TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Extra Terrestrial Life

Liked 3,415 in 2,249 posts

Default Re: Extra Terrestrial Life

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ink ink View Post
    We don’t want them coming here and plundering Earth’s resources. The superior potassium in Kazakhstan is just one worrying example.
    Never mind resources yada yada ...

... Will they want a Brexit vote?

Liked 3,415 in 2,249 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    Name one.
    And if he did, you couldn't say whether he's right or wrong

Really Bored
    Liked 1,665 in 930 posts

Default Extra Terrestrial Life

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dazzle View Post
    Water is really common in space though....like really really common. Free open bodies of liquid water are rare (aka "Oceans"), but water is fucking everywhere.

I don't subscribe to the dark forest theory cause I find it hard to believe that anything you can find on Earth can't be found elsewhere much less gaurded.

I don't even mean guarded by weapons, even being on a bigish planet in the inner solar system is excellent defense when the same stuff can be obtained in a much shallower gravity well out beyond Neptune.
    I was using it as an example. Who knows, it may well be more efficient to come here than melt frozen water....which most water is throughout the universe. What we know so far, lots of liquid water is fucking rare.

As Hawkins wisely said, mankind should go out of his way to avoid any other forms of life.

Liked 3,935 in 2,651 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Never mind resources yada yada ...

... Will they want a Brexit vote?
    Next it’s Univexit!

5. The following user liked this post made by ink ink:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rudolph View Post
    Depends... perhaps their super advanced propulsion systems needs water.... and they harvest planets like we drill for oil....

Or they come here and bring the equivalent of what measles was to the new world....
    The Grimsby Scrobs don’t even know the taste of water!

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Biarritz (summer)
    Liked 1,487 in 877 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K2-18b

Evidence of water vapour on another planet could mean extra terrestrial life exists
    Isn't that under the assumption that life needs water?

Is it not viable that beings from another planet don't conform to the 'rules of mother nature' ?

Personally I do think 'Aliens' are a real thing. There's too much space, too many planets for ours to be the only one that supports life.

As to whether other planet/s support/s life at the same time as ours, that I'd need to be convinced of.

8. The following user liked this post made by Jody:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,414 in 1,465 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rudolph View Post
    I was using it as an example. Who knows, it may well be more efficient to come here than melt frozen water....which most water is throughout the universe. What we know so far, lots of liquid water is fucking rare.

As Hawkins wisely said, mankind should go out of his way to avoid any other forms of life.
    I know that its just a single example, I just dont think it "adds up". You reckon it's easier to travel between stars than to melt some ice for example?

I guess it's cause I think there's nothing intrinsically un-copyable about stuff on earth. If you can travel light years you can certainly knock a few elements about to make what you need etc. We can do that here already, on a very very small scale.

I think its more likely that alien life will be so different to us that we'd not have any physical stuff they'd want and vice versa.

Disease is another one I find hard to take seriously. It's pretty hard to catch a disease from a chimp. Have you ever caught a cold from a fish? Or from a lettuce?

Blog Entries

They’ll want butt sex with monkey fish-frogs.

It was in a film.

Really Bored
    Liked 1,665 in 930 posts

Default Extra Terrestrial Life

I know that its just a single example, I just dont think it "adds up". You reckon it's easier to travel between stars than to melt some ice for example?

I guess it's cause I think there's nothing intrinsically un-copyable about stuff on earth. If you can travel light years you can certainly knock a few elements about to make what you need etc. We can do that here already, on a very very small scale.

I think its more likely that alien life will be so different to us that we'd not have any physical stuff they'd want and vice versa.

Disease is another one I find hard to take seriously. It's pretty hard to catch a disease from a chimp. Have you ever caught a cold from a fish? Or from a lettuce?
    No but then swine flu wasn’t great... nor is HIV one came from a pig the other from a monkey, Ebolas natural host is likely to be animal in origin as well. Cross species contamination can and does take place....

There’s nothing to say alien virus or bacteria wouldn’t decimate us. The very reason NASA take it all very seriously when people have been in space etc.

A quick google suggests melting ice is energy hungry - so yes it might well be easier to visit a warm planet and steal it’s liquid water. Rather than try melting it on some frozen wasteland planet on the edges of a solar system.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,414 in 1,465 posts
    Blog Entries

By way of an example.. it takes just over 330,000J of energy to turn a kg of ice into water. Weirdly it doesn't change temperature in absorbing that energy...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enth...on?wprov=sfla1

It takes about 3 million joules to get that same kilo into earth orbit. Then millions more to get it out of solar orbit. Thats before you add in the ship you need to take up and down.

That's why I said it's all so well gaurded!

Edit. Dropped a zero, its actually 30 million joules

Really Bored
    Liked 1,665 in 930 posts

By way of an example.. it takes just over 330,000J of energy to turn a kg of ice into water. Weirdly it doesn't change temperature in absorbing that energy...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enth...on?wprov=sfla1

It takes about 3 million joules to get that same kilo into earth orbit. Then millions more to get it out of solar prbit.

That's why I said it's all so well gaurded!
    Bbbbbbuuut - on a cold planet, as fast as you are melting it, it’s freezing again.

What is lighter to carry about with you, a bfo hose pipe or industrial mining and thawing system?

They may also have solved the gravity thing in their advanced propulsion systems. It seems quite a few respected scientists think contact would be bad for mankind. If we take our own example, an advance civilisation meeting a less advanced rarely goes well for the lesser advanced.

Liked 5,082 in 3,394 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    Isn't that under the assumption that life needs water?

Is it not viable that beings from another planet don't conform to the 'rules of mother nature' ?

Personally I do think 'Aliens' are a real thing. There's too much space, too many planets for ours to be the only one that supports life.
    If we accept that hypothesis, then this one...

As to whether other planet/s support/s life at the same time as ours, that I'd need to be convinced of.
    ...fails.

There are so many stars with planets capable of sustaining life that if there are too many for ours to be the only one sustaining life, there are also too many that some of them aren't sustaining life simultaneously.

Either we're alone or there is a vast number of planets with life. Of course that vast number is minuscule compared with the number of stars and the size of the universe so if there is alien life out there we're very unlikely to meet it.

15. The following user liked this post made by saga_lout:

Should Get Out More The Martian's Avatar
    Liked 3,659 in 2,110 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ink ink View Post
    They’ll want butt sex with monkey fish-frogs.

It was in a film.
    One of your home movies?

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Biarritz (summer)
    Liked 1,487 in 877 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    That's twice this year you've been funny
    Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    If we accept that hypothesis, then this one...

...fails.

There are so many stars with planets capable of sustaining life that if there are too many for ours to be the only one sustaining life, there are also too many that some of them aren't sustaining life simultaneously.

Either we're alone or there is a vast number of planets with life. Of course that vast number is minuscule compared with the number of stars and the size of the universe so if there is alien life out there we're very unlikely to meet it.
    Fair. Until we know how many planets there are and how long they'v been around for......

Really Bored
    Liked 1,665 in 930 posts

Fair. Until we know how many planets there are and how long they'v been around for......
    Or indeed how long life lasts...

Earths life has come close to total extinction more than once.

“Intelligent” life, like us, may not last long.... going on our own record, we could well have bred ourselves to extinction in a few tens of thousands of years. We are certainly on a path for it...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission