liked this post made by Mr. Dazzle:

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,721 in 2,276 posts

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDicky View Post
    Good cars IMO.

Stick to N53 engined petrol (325i or 330i - both 3l straight six ) and no timing chain, turbo (335i) or other engine issues really.
    Only common issue I know of with them is the high Pressure fuel pump on some of them when they start getting decent mileages racked up, which isn't a cheap fix albeit hopefully some would have been caught under warranty , and I think this affect the N54s (the turboed engine in the 335i etc) more.

330i would be my choice if you can find one in the spec you want , lovely engine IMO with same sort of economy but a bit more oomph than the 325i , which is a fairly easy 30 MPG if you're not driving like Martian flooring it all the time, and considerably more on long runs

No personal experience of the diesels , mainly as my view is diesel engines are for vans and tractors, not cars, so I've only ever owned petrol
    I think a nice Honda Accord would suit Taipan better

My cars are just sunday toys really, so economy doesn't really need to be a consideration, hence i've not really looked at diesels. However, my old neighbour just told me he had a 330D which apparently is a 3.0 diesel and he said it was "fanfuckingtastic" to drive and he reckons it returned around 45-50mpg when driven normally?! So maybe I will look at diesels too, but its normally the noise of the things that put me off?

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    I think a nice Honda Accord would suit Taipan better
    No Jap car will ever grace my driveway! I hate the bloody things! My mates Son has a type R and he loves it but it has the most ridiculous wrap round dash thing that lights up like the bridge on the starship enterprise. Hideous. German understated FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    No Jap car will ever grace my driveway! I hate the bloody things! My mates Son has a type R and he loves it but it has the most ridiculous wrap round dash thing that lights up like the bridge on the starship enterprise. Hideous. German understated FTW!
    So if someone offered you an Evo X for free (including running costs) on the condition that you had to drive it (and keep it on your drive when not driving it) for a year minimum, you'd say "No, I do not want that Japanese car to grace my driveway"

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    So if someone offered you an Evo X for free (including running costs) on the condition that you had to drive it (and keep it on your drive when not driving it) for a year minimum, you'd say "No, I do not want that Japanese car to grace my driveway"
    Yes. I have zero interest in Jap cars. Why would I want to have the use of something I have no interest in? All it would be was in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Yes. I have zero interest in Jap cars. Why would I want to have the use of something I have no interest in? All it would be was in the way.
    This is entirely hypothetical and I'm just asking for askings sake

Surely a car is a tool that does it job, does it matter if it's made in Yokohama or Frankfurt?

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission