TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat Shed Thread.

Really Bored
    Liked 658 in 461 posts

Default Re: Boat Shed Thread.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    That's a lot of clamps. Do you have the local concession on them?

Really Bored
    Liked 825 in 603 posts

Rowlocks is good...especially when secured to the boat so they don't fall out or get nicked...

Lovely work btw, I might post a photo of my terrible cupola later....

Liked 4,171 in 2,053 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lutin View Post
    That's a lot of clamps. Do you have the local concession on them?

Lots of clamps are vital when building or repairing boats. I only have about 50 and could sometimes use more. F clamps are not that expensive so if I'm desperate I'll buy a few more.

However, I'm retired from making boats now so I might even sell some next year!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by davidat19 View Post
    Rowlocks is good...especially when secured to the boat so they don't fall out or get nicked...

Lovely work btw, I might post a photo of my terrible cupola later....
    Thanks. I prefer rowlocks but thole pins are OK, although depending on how you tie them on it can restrict full movement of the oars. I tend to row a bit faster than the local boys as I'm usually doing it for exercise and rowlocks are better in those circumstances.

5. The following user liked this post made by Yambo:

Really Bored
    Liked 825 in 603 posts

The cupola is finshed (is that what you call it...its the bit to sit on the roof where the flue comes through so that the stainless plate goes on horizontal)....but it is shit (I did metal work, not woodwork) and made from stock.
    a) it cost SFA
    b) it will be covered in felt and roof paint, so no one will know.

I would have fitted it but the forecast lied, said rain this arvo, which didn't happen.

I am also a bit wary of chopping a hole in the roof as I have just (foolishly ) welded brackets on to the frame it sits on and welded brackets to the shed frame. This now determines that wherever I cut the hole, it will be wrong, and the brackets will get ground off.

Blog Entries

The cupola is finshed (is that what you call it...its the bit to sit on the roof where the flue comes through so that the stainless plate goes on horizontal)....but it is shit (I did metal work, not woodwork) and made from stock.
    a) it cost SFA
    b) it will be covered in felt and roof paint, so no one will know.

I would have fitted it but the forecast lied, said rain this arvo, which didn't happen.

I am also a bit wary of chopping a hole in the roof as I have just (foolishly ) welded brackets on to the frame it sits on and welded brackets to the shed frame. This now determines that wherever I cut the hole, it will be wrong, and the brackets will get ground off.

Can't you cut off the brackets and weld them on somewhere else. How many brackets? Is that number really required?

You need to remember the 7 Ps.

Really Bored
    Liked 825 in 603 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    Can't you cut off the brackets and weld them on somewhere else. How many brackets? Is that number really required?

You need to remember the 7 Ps.
    Only 6....yes they can certainly come off....6 should be enough......
    What are the 7ps?

Liked 10,326 in 5,387 posts

Only 6....yes they can certainly come off....6 should be enough......
    What are the 7ps?

Army adage, proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance, or such like?

10. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Army adage, proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance, or such like?

Aye, that's spot on!

12. The following user liked this post made by Yambo:

Really Bored
    Liked 825 in 603 posts

Aye, that's spot on!
    Tjats me buggered then....

Liked 1,537 in 890 posts

I'm going to fit smaller, stainless steel units as they're a lot smarter and don't break as easily. Personally I prefer rowlocks and have 2 sets of very nice bronze ones for Panana. I think it's the only boat in this area with rowlocks.
    Lovely stuff!

If it's the only boat around with rowlocks, and everything else has thole pins - does that limit your choice when it comes to oars? (or does it only limit your oars to being used on your boat?) If you have thole pins is it usual practise in that area to bolster the oar somewhat? (I've only ever used rowlocks).

ah - having googled 'thole pins' I can see that normally it doesn't really affect the oar that much depending on usage. For some reason I though that the oar would have a hole through it (for the pin to stick through). I'm sure I've seen that somewhere...... (maybe just in my fevered imagination?)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    Lovely stuff!

If it's the only boat around with rowlocks, and everything else has thole pins - does that limit your choice when it comes to oars? (or does it only limit your oars to being used on your boat?) If you have thole pins is it usual practise in that area to bolster the oar somewhat? (I've only ever used rowlocks).

ah - having googled 'thole pins' I can see that normally it doesn't really affect the oar that much depending on usage. For some reason I though that the oar would have a hole through it (for the pin to stick through). I'm sure I've seen that somewhere...... (maybe just in my fevered imagination?)

Few points there RB! I think, iirc, maybe I've seen pins and holes through oars (through a thicker square block) in the far east. Perhaps.

The rowlocks did not work well with Turkish/E Mediterranean oars - I've been looking for a photo but so far unsuccessfully - as they are a flatter shaft. I have a pair of spoon blade oars with round shafts and leather collars on (yes, I'm a bit of a snob ) that I brought over from UK (I got them from Fyne Boats in Kendal and they're made in Canada. I wanted a pair of Shaw and Tenney spoon blades but they are pricey. Turkish style oars did not suit Panana at all. I'll see if I can find some photos or take a couple.

The local oars are plain wood, sometimes teak or iroko with nothing fancy. They're held loosely against the pin with a bit of rope tied anyway that suits. They're OK but I row for fitness and because I enjoy it and for me, decent oars and rowlocks works best.

16. The following user liked this post made by Yambo:

Blog Entries

Here ya go! A pair of Turkish style oars that I sold along with the 10" tin boat a few months ago and my spoon blades lying on the beach after I'd come back from a session.

18. The following user liked this post made by Yambo:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 23 in 10 posts

Lovely job. Any tips for avoiding an orange peel finish? That was an issue with the last boat I worked on:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwh4b20rir0

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nick h. View Post
    Lovely job. Any tips for avoiding an orange peel finish? That was an issue with the last boat I worked on:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwh4b20rir0

Ha ha! I'm not keen on that baroque(?) style interior. I prefer this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD6m...K0Rc0R5mXxP1qE

A couple of years ago I had a beer with the guy who had run the interiors shop at the Pirini Navi yard in Istanbul and had overseen the interior of the Maltese Falcon yacht. He was very complementary about Panana and we had a laugh when I told him that it is without doubt, the best boat in the Marmaris area. I think he got the joke but the guy who had introduced me, a retired professor who has a Beneteau trawler style boat didn't. His boat is naturally better than my 15' Skerry, isn't it? The reason my boat is the best boat around here? It's mine.

I have only one tip for avoiding orange peel finish*.

I don't spray my boats but use a roller . I'm also pretty crap at getting a decent finish but it's not a problem as I don't make the boats for show but to be used. Despite sanding the surface with up to 400 grit paper and sanding between every second coat (I know, I should sand every coat) I get bored with the continual sanding and eventually slap the last coat on as carefully as I can and launch the boat.

There is an old saying that the camera doesn't lie. Well that's a lie. The first coat of paint on any surface shows up all the imperfections but take the photo from the right angle and those imperfections simply disappear. That picture above of the painted hull? It's a lie. The extra fibreglass patches I put on to strengthen the previous repairs are exposed because I didn't sand the edges out as well as I could have done. Kamoron, his mum and dad aren't bothered because he's 10 years old and wants his boat in the water. They all know it's an old boat that he'll get some fun out of for a couple of years then get something better. I don't want it to fall apart the first time he hits the beach or harbour wall badly and I'm fairly confident that the work I've done will prevent that. Getting the hull faired properly would have taken a large number of sanding disks at around 1 TL a disc and I'm doing this for free and providing as much as I can from stuff I have lying around. You get what you pay for which leads me on to my tip for avoiding an orange peel finish.

*Get a professional to do it. If there is still an orange peel finish, get the professional to do it again. If it's still an orange peel finish, get another professional to re-do it. Repeat as required. It's really very simple.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission