TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Upcoming Euro Trip - Seeking advice please

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Upcoming Euro Trip - Seeking advice please

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Hi all, looking for some advice if possible...

Myself and a friend are riding to La Spezia, Italy next month.

Day 1 - Glasgow - Hull to Zeebrugge.
    Day 2 - Zeebrugge to Basel.
    Day 3 - Basel to La Spezia.
    Day 4 - Day off.
    Day 5 - La Spezia to Lyon via south coast France.
    Day 6 - Lyon to London
    Day 7 - London back to Glasgow.

It's our first ever long distance bike trip and we realise we're covering some miles in a week but I'm just wondering if anyone has any good routes they can share on any of the legs of our journey? Obviously the most direct routes will get us there quicker but just incase there are any 'must see' routes on the way. Don't want to miss anything that would otherwise require a slight detour off the main motorways etc. Oh, weapons of choice are my friends Bandit 1250s and my Triumph Sprint ST 1050.

Many thanks in advance.

Gordon

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,685 in 2,250 posts

Default Re: Upcoming Euro Trip - Seeking advice please

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your trip

3. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Not Much To Do
    Liked 44 in 30 posts

Wellcome, do you know Dave Huthwaite from Inverkip? Going to meet him this afternoon for a little bimble around the Highlands.

At Work
    Liked 480 in 254 posts

I would say looking at those daily distances your looking at motorways all the way and still doing 7/8 hours of riding, 400+ miles. Day 5 La Spezi to Lyon is 8 hours if you do the coast motorway and A7 without fuel,food, piss stops battling through Genoa now the bridge has fallen down and your missing out the N85 Route Napoleon, Stelvio, Grossglockner passes.
    Going through Switzerland on those timescales/ distances you'll need a motorway pass at 40.
    I've ridden and driven down to Italy and southern France most years since about 1985 doing up 5000 miles a year in western europe and and done lots of the passes and good roads, you won't have much time to see anything.
    Don't stay in Switzerland its too expensive, Mullhouse is cheaper and close enough to Basel. Did that last year.
    You need to cut it down to about 300 ish miles a day, about half of which could be autoroutes

6. The following user liked this post made by GuzziPaul:

Liked 3,499 in 2,317 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gordydee View Post
    It's our first ever long distance bike trip
    Quote Originally Posted by GuzziPaul View Post
    I would say looking at those daily distances your looking at motorways all the way and still doing 7/8 hours of riding, 400+ miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuzziPaul View Post
    You need to cut it down to about 300 ish miles a day, about half of which could be autoroutes
    You need to plan in breaks: every 200 miles / 2-3 hours

TBH, do you really want to spend an entire week ploughing along motorways, with one day to recover (you're likely to be too knackered to want to do any sightseeing)? Just because they're forrin motorways, won't make it any more attractive than the M6

8. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Horse:

At Work
    Liked 480 in 254 posts

Have a break every fuel stop, know how far you can get on a full tank and how far you can get on reserve. The bike with the shortest range sets when you stop. Look for fuel about 10 miles before going onto reserve. Both of you fill up petrol tank and empty bladder at the same stop.

Use at least one satnav and follower the leader even if they go wrong as it really eats into the time trying to meet up somewhere on an unknown motorway. Install what3words on your phone, if you get seperated you can text your exact location to the other person even if you don't know where you are.

Liked 2,833 in 2,028 posts

I would add at least two days. BTW i was reading on the BBC that come October/November the Rosyth ferry may be starting up again

11. The following user liked this post made by 1888:

Liked 4,025 in 2,013 posts

I would also add that autoroutes are great for covering distance but you dont really "see" the country

I have travelled from the UK then through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and into Denmark in a day ......... it was all a jumble of boring straight lanes and different languages at petrol fill up time was the only way we knew which country we were in. The next day was Denmark and Sweden then into Norway ... all the same except for the highlight of the Oresund crossing from Denmark to Sweden. Our trip didnt start properly till we got off the main roads and went exploring for a couple of weeks

They serve a fucntion but i would rather not use them if at all possible and see more of the places i visit

13. The following user liked this post made by Bigyin:

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 2,987 in 2,023 posts

I have just come back from a 4300 mile jaunt, but I took 21 days to do it.

I agree with everyone else, that is an endurance test, not a holiday. More time, or less miles.
    Yes, you can do 650 miles in a day, I have done it, I didn't enjoy it, and I don't plan to do it again. I certainly didn't no this last trip. 350, 400 miles is enough on M'ways to get the distance done, then get off the M'ways and plan on 200 miles per day to see the country.

I would also give Switzerland a miss unless you particularly want to do the Swiss passes. The rest of it is expensive, and their M'ways are get very congested, with speed limit changes to catch you out. You can get to Italy via France, or (my favourite) Austria.
    Last edited by Cousin Jack; 24-08-19 at 12:39.

15. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Cousin Jack:

At Work
    Liked 480 in 254 posts

I would suggest Zeebrugge to Vianden (Luxembourg) via Namur. Blast through Germany via Stuttgart to Innsbruck area. Day 3 to Lake Garda/Como via Stelvio Pass Day 4 to La Spezia.
    Coming back get to Nice/Cannes day 1. Day 2 Digne - Gap - Grenoble N85. Day 3 Up to Nancy/Metz area. Day 4 Up to Zeebrugge

Should Get Out More
    Liked 992 in 585 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    I have just come back from a 4300 mile jaunt, but I took 21 days to do it.

I agree with everyone else, that is an endurance test, not a holiday. More time, or less miles.
    Yes, you can do 650 miles in a day, I have done it, I didn't enjoy it, and I don't plan to do it again. I certainly didn't no this last trip. 350, 400 miles is enough on M'ways to get the distance done, then get off the M'ways and plan on 200 miles per day to see the country.

I would also give Switzerland a miss unless you particularly want to do the Swiss passes. The rest of it is expensive, and their M'ways are get very congested, with speed limit changes to catch you out. You can get to Italy via France, or (my favourite) Austria.

Something else no-one has mentioned, you may not sleep well on the ferry. Riding the length of Belgium and Germany the next day may not be the greatest of ideas, and likewise, Hull back to Glasgow won't be fun if you have a sleepless night.

You really have to decide whether you are simply trying to clock up miles for the sake of it, or whether you want to enjoy the riding experience, or whether you're there to see the scenery.

If you're aiming for an Ironbutt entry, then the motorways are fine.

If you want to have fun on twisty roads, then 250 miles a day is a reasonable target.

If you want to enjoy some local food and look at the scenery, knock off another 50-100 miles.

There are some lovely places to ride and explore within a couple of hundred miles of Zeebrugge, not least the Ardennes. Not much further on are the Vosges and the Black Forest. Aim for them, and you'll have time to stop other than at filling stations.

18. The following 2 users liked this useful post by The Spin Doctor:

Liked 2,833 in 2,028 posts

776 miles from Zeebrugge to Spezia

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Ze...!3e0!4e1?hl=en

Even that route i would split over three days. You can cover not a great distance in a lot of time in northern Italy and South Switzerland.

20. The following user liked this post made by 1888:

Liked 1,534 in 888 posts

What they've all said above.

Even when I was vanning, I kept the distances under 200mile per day, otherwise it's just droning down boring roads.

Remember you can only (reasonably safely) get your average speed in a day over 35mph if you're on motorways virtually all the time. Cross-country average speed, even pushing on and taking silly risks, is difficult to get over 35mph over the course of a full day.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission