TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Dis-used hot tap - legionnaires risk?

  1. #1
    Should Get Out More Supermofo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,138
    Like
    3,328
    Liked 1,978 in 1,293 posts

    Default Dis-used hot tap - legionnaires risk?


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Our downstairs loo was converted to a small utility room ages ago. There is a small sink in there. I used to run the taps once a week mainly to prevent legionnaires as I was told this was a risk.

    I've forgotten to run it in a long long time and there is a slight drains smell coming from the basin so I was gonna run the taps. Leave it alone or run it?

  2. #2
    Should Get Out More Yambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Looking at the Med . . .
    Posts
    16,911
    Like
    1,271
    Liked 4,275 in 2,102 posts
    Blog Entries
    23

    Default Re: Dis-used hot tap - legionnaires risk?

    Throw some bleach down the plug hole first, leave it for 5 minutes and then run the tap.

  3. The following user liked this post made by Yambo:


  4. #3
    At Work Falcoholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Scotchland
    Posts
    1,583
    Like
    521
    Liked 428 in 233 posts

    Default Re: Dis-used hot tap - legionnaires risk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    Our downstairs loo was converted to a small utility room ages ago. There is a small sink in there. I used to run the taps once a week mainly to prevent legionnaires as I was told this was a risk.

    I've forgotten to run it in a long long time and there is a slight drains smell coming from the basin so I was gonna run the taps. Leave it alone or run it?
    The drain smell is the trap (U bend) drying out. There's no water in it to prevent the drain smells coming back up the drain.

    Legionnaires bacteria proliferates at 20-45C. Run the tap occasionally until it's scalding hot i.e pasteurisation, this'll kill any bacteria (highly unlikely it is present anyway) and stop the trap from drying out.

  5. #4
    Should Get Out More Supermofo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,138
    Like
    3,328
    Liked 1,978 in 1,293 posts

    Default Re: Dis-used hot tap - legionnaires risk?

    So seeing as it's been probably a year since it was last run. What's best. Hold my breath, turn the tap on and leg it for 10 mins?

    As I said I was pretty good at remembering, but forgot a looooong time ago.

  6. #5
    Should Get Out More gremlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Posts
    16,953
    Like
    564
    Liked 4,948 in 2,467 posts

    Default Re: Dis-used hot tap - legionnaires risk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcoholic View Post
    The drain smell is the trap (U bend) drying out. There's no water in it to prevent the drain smells coming back up the drain.


    I get this with my rarely-used downstairs shower room. Run the tap once in a while and it's job jobbed. Stop anything seizing up to boot.

  7. #6
    Should Get Out More gremlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Posts
    16,953
    Like
    564
    Liked 4,948 in 2,467 posts

    Default Re: Dis-used hot tap - legionnaires risk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    What's best.
    Manning the fuck up.


    (Spoken like the newly qualified Mental Health First Aider that I am. )

  8. The following 8 users liked this useful post by gremlin:


  9. #7
    Should Get Out More Supermofo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,138
    Like
    3,328
    Liked 1,978 in 1,293 posts

    Default Re: Dis-used hot tap - legionnaires risk?

    Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    Manning the fuck up.


    (Spoken like the newly qualified Mental Health First Aider that I am. )
    Mrs is working in Cuba at the moment else I'd have bravely sent her in

  10. #8
    Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    1985
    Posts
    16,828
    Like
    1,347
    Liked 3,822 in 2,353 posts

    Default Re: Dis-used hot tap - legionnaires risk?

    Pour a kettle full of boiling water down the drain, that'll sort the smell out.

    But do you really think you'll get Legionnaires Disease from a disused tap?

  11. #9
    Should Get Out More Supermofo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,138
    Like
    3,328
    Liked 1,978 in 1,293 posts

    Default Re: Dis-used hot tap - legionnaires risk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    But do you really think you'll get Legionnaires Disease from a disused tap?
    I'd never thought about it till Veggie Dave (remember him) came over to do some plumbing work and said it wasn't clever for me to leave the tap without running it or removing it. Else I'd never given it a thought.

  12. #10
    Should Get Out More Ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sausagechester
    Posts
    18,751
    Like
    195
    Liked 1,476 in 1,044 posts

    Default Re: Dis-used hot tap - legionnaires risk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Pour a kettle full of boiling water down the drain, that'll sort the smell out.

    But do you really think you'll get Legionnaires Disease from a disused tap?
    Don't do that, especially if the sink is ceramic.

  13. The following user liked this post made by Ant:


  14. #11
    Should Get Out More Ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sausagechester
    Posts
    18,751
    Like
    195
    Liked 1,476 in 1,044 posts

    Default Re: Dis-used hot tap - legionnaires risk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    I'd never thought about it till Veggie Dave (remember him) came over to do some plumbing work and said it wasn't clever for me to leave the tap without running it or removing it. Else I'd never given it a thought.
    Even if you remove the tap, you'd need to take the pipework back to stop a dead leg of stagnant water. It's not a massive problem at home, the risk from your tap will be small however if you're worried, open the window and just run the tap for a few mins.

  15. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Ant:


  16. #12
    Should Get Out More GiantPygmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    22,463
    Like
    7,180
    Liked 5,925 in 3,150 posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dis-used hot tap - legionnaires risk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    So seeing as it's been probably a year since it was last run. What's best. Hold my breath, turn the tap on and leg it for 10 mins?

    As I said I was pretty good at remembering, but forgot a looooong time ago.
    I'd pour some bleach down closely followed by a kettle full of boiling water. but I'd keep it secret so I don't have to hand my man card in

  17. The following 2 users liked this useful post by GiantPygmy:


  18. #13
    This is the way The Martian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Earth...just visiting
    Posts
    31,879
    Like
    6,682
    Liked 3,870 in 2,233 posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Dis-used hot tap - legionnaires risk?

    Bleach or drain cleaner down the hole, give it 10 mins then open a window and run the tap gently (just enough to get a constant stream so it isn't throwing droplets into the air) for 5 minutes.

    As Ant said, don't chuck boiling water down it you could crack the sink and possibly generate a leak (fast expansion of plastic pipes) and the risk is minimal.

  19. The following user liked this post made by The Martian:


  20. #14
    Should Get Out More KungFooBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Forest Moon of Endor
    Posts
    17,680
    Like
    425
    Liked 7,968 in 4,532 posts

    Default Re: Dis-used hot tap - legionnaires risk?

    Move house, make it someone else's problem.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  21. The following 2 users liked this useful post by KungFooBob:


  22. #15
    At Work sadlonelygit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,530
    Like
    8
    Liked 141 in 87 posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dis-used hot tap - legionnaires risk?


  23. The following user liked this post made by sadlonelygit:


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission