TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Insulating a garage with pitched roof.

Liked 1,380 in 657 posts

Default Insulating a garage with pitched roof.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    My garage needs to be converted into an office. Itís a decent sized space with a pitched roof and loft area. I want to insulate and plasterboard it all so when I add hearing itís not costing a fortune to run.

Should I insulate between the eaves on the pitched roof or insulate the ceiling and leave the big above more open to the air? Loft has a hatch so no big gap.

The walls and ceiling will be boarded, and the big double doors skinned internally.

I need to get it done fast, starting contracting and have jobs to do but nowhere to work. It happened much faster than I thought.

Cheers.

Liked 2,696 in 1,611 posts

Default Re: Insulating a garage with pitched roof.

I've insulated up to the eaves (between the rafters) then covered with that multilayer foil stuff, then battens before getting the pb on. Obviously your depth is limited.
    Celotex is way less nasty than rolls of glass fibre and quicker. More expensive though.

3. The following user liked this post made by DefTrap:

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,430 in 876 posts

I'd insulate the ceiling with celotex/kingspan and leave the roof to be well ventilated unless you want to use the space for something.

If buying a decent number I've found insulation boards (Quintherm IIRC) from Jewson are less than half the price of the usual suspects.

Liked 6,065 in 3,805 posts
    Blog Entries

If you insulate the floor, you're reducing the size of area to heat. No brainer.

Liked 915 in 511 posts

If you are not using the roof space for anything apart from Storage insulate the ceiling with something like Eartwool from Knauf or another blanket type insulation between the joists. If you are doing the walls and have the room kingspan or celotex between the battens you can get 25mm boards use foil backed plasterboard if the budget runs to it. Do you have plans for the floor? Ply and battens? If so as Yorick suggests insulate this as well with 25mm celotex and a decent carpet tile. Make sure you have trickle vents on your windows as it will still need air circulation. These can be added to existing UPVC windows

Liked 1,376 in 976 posts

100mm celotex between the ceiling joists, then plasterboard the ceiling with celotex backed plasterboard.

With reference to window trickle vents, they're more hassle than they're worth. Unless the building is air tight, you'll get air circulation and can open the window when you want.

Liked 1,380 in 657 posts

Awesome thanks all. I wasn’t going to do anything with the floor, it’s painted concrete which has been carpeted.

I’ll do the ceiling first then see what I want to do with the walls. Local builder suggest a backed plasterboard that comes with fittings you clout into the breezeblocks, no batterns needed.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission