TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mk7 Transit rear brake pads

Liked 3,295 in 1,661 posts

Default Re: Mk7 Transit rear brake pads

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
    Apparently with the newer ones in the US it somehow involves having to pull the entire frigging axle. Altho that may be swapping out the rotors.
    Luckily mines OLD!! And if I can end up with Transit minibuses, they will be looked after by the garage!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Axle stands if you can.

You need the handbrake off to do the rears, the video suggests you put bricks behind the wheels as chocks, which is good advice too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneerly Down View Post
    If you are borrowing a trolley jack, borrow axle stand(s) as well.
    At the very least, place the wheel you take off (and spare wheel) under the sill.
    I wouldn't ever want to get under a vehicle that isn't properly supported by axle stands.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    As well as the above, you might need a wire brush/scraper/hammer to get the rust out from the mounting slots. If you don't the anti rattle clips can be difficult to refit, and if you don't refit them the brakes will rattle alarmingly. I usually use a pin scaler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneerly Down View Post
    I find needle files good for that...sometimes need to also take paint off the 'tabs' on cheaper brands but now generally insist on Ferodo or (genuine!) Brembo...Pagid seem pretty decent most of the time also.
    Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post
    Cheaper good stuff is pagid or mintex.

Typically I wire brush the hell out of the calipers and use copper grease on the caliper slots and on the pad backs.

Ok -

Trolley jack - can borrow
    Axle Stands - not sure
    Wire brush/scraper/hammer - ummm, have a very small hammer - can't weild it as a lefty and probably not with the duff arm
    Pin scaler - Huh??
    Needle files - ??
    Copper Grease - Woohoooo!! LOL

Looking at this and the lack of strength/abillity in the dominant arm I messaged a mechanic a friend used last month. Now going to resend in French after he replied and hopefully he can do my van brakes and also my mates exhaust and Cat on her Audi S3!! LOL

Thanx for all the info. I have a flat area undercover to work in (underground car park!) but TBH, the more I've read about the things I need and the video - there isn't a hope in hell I can achieve this and no point starting if I end up not being able to use the van!! The Front brakes I am pretty sure I could have done, Bt the rear seems less simple?

Oh well - nice Idea!!

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,425 in 874 posts

The only tricky thing really is winding in the pistons, and with and even that is easy enough with, say:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22PCS-Uni...t/264388326411

but it's a wise person who doesn't start a job when they know there's a 'good' chance they might not be able to finish.

3. The following user liked this post made by Kneerly Down:

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,800 in 3,008 posts

I prefer to use the cube when rewinding brakes and muscle them in;

But then that's because I can muscle them in and didn't get on with the proper 'universal' rewind tools

5. The following 2 users liked this useful post by mrlongbeard:

Liked 2,689 in 1,604 posts

I used one of these

It got stuck (wouldn't wind out) on the caliper fist time I had to use it and I had to angle grind it off.

I intended to try and weld it up but TBH I've used it on subsequent jobs with just the end bit which slots into my 1/2" ratchet and it works ok. You can probably wind pistons in with an angle grinder spanner if it's not too sticky.

Totally agree about using axle stands - even WITH them it still gives me the windys for 10 minutes if I have to crawl under until I pull myself together and get on with it. I helped my neighbour do his pads and he had his car jacked on just the shitty boot scissor jack - fook that, I had one pop on me before, never again. Trolley jack and stands every time.

Liked 2,689 in 1,604 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
    Trolley jack
    Axle Stands
    Wire brush
    hammer
    Copper Grease
    Plus
    Silicon grease for any slide pins (as copper won't really do)
    Lever (big old screwdriver) - to lever off the caliper
    Socket set / allen keys (not too sure about the specifics you need for the van)

Big glass of beer for after

Like KD said - just be aware that a pad job can easily turn into a caliper rebuild job, caliper replacement, disc replacement etc so it might be worth having a really really good look first before diving in.

Liked 3,295 in 1,661 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post
    Plus
    Silicon grease for any slide pins (as copper won't really do)
    Lever (big old screwdriver) - to lever off the caliper
    Socket set / allen keys (not too sure about the specifics you need for the van)

Big glass of beer for after

Like KD said - just be aware that a pad job can easily turn into a caliper rebuild job, caliper replacement, disc replacement etc so it might be worth having a really really good look first before diving in.

I've those bits. But no windy thing and almost certainly a lack of ability. Half use and no strength in the right arm is likely to be a massive issue for this job, so I'll just have to get someone else to do it. Hey ho

Really Bored
    Liked 776 in 567 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
    I've those bits. But no windy thing and almost certainly a lack of ability. Half use and no strength in the right arm is likely to be a massive issue for this job, so I'll just have to get someone else to do it. Hey ho
    And there is a good chance the wheel nuts will be f tight.....you are in the wrong set of mountains, or I would have volunteered.

10. The following user liked this post made by davidat19:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,178 in 2,395 posts
    Blog Entries

Also IIRC one piston has a RH thread, the other a LH thread, can't remember which side is which.

12. The following user liked this post made by cheb:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission