TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What takes precedence, respecting someone's beliefs or LGBT sensitivities?

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,592 in 2,181 posts

Default What takes precedence, respecting someone's beliefs or LGBT sensitivities?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ngham-49755250

So should someone's belief that homosexuality is a sin mean that their children should be excused lessons that teach that same sex relationships are good?

Liked 4,083 in 2,019 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What takes precedence, respecting someone's beliefs or LGBT sensitivities?

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post

So should someone's belief that homosexuality is a sin mean that their children should be excused lessons that teach that same sex relationships are good?

No.

3. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Yambo:

Liked 3,409 in 2,245 posts

Default Re: What takes precedence, respecting someone's beliefs or LGBT sensitivities?

lessons that teach that same sex relationships are good?
    Is that what they actually teach?

Another question, is it 'good' to protest outside of schools? What lesson does that give all the kids?

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,592 in 2,181 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Is that what they actually teach?

Another question, is it 'good' to protest outside of schools? What lesson does that give all the kids?
    I have no problem with parents of pupils of that school protesting outside a school, assuming they've been through the writing letters stage, how else are they going to make they're opinions known, perhaps you'd prefer a country where people aren't allowed to protest, or perhaps they should only be allowed to protest if their opinion is in line with what's currently fashionable.

And I've no idea what they actually teach in a relationships lesson, but I doubt if they say same sex relationships are a bad thing.

Liked 10,061 in 5,253 posts

I understand the protests as its against their religious beliefs, but, fact is, kids are going to come across same sex parents as they go out into the world, they may even have classmates who have same sex parents. So whats the point in trying to hide it. They'd be better to let their kids be introduced to it by way of text books, then put their backward, out of date spin on life on it.

7. The following 7 users liked this useful post by Taipan:

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 4,666 in 2,321 posts

All I know is, the BBC is in a spin on how to report this one. Their 'right-on radar' must be close to exploding.

9. The following 4 users liked this useful post by gremlin:

Liked 5,525 in 2,970 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    All I know is, the BBC is in a spin on how to report this one. Their 'right-on radar' must be close to exploding.
    I hate the BBC's 'right on' radar, fucking boils my piss.

I'm so pleased my kids have finished the school system. All the attention seems to be on shite like this instead of getting the basic essentials sorted. Its apparently more important to learn about same sex relationships than it is to wire a plug, understand a payslip or put a shelf up. Grrrrr

11. The following 2 users liked this useful post by GiantPygmy:

Liked 2,817 in 1,998 posts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ngham-49755250

No.

Quote Originally Posted by from the link
    Most of the protesters have been of Muslim faith and many of those the BBC has spoken to have insisted they believe homosexuality to be a sin.
    Religious beliefs do not under any circumstances override the fact that homosexual relationships are lawful.

To say otherwise would mean that religious law would have primacy over secular law. Which is of course exactly what Islam teaches.

Liked 2,624 in 1,427 posts

I think in the particular case of what is taking place in Birmingham reality takes precedence over religious beliefs.

Liked 286 in 194 posts

i think education should be about teaching kids what happens in the world

15. The following 2 users liked this useful post by jane:

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Liked 1,641 in 982 posts

Fairly surprised the religious fundies even send their kids to school anyway.
    Thought home schooling was their way to ensure another generation of social cripples.

Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by demographic View Post
    Thought home schooling was their way to ensure another generation of social cripples.

Meh.
    I think the stalwart protesters may not be the parents of the students that actually attend those schools.

18. The following user liked this post made by murcan:

Liked 2,817 in 1,998 posts

Quote Originally Posted by demographic View Post

Meh.
    There is a Bill progressing through Parliament which will ensure that home educated children will be within the educational jurisdiction of Local Authorities. And not before time (imo).

https://services.parliament.uk/bills...thorities.html

A Bill to make provision for local authorities to monitor the educational, physical and emotional development of children receiving elective home education, and for connected purposes

Liked 3,934 in 2,651 posts
    Blog Entries

I can see problems with schools working against Moslem parents bringing their children up as Moslems.

Quote Originally Posted by ink ink View Post
    I can see problems with schools working against Moslem parents bringing their children up as Moslems.
    The realities of Western Society work against religious fundamentalists of all stripes. Not just Muslims.

I can tell you that I don't want my tax dollars promoting religion of any strain. Comparative religion and history of religion, sure. But the actual history, not scripture as history.

A couple of thousand years from now, when Manhattan is revealed by the receding waters, the truth of it's existence will not validate the existence of Spiderman.

22. The following user liked this post made by murcan:

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission