TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50cc 2 stroke clutch problem

A Bit Bored
    Liked 21 in 11 posts

Default Re: 50cc 2 stroke clutch problem

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I'm slowly losing the will to live with this clutch problem! Took the plates off, cleaned them up, soaked them in new oil and re-assembled. The steels were all nice and shiny with no discolouration or warping. The friction plates seem to be okay but not sure how thick the fibre pads should be on them. Some of the edges on the outer teeth on the friction plates are a bit 'shiny' where I guess they have worn a bit. The pressure plate seems much more free and moves forward easily enough but not a massive amount (not sure how much it should lift off). I left the clutch cover off so we could see what was happening and the bike still won't roll forward in gear with the clutch lever pulled. (Obviously rolls easily enough in neutral). Have heard that sometimes the ball bearing gets crushed but that was all intact. There is some wear mid-way along the push-rod but not sure how significant that is. The bike is only 20 months old and has done 3500km so wouldn't think I would need a new clutch but I'm definitely no expert. I'm willing to try a new clutch cable and new plates if you guys think that could be the problem.

Liked 138 in 86 posts
    Blog Entries

Acorn, PM sent.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 21 in 11 posts

When I posted my very first message on the forum I encountered a lot of negative comments, but amongst them were some encouraging ones telling me that there are forum members who would happily help if they could. Well - it's true. One such member 'sadlonelygit' literally went out of his way to help and I can't thank him enough. The bike is up and running now and I have a very happy teenage son who has spent all afternoon riding in the rain!. My faith in humanity has been restored!

4. The following 6 users liked this useful post by Acorn:

Liked 3,416 in 1,737 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    When I posted my very first message on the forum I encountered a lot of negative comments, but amongst them were some encouraging ones telling me that there are forum members who would happily help if they could. Well - it's true. One such member 'sadlonelygit' literally went out of his way to help and I can't thank him enough. The bike is up and running now and I have a very happy teenage son who has spent all afternoon riding in the rain!. My faith in humanity has been restored!

There really are amazing people on this forum. Even some of the grumpy old bastards are amazing people really, once you get past the negativity!!

Glad its sorted now and so glad your son has been able to go out riding! I'm still grinning like a loon from riding a bike for the first time in over a year!!

6. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Noggin:

Liked 2,365 in 1,217 posts

What was the problem then? My guess is just clutch adjustment. It's normal for plates to appear to stick together when the pressure plate lifts because there is a film of oil between them. When the engine is running they should free off just fine.

Liked 138 in 86 posts
    Blog Entries

Clutch had a pushrod adjuster on the inner basket. Young man had used up all the freeplay adjustments on the cable so it felt like the clutch was working, but sadly not enough happening within the clutch.
    Lovely to meet Acorn and hubby and be of some assistance.
    The merlot was lovely btw

9. The following 4 users liked this useful post by sadlonelygit:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission