TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 157

Thread: Epic adventure, Gent Wevelgem sportive 2020

  1. #46
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Newbury
    Posts
    8,123
    Like
    2,382
    Liked 1,586 in 1,017 posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: New bike day... the "I'll give it till Weds..." bike


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I was avoiding the SPD debate but FWIW- I don’t think there’s much if anything in it power or technique wise when it comes to pedalling. You should never be trying to lift a crank arm with your leg!

    They are much better for keeping your foot in the right place though. Either off road to avoid slipping / losing calf skin or on road for comfort / foot position.

    Seeing as you don’t ride with them- there’s definitely no point starting especially for one event.

  2. #47
    Should Get Out More Weeksy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Newbury/Didcot
    Posts
    56,515
    Like
    2,911
    Liked 10,417 in 5,960 posts

    Default Re: New bike day... the "I'll give it till Weds..." bike

    I've absolutely no intention of starting.

    In exactly the same way, we're not riding in lycra either lol. We're MTB boys through and through, we don't need to be scaring people and putting them off their tea.

  3. The following user liked this post made by Weeksy:


  4. #48
    Expecting rain saga_lout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Essex, innit
    Posts
    28,180
    Like
    4,277
    Liked 5,080 in 3,393 posts

    Default Re: New bike day... the "I'll give it till Weds..." bike

    Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    I've absolutely no intention of starting.

    In exactly the same way, we're not riding in lycra either lol. We're MTB boys through and through, we don't need to be scaring people and putting them off their tea.
    I ride in tight fitting lycra to show off my finely honed physique*. I get lots of admiring glances from the ladies*. You should try it.



    * Yeah, I know: in my dreams.

  5. #49
    Should Get Out More Pirahna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,532
    Like
    1,018
    Liked 1,594 in 824 posts

    Default Re: New bike day... the "I'll give it till Weds..." bike

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosshair View Post
    You should never be trying to lift a crank arm with your leg!
    LOL

    You're racing up that short, steep incline, or in a sprint for the finish line, or even just an acceleration, you'll definitely be pulling up. Being able to unweight or lift a crank arm is one of the reasons these things came about. It's the reason people used toe clips and straps before that. And it's the reason flat pedals are less efficient.

    If you've never seen toe clips used on a road bike, the shoe has a plate screwed to the sole which engages with the back of the pedal, foot in tighten strap. Stops you pulling your foot out when making efforts. Early clipless were almost the same, slide your foot into the pedal and flip the lever on the side to keep it there.

  6. #50
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Newbury
    Posts
    8,123
    Like
    2,382
    Liked 1,586 in 1,017 posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: New bike day... the "I'll give it till Weds..." bike

    Yes I’ve used toe clips.

    But they’re there to keep your foot in position- NOT lift anything. Otherwise old skool DH riders would have used them but they used flats..... (and now mostly use SPD’s).

    When I’m being lazy I do lift my road bike over potholes with my SPD’s but that’s not how you should bunny hop either.

    If you *are* pulling up when you sprint or power up a small climb then you are doing it wrong because pushing down on the other pedal instead is *always* more efficient. If you pull up, you’re fighting your stronger leg.

  7. #51
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Newbury
    Posts
    8,123
    Like
    2,382
    Liked 1,586 in 1,017 posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: New bike day... the "I'll give it till Weds..." bike

    https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitnes...ciently-173185

    Google is your friend. Stop pulling up- it’s rubbish!

  8. The following user liked this post made by Crosshair:


  9. #52
    Really Bored joe19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    3,692
    Like
    1,493
    Liked 1,031 in 860 posts

    Default Re: New bike day... the "I'll give it till Weds..." bike

    I think you need to factor in the risk of falling over with clipless. It happens to everyone, and can easily hurt yourself. Plus the hassle at junctions/roundabouts etc. It's a lot of hassle for a minimal 'performance' gain.

    If you are adapted to flats, then for me, quite a lot of things come before clipless*

    Examples:

    Core Strength
    Flexibility
    Diet / Weight Loss
    Event Pacing
    Hydration Strategy





    * Unless:

    You are racing (lots of attacks and short hills)
    Sprinting
    Have knee pain and/or bike fit issues
    Keep hitting your shin etc with the flats


    (When I started road cycling I decided to just to use clipless from the start, so I never adapted to anything else)

  10. #53
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Newbury
    Posts
    8,123
    Like
    2,382
    Liked 1,586 in 1,017 posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: New bike day... the "I'll give it till Weds..." bike

    I guarantee I could produce as much power in a sprint on flats as in my SPD’s

  11. The following user liked this post made by Crosshair:


  12. #54
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Newbury
    Posts
    8,123
    Like
    2,382
    Liked 1,586 in 1,017 posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: New bike day... the "I'll give it till Weds..." bike


  13. #55
    Really Bored joe19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    3,692
    Like
    1,493
    Liked 1,031 in 860 posts

    Default Re: New bike day... the "I'll give it till Weds..." bike

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosshair View Post
    I guarantee I could produce as much power in a sprint on flats as in my SPD’s
    I think I would mentally struggle to commit.

    I already feel like the bike is going to explode (not due to my power!) when I sprint

  14. The following user liked this post made by joe19:


  15. #56
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Newbury
    Posts
    8,123
    Like
    2,382
    Liked 1,586 in 1,017 posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: New bike day... the "I'll give it till Weds..." bike

    3B053D62-2E21-4BBE-9E23-7ABDF0FAFCCF.jpg

    From Brian Lopez and Lee McCormacks MTB skills book.

  16. #57
    Expecting rain saga_lout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Essex, innit
    Posts
    28,180
    Like
    4,277
    Liked 5,080 in 3,393 posts

    Default Re: New bike day... the "I'll give it till Weds..." bike

    I can hit a higher cadence using clipless and having used them for about a year it felt strange when I used flats for a few miles. I don't think I produce more power.

    The argument about more or less power and pulling the pedal up is silly though. The bottom line is: Weeksy doesn't like them so he's not going to use them.

  17. The following user liked this post made by saga_lout:


  18. #58
    Should Get Out More Weeksy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Newbury/Didcot
    Posts
    56,515
    Like
    2,911
    Liked 10,417 in 5,960 posts

    Default Re: New bike day... the "I'll give it till Weds..." bike

    Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    I can hit a higher cadence using clipless and having used them for about a year it felt strange when I used flats for a few miles. I don't think I produce more power.

    The argument about more or less power and pulling the pedal up is silly though. The bottom line is: Weeksy doesn't like them so he's not going to use them.
    doesn't mean it's not interesting though.... but you're 100% correct.

  19. #59
    Should Get Out More Pirahna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,532
    Like
    1,018
    Liked 1,594 in 824 posts

    Default Re: New bike day... the "I'll give it till Weds..." bike

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosshair View Post
    It's another link that proves something I didn't say. It's absolutely right, nobody pedals along pulling up. What I did say is that there are times when you definitely do use the pedal to pull up, I even gave you some examples.

    Never mind.

  20. #60
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Newbury
    Posts
    8,123
    Like
    2,382
    Liked 1,586 in 1,017 posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: New bike day... the "I'll give it till Weds..." bike

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirahna View Post
    LOL

    You're racing up that short, steep incline, or in a sprint for the finish line, or even just an acceleration, you'll definitely be pulling up. Being able to unweight or lift a crank arm is one of the reasons these things came about. It's the reason people used toe clips and straps before that. And it's the reason flat pedals are less efficient.

    If you've never seen toe clips used on a road bike, the shoe has a plate screwed to the sole which engages with the back of the pedal, foot in tighten strap. Stops you pulling your foot out when making efforts. Early clipless were almost the same, slide your foot into the pedal and flip the lever on the side to keep it there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirahna View Post
    It's another link that proves something I didn't say. It's absolutely right, nobody pedals along pulling up. What I did say is that there are times when you definitely do use the pedal to pull up, I even gave you some examples.

    Never mind.
    Pulling up through the cleat is bad form full stop. In the same way as you lift the rear of the bike in a bunny hop by pushing down and back- that’s how you should lift the rear of the bike at any time if that is what you hope to achieve. And why skilled riders or well practiced ones cope perfectly well on flats.

    Unweighting and lifting are totally different things. One good one bad. You should never be lifting the crank to race up a short incline, sprint for the finish line or even for an acceleration. As per the Lee McCormack quote above- you can’t physically lift that crank quicker than the other leg pushes it!! And if you chose to lead with the hip flexors and not the glutes on the opposite side then you’re just asking for an injury.


    Ive used SPD’s since I was 13 but I’m under no illusion about what they are doing for me- they’re keeping my foot correctly placed with the minimal effort. On flats you very often need to weight the pedal just to stop your foot losing contact. Whereas clipless give you the freedom to unweight at any time.

  21. The following user liked this post made by Crosshair:


Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission