TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best road/all-round tyres?

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,770 in 1,690 posts

Default Re: Best road/all-round tyres?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Pilot roads are good, I've also tried roadsmart 3's and really liked them on my 1090 adventure. Here they are going ok on a race track

Liked 128 in 82 posts

Bridgestone BT023 GT work really well on my vfr750 and on the fjr1300

Liked 182 in 111 posts

Metzeler M7RR or Rosso Corsa 3s be my pick of the bunch for the riding you describe...

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 2,960 in 2,005 posts

Quote Originally Posted by egypt220 View Post
    Bridgestone BT023 GT work really well on my vfr750 and on the fjr1300

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    You often find some good deals on previous generation tyres, but some of them have been on the shelf for a long time.

Some people say tyres over 5 years old are no good, some people say put a couple of heat cycles through them and they'll be good as new. I'd be tempted by something like Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's, you can get pairs for 150 or maybe Bridgestone BT-016's for a bit less.

Pilot Roads are great tyres, but they're not the most affordable or the best on track.
    There may be something in the 'going off after 5 years' bit. I had Bridgestone BT023s on the VFR, the first set were fine, so I replaced them with the same. Then I did very low miles for a few years, and although they were only about 1/2 worn they were horrible. Squared off a bit, and felt very iffy, then one ride turned wet and I had about 3 'moments' in 25 miles, despite taking it easy. They had to go, and hence the PR5s. As I said wet grip is superb and I doubt my riding style will get them overheated in the dry. Track days may be different.

Liked 10,150 in 5,294 posts

I had MAXXIS Diamonds on a bike recently. I really liked them and its what will be going on the F8R when it needs tyres.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,606 in 2,192 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    I had MAXXIS Diamonds on a bike recently. I really liked them and its what will be going on the F8R when it needs tyres.
    I did a couple of track days with the Maxxis Diamonds my FZR400 came with, they were better than the tyres I raced on in the 80s.

7. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 6,083 in 3,819 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    I did a couple of track days with the Maxxis Diamonds my FZR400 came with, they were better than the tyres I raced on in the 80s.
    We all started on KR124s. Then moved to Michelin TG11 and TG22. Were fantastic. No warmers needed.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,606 in 2,192 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    We all started on KR124s. Then moved to Michelin TG11 and TG22. We're fantastic. No warmers needed.
    I used Michelins on a 250LC, I can't remember the model numbers, they were good for the time, but compared with modern tyres had no feel.

Liked 7,418 in 4,192 posts

I raced my aircooled RD250 10 years ago on KR124's. I'm sure thy still make them... in very small batches and with whatever compound happens to be knocking around at the Fort.

11. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Liked 128 in 82 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    There may be something in the 'going off after 5 years' bit. I had Bridgestone BT023s on the VFR, the first set were fine, so I replaced them with the same. Then I did very low miles for a few years, and although they were only about 1/2 worn they were horrible. Squared off a bit, and felt very iffy, then one ride turned wet and I had about 3 'moments' in 25 miles, despite taking it easy. They had to go, and hence the PR5s. As I said wet grip is superb and I doubt my riding style will get them overheated in the dry. Track days may be different.
    The BT 023 are shit the 023 GT are much better

Liked 555 in 305 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    You often find some good deals on previous generation tyres, but some of them have been on the shelf for a long time.

Some people say tyres over 5 years old are no good, some people say put a couple of heat cycles through them and they'll be good as new. I'd be tempted by something like Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's, you can get pairs for 150 or maybe Bridgestone BT-016's for a bit less.

Pilot Roads are great tyres, but they're not the most affordable or the best on track.
    I'm using 2CTs on the Brutale, I like them and they're way better than I am. I had Pilot Road 3s on it previously, I managed to overheat them at Cadwell but it was 28C in the shade which probably had more of an effect than my riding

Really Bored
    Liked 894 in 567 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    The modern stuff is all great. Us old farts had to ride on 2" wide Yokohama tyres.
    That.

Liked 3,950 in 1,965 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MsignorMartinez View Post
    Excuse the flippancy. My point is, unless you're really (really) quick, any of the big brand recent model sports touring tyres will be more than good enough.
    I know he used to be a half decent club level racer if that helps

As others have said a sport tyre aimed at track days wont give you decent 2 up mileage return but a Sport Touring tyre will and unless you are pushing it on a track day then you'll probably get away with the ST

For the last few years i have been using GT tyres as i want mileage, wet and dry grip and dont need track day grip

Liked 79 in 34 posts

Cheers for the help all. I realise I'm asking a lot.

Everything except the trackdays seems to be the one which is cool. I have a spare set of wheels for a CBR600F4i I can stick track tyres on if they for the F4 model.
    ��
    Always preferred Pirelli due to feel but might try Avon's or PR5s.

Liked 3,950 in 1,965 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Okcomputer View Post
    Cheers for the help all. I realise I'm asking a lot.

Everything except the trackdays seems to be the one which is cool. I have a spare set of wheels for a CBR600F4i I can stick track tyres on if they for the F4 model.
    ��
    Always preferred Pirelli due to feel but might try Avon's or PR5s.
    If you like Pirelli and want mileage and good wet/dry grip then Pirelli Angel GT2 are the way forward>My favourite tyre on the last Multistrada and gave about 5-6000 from a rear when others last 3500 ish

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission