TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Suzuki V Strom for Bike Vagabond

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Suzuki V Strom for Bike Vagabond

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    OK So Im considering buying one of these primarily for touring around Europe and maybe North Africa far from the UK shores . Can any owners talk about their reliability ?
    As a guy with about enough money to purchase the bike and pay about a years worth of petrol and having no other means of income .....
    Aside from miles per gallon the last thing a broke bike vagabond wants is repair bills especially while travelling . Am I going with the right bike ? Or is there something youd like to recommend ?
    My goal is to see as many countries for the least amount of money - will be wild camping , campsites or staying with friends - so a reliable bike is my priority .
    Any ideas most welcome .

Liked 1,800 in 1,179 posts

Default Re: Suzuki V Strom for Bike Vagabond

https://www.therevcounter.co.uk/thre...V-Strom-Advice

I'd watch you don't end up riding round in circles forgetting who/where you are

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,508 in 2,128 posts

If you're intending to do a lot of dirt roads use a bike with wire wheels, cast wheels will crack eventually, there's no reason why you couldn't fit wire wheels to a V-Strom, but I think it would cost over 1K to get them made for it.

For what you want to do I'd look at getting an old Yamaha XT600E and getting it prepared by somebody like Dave Lambeth
    If you must have a new bike then the Yamaha 700 Tenere is what I would go for.

Liked 7,264 in 4,099 posts

A XT660Z Tenere might be a better option, but won't be as 'fast' as a V-Strom on tarmac, but much more capable when the roads get rough... or mid way between the two is something like the Honda Transalp.

Liked 1,800 in 1,179 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    If you're intending to do a lot of dirt roads use a bike with wire wheels, cast wheels will crack eventually, there's no reason why you couldn't fit wire wheels to a V-Strom, but I think it would cost over 1K to get them made for it.

For what you want to do I'd look at getting an old Yamaha XT600E and getting it prepared by somebody like Dave Lambeth
    If you must have a new bike then the Yamaha 700 Tenere is what I would go for.
    They do a 650 Vstrom with spokey dokeys. The XT version, looks nicer than the normal version too although I hate cleaning spokes but if he's riding to Africa I don't think he'll be too worried about cleaning stuff.

The 660 Tenere or the new 700 I'd agree is probably a better bet though. Or a KTM 690 Enduro but they are expensive and more maintenance

Liked 28 in 16 posts

The VStrom is definitely not an enduro bike, but as a road-based tourer on a budget it an excellent option. Engine is rock-solid reliable and the rest of it is fairly simple.
    Best thing about mine, I think, is the genuine 250 miles to the tank. I've even eked out 300 miles on a gentle A- and B-road pootle across Germany at over 70mpg. It's comfy enough to ride all day too.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission