TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Best direct access courses for full A2 license in Oxfordshire area?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Best direct access courses for full A2 license in Oxfordshire area?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Hello!

I'm looking to get my A2 full license via a direct access course. I live in the Oxfordshire area and have just had a quick Google; for 3-day courses (which is what the company is saying is suitable for my level of experience) it costs around 600! Bloody expensive.

Any recommendations? Does anywhere go cheaper than this?

Context: I have about 3-4 months experience of intense (almost) every day riding, at least an hour a day, sometimes up to 8 hours a day; on automatic, semi-auto and manual bikes from 100cc to 650cc (various mopeds, Honda Grom, Honda CRF150L + CRF250L, Yamaha MT-03, Honda CB500X + CB500F, Honda XR650L Kawasaki Versys 650); on all road surfaces including rush-hour inner-city roads, 70mph motorway speeds and rocky dirt trails. As all of this was abroad, I've never completed my CBT.

What would you recommend? I want to get my license ASAP.

Thanks!

Liked 5,972 in 3,756 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Best direct access courses for full A2 license in Oxfordshire area?

There is a good place in Oxford near the Mini plant. Our lass did her CBT there and I was impressed with them

Liked 3,358 in 2,213 posts

Quote Originally Posted by daneknewbie View Post
    Bloody expensive.
    Unfortunately, you're paying for a member of staff, site costs, bike hire, insurance . . .

Perhaps book an assessment to review with them how much training you actually need (including the party tricks of Mod 1 and not-upsetting-the-examiner on Mod2).

As all of this was abroad, I've never completed my CBT.
    Does that country have a licence-swap arrangement with the UK?

4. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Horse:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 909 in 528 posts

Hello!

I'm looking to get my A2 full license via a direct access course. I live in the Oxfordshire area and have just had a quick Google; for 3-day courses (which is what the company is saying is suitable for my level of experience) it costs around 600! Bloody expensive.
    How much have you spent on riding kit? What did your lid cost? How much will you be spending when will you need to replace them?

Decent riding skills learned on a training course last for ever.

And in addition to the costs Horse mentions, the instructor has to eat too.

Price isn't the issue - it's getting good training from trainers who aren't working seven days a week or trying to run two courses in a day (yes, that's how some of the schools cut costs) and using a machine that's in tip-top conditions despite the people using it.

Context: I have about 3-4 months experience of intense (almost) every day riding...I've never completed my CBT.
    So you'll have a shed-load of bad habits to be trained out of, and the trainer will have to spend a day getting you up to CBT standard on top of that. And you will have to spend time waiting for, then taking the test... all out of three days? Sounds like they are super-optimistic to me.

If it was me back at the old school, I'd probably have recommended a four day course.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but I had twelve years of dealing with novice riders who tried to cut corners, including plenty who had 'loads of experience' which must have been watching MotoGP rather than anywhere near a bike.

6. The following 2 users liked this useful post by The Spin Doctor:

Does anywhere go cheaper than this?
    Do you need to edit the thread title?

I have about 3-4 months experience of intense (almost) every day riding, at least an hour a day, sometimes up to 8 hours a day; on automatic, semi-auto and manual bikes from 100cc to 650cc (various mopeds, Honda Grom, Honda CRF150L + CRF250L, Yamaha MT-03, Honda CB500X + CB500F, Honda XR650L Kawasaki Versys 650); on all road surfaces including rush-hour inner-city roads, 70mph motorway speeds and rocky dirt trails.
    What training did you have?

Liked 3,835 in 1,937 posts

Hello!

Context: I have about 3-4 months experience of intense (almost) every day riding, at least an hour a day, sometimes up to 8 hours a day; on automatic, semi-auto and manual bikes from 100cc to 650cc (various mopeds, Honda Grom, Honda CRF150L + CRF250L, Yamaha MT-03, Honda CB500X + CB500F, Honda XR650L Kawasaki Versys 650); on all road surfaces including rush-hour inner-city roads, 70mph motorway speeds and rocky dirt trails. As all of this was abroad, I've never completed my CBT.

What would you recommend? I want to get my license ASAP.

Thanks!
    As others with shit loads more experience than me have said the prices you are looking at are pretty much the same everywhere and 600 for CBT, Mod 1 training and Mod 2 training are not expensive. Add in the test fees that the DVSA charge for the Theory, Mod 1 and Mod 2 tests assuming you pass first time on everything

You also mentioned direct access and A2 license ... these are not the same

Direct access to a full license is aged 24 and above on basically a 600cc

A2 License is aged 19 and above on a limited power output bike which is about a low power 400-500 cc and i am generalising here as i know there are a 100 bikes that "can" apply with a restriction kit fitted .

You will also need a CBT and a theory test as well for both of the license routes which are valid for 2 years and you wont get your theory in a 3 day period unless you are lucky or hit a cancellation

A full "start from scratch" CBT is pretty much a full day as you will have shit loads of bad habits like covering brakes, wrong brakes for slow speed. riding habits etc etc etc, Mod 1 is a short 10 minute test but probably a minimum of 4 hours transfer from a 125 to "big bike" and learning the full points of the cones test before you sit it and thats for quick learners. Add in the same for Mod 2 training on the open roads and then your test as well and 3 days is cutting it fine and fairly intensive IMO.

I took a young lad today to Mod 2 test who passed and 1 hour later was riding his recently bought restricted ZXR400 that had been sat waiting for him to inure once he passed. He insured it while we waited for the second lad to complete his Mod 2 test who also passed. They both did CBT, Pre Mod 1 training to convert to bigger bikes, Mod 1 training, Mod 1 test, Mod 2 Training and Mod 2 test .... thats more than 600 but riding with them wasnt scary at all as they knew what they were doing as they both spent time training properly to help them pass first time.Out of 4 we took to test today 3 passed but the 4th we had doubts about as "i've ridden loads of bikes and know what i am doing" so failed on an accumulation of minor faults riding too close to vehicles in front and no lifesavers before right hand turns

Spin and Horse have waaaaay more experience and knowledge of training than me but i am currently dealing with the novice riders at CBT, Mod 1 and Mod 2 level and 3 days to complete all this is optimistic to a safe and consistent standard IMHO

**waits to be shot down on something i missed or got wrong**
    Last edited by Bigyin; 13-09-19 at 23:21.

9. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Bigyin:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 909 in 528 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    3 days to complete all this is optimistic to a safe and consistent standard IMHO

**waits to be shot down on something i missed or got wrong**
    Absolutely agree with everything you've written!

The moment I hear "loads of experience" alarm bells ring.

Off-topic a bit, it still happens at advanced level. I often get calls from 'returning riders' who just want a bit of help to get used to a new machine. Sometimes, they genuinely do have a lot of experience and they're just struggling a bit with one aspect of the bike - riding position, or clutch too far away - that's a favourite. But a few years back I got a call from a guy who wanted a refresher for his brand-new ST1300 "I've ridden plenty of bikes including Pans in the past so just a bit of work needed to get me up to speed on the new bike".

Well, first we had to delay the course because he dropped it five minutes after it was delivered, turning it round in the garage, breaking the mirror and a lever.

And then just before the rearranged date, he said that he couldn't ride it up his "steep, gravelled drive" to the road, so he hadn't been out on it yet - could I ride it to the end for him?

So I rode it out of his drive, and just ran him through the basics - where the brakes are, what the clutch does etc... and got him to move it forward a metre at a time, just like you would on CBT basically, just to check he could handle it...

Oh boy. If he'd ridden anything bigger than a 125 in his past, I'd be gobsmacked. He was shaking like a leaf too - a bit of discussion revealed that he'd been out with another training school a month or so earlier on a ERS course and had written off one of their DAS bikes, turning right onto a dual carriageway - he'd gassed it too hard and crashed into the armco on the far side. They'd sent him out with a trainer taking a single candidate to test, so the trainer was more interested in getting his learner through - hence the awkward manoeuvre.

So all my careful plans to ride to a car park and work on getting him balanced on it went out the window. I could see he'd never cope with town traffic. I rode it to the main road, turned left and parked it, then walked back to get my bike. We rode 20 miles down an A road, turned left at a roundabout, 20 miles along another A road to the next roundabout where we turned left, and 20 miles back to near our start point. As soon as we hit town, I stopped, put him on the back, rode his bike home and got a lift back to mine. I think we might have hit 35 at one point. We kept having to pull over to let HGVs past. He was absolutely terrified.

He'd been sold the ST as a 'good commuter' because he had a 100 mile round trip to work and back. Ridiculous - the salesman saw him coming. What on earth the trainee was thinking, I have no idea. I genuinely recommended he get rid of the ST and get a Deauville for his commute, or put the ST at the back of the garage and get a cheap 500 twin to get some riding time in first.

I never heard back from him.

11. The following user liked this post made by The Spin Doctor:

Ooh good, we're onto war stories

Had a guy book a born again course. He'd given up biking when kids came along, but 15+ years later had been made redundant and spent some of it on a rootin' tootin' Kwak sports bike, 900 or litre, can't remember exactly.

The nearest equivalent we could borrow from the shop was a K1100RS. We did all the off road stuff, then went on road. I wonder if he was using the high idle lever ('choke') instead of throttle. When we stopped after a few miles, I asked what he thought of the bike?

"Not very quick, is it?"

Okay . . .

Never heard from him again. I often wondered whether he got the Kwak and persevered.

13. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Horse:

Liked 5,972 in 3,756 posts
    Blog Entries

Oooh. Can i play ?

I had 2 advanced police training riders at Donington many years ago. They asked for a session of tuition so I always have a little chat first. They were way up their own arses, almost arguing with what I said. They were shit on track. Too rigid and slow.

They argued again after and said I was holding them up.

Next session I set off behind them on purpose, and lapped them in 4 laps
    Last edited by Yorick; 15-09-19 at 18:10.

15. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Yorick:

Liked 3,835 in 1,937 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    Absolutely agree with everything you've written!
    Thank god for that, the learning is apparently starting to sink in

17. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Bigyin:

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission