TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Beware "auto renewals"

Liked 2,801 in 1,987 posts

Default Beware "auto renewals"

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I know it's all been said before but it's worth repeating.

Case in point.

Our home insurance was up for renewal on 18th September. It's currently insured through Tesco and the premium last year was 176* and yes, I did opt for auto-renewal with the knowledge that I'd have plenty of notice to be able to explore other providers if the renewal price was out of order.

Earier this month I received an email from Tesco home insurance stating that the auto-renewal new price would be 204, an increase of 28 (+16%). I thought stuff that, so went onto a couple of well known price comparison sites to get some like for like competitive quotes. Surprise, surprise, one of the most competitive quotes was from ... Tesco at 128!

So I called Tesco insurance and yep, it was the same insurance but perhaps "from another broker" (yeah, right ). 10 minutes later Tesco came back with a price match of 128.

* also includes stuff like insurance for specified items away from home such Mrs irie's engagement ring.

2. The following user liked this post made by irie:

Liked 4,731 in 2,313 posts

Default Re: Beware "auto renewals"

Van insurance auto renew came in at 288, confuse the markets started at 230, called them and said they were 50 quid high so they knocked it down to 195...

4. The following user liked this post made by chillitt:

Quote Originally Posted by chillitt View Post
    Van insurance auto renew came in at 288, confuse the markets started at 230, called them and said they were 50 quid high so they knocked it down to 195...
    lol!

Liked 9,835 in 5,131 posts

I always end up insured on my cars with Hastings. Each year their renewal is about 500 dearer than last year and each year the comparison sites bring their polices up around the same price i paid before. I ring them and give them my quote reference and they match or undercut it by about 20. They cant adjust it without the quote ref. Been doing this every year for about 5 years now.

7. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    I always end up insured on my cars with Hastings. Each year their renewal is about 500 dearer than last year and each year the comparison sites bring their polices up around the same price i paid before. I ring them and give them my quote reference and they match or undercut it by about 20. They cant adjust it without the quote ref. Been doing this every year for about 5 years now.
    Tesco also asked for my quote reference, funny that.

Liked 291 in 145 posts

A well known motorcycle insurance co this year refused initially to offer me a renewal, them relented and came in with a renewal price of
    So I guess you don't want my business then.
    You want to live in France, you have to give 2 months notice you don't want to renew, even before you receive any renewal price.

Liked 411 in 234 posts

I posted this on another thread the other day....

all my Tiger's auto renewal emails went into my junk folder so I never saw them until I remembered that it was due so went looking for them. It turned out that 'Triumph insurance' (which is actually Adrian Flux with a Triumph logo) had already taken money from my credit card that day...120 which was exactly the same as last years premium, to the penny.

11. The following user liked this post made by tafflade:

Liked 508 in 338 posts

Churchill last year 266. This year - auto-renewal - 268. Price comparison down to 220. Phoned them: "cancel the auto-renewal. What's the best you can do?" "How about 213?" Yep, ok, but you've cancelled the auto-renewal yeah?

13. The following user liked this post made by GreenMachine:

Liked 2,604 in 1,419 posts

This was the first year I was offered a renewal. My second year with ERS. Same as last year for full comp with recovery. And much cheaper than Bikesure which just kept getting more ridiculous every year. Keeping in mind they are insuring a non-resident with a UK reg. year on year.

Liked 372 in 217 posts

I told Carol Nash I didn't want to auto renew (car) and got my insurance elsewhere. They took the money any way and I had a devil of a job getting the money back

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission