TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boat Shed Thread.

Liked 4,193 in 2,057 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Boat Shed Thread.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    The Naval museum in Instanbul has a fine collection of oars, to match the collection of ceremonial boats.
    It has. I enjoyed a couple of hours in there a few years ago but I was disappointed that there was not more variety to the exhibits. A cake is a caique is a caique is a caique! Great for lording it around on the Bosphorus but not the best fishing boat.

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Any yulohs out there? That's a single oar use over the stern of the boat.

Never seen one. I fancy a go at sculling but it's more a method for quieter waters I think. I wouldn't try it in Panana, it's way too tippy to stand in the stern and waggle an oar!

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,274 in 2,460 posts
    Blog Entries

I particularly like that the diving gear in the Naval museum was in the basement.

Caiques, each one bigger than the last.

Blog Entries

I finished off the inwales at the stern and gave everything a coat of epoxy. The inwales need sanding smooth and recoating with epoxy after that but I'm away now for a month so I just gave them a bit of protection. Kamoron's job while I'm away is to get rid of all the old paint inside the boat and paint it. Apparently, he has a week off school at some point in the next month so his mum is adamant that it will be done. With the stern inwales done that is the end of the structural work and really, all I have left to do is to fashion a gunwale out of ply and attach it to pretty everything up.

I also got Panana out of the water yesterday evening and Bubbles covered up this morning.

It's been a busy few days.

Tonight, I'm on the midnight bus to Istanbul and at 01:20 Thursday morning I fly to Kathmandu for a month. Twenty four days or so of that month will be walking from just north of Jiri to Everest Base Camp (the classic route in to the Everest region) and Gokyo, probably the long way round as I'm probably a bit too old for the Cho La pass which would save a week's walking. Most people fly in to Lukla nowadays but that's expensive and Lukla is the most dangerous airport in the world so discretion is the better part of valour. So a lot of walking but no boats for a month - fantastic!

4. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Yambo:

Liked 1,568 in 912 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    I finished off the inwales at the stern and gave everything a coat of epoxy. The inwales need sanding smooth and recoating with epoxy after that but I'm away now for a month so I just gave them a bit of protection. Kamoron's job while I'm away is to get rid of all the old paint inside the boat and paint it. Apparently, he has a week off school at some point in the next month so his mum is adamant that it will be done. With the stern inwales done that is the end of the structural work and really, all I have left to do is to fashion a gunwale out of ply and attach it to pretty everything up.

I also got Panana out of the water yesterday evening and Bubbles covered up this morning.

It's been a busy few days.

Tonight, I'm on the midnight bus to Istanbul and at 01:20 Thursday morning I fly to Kathmandu for a month. Twenty four days or so of that month will be walking from just north of Jiri to Everest Base Camp (the classic route in to the Everest region) and Gokyo, probably the long way round as I'm probably a bit too old for the Cho La pass which would save a week's walking. Most people fly in to Lukla nowadays but that's expensive and Lukla is the most dangerous airport in the world so discretion is the better part of valour. So a lot of walking but no boats for a month - fantastic!

I hope you have a great time!

Liked 10,517 in 5,497 posts

II'm really enjoying this thread. Can you cut your holiday to two weeks please. Bit selfish going off enjoying yourself and leaving us hanging!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    II'm really enjoying this thread. Can you cut your holiday to two weeks please. Bit selfish going off enjoying yourself and leaving us hanging!
    There's not much thread left really so you won't have much to wait for.

However, when I'm back I have a long list of jobs I want to do on Bubbles so I'll probably document them and I'm making 3 more of these for friends so we can race them in the new year.

As I'm making 3 they all need to be identical so over the last couple of weeks I've been making templates of the hull parts. I have a few more templates to make then I'll be cutting the bits out and putting them together so a build log to keep you interested.

The small boat is a RC sloop, designed by an ol' boy called Gary Webb. It's a simple design and easily constructed but more of that when I'm back.

Have a good 4 and a bit weeks, just bear in mind I have a few hills to climb with diminishing oxygen levels and a rucksack on my back. Making models may be all I'm fit for when (and if ) I get back.

8. The following user liked this post made by Yambo:

Liked 10,517 in 5,497 posts

Lol, we look forward to whatever! Safe journey Amigo...

A Bit Bored
    Liked 23 in 10 posts

Inwales! I never knew that was a word! Fantastic.

Really Bored
    Liked 834 in 610 posts

Quote Originally Posted by nick h. View Post
    Inwales! I never knew that was a word! Fantastic.
    I've been inwales for 5 years now.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission