TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Kohler 141T engined rotovator

Liked 3,489 in 1,814 posts

Default Kohler 141T engined rotovator

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I've been asked to look at the father in law's rotovator. It used to run, now it doesn't.

It does have compression
    It doesn't have spark

so I thought I'd start with the obvious. There's an on/off switch on the bars. one wire goes to earth, the other goes to a union with a wire from the points, one from the condenser and one from behind the flywheel (where there's a Hall effect? generator). Doing a continuity test between that union and the frame of the rotovator gives me continuity no matter what position the switch is in.

So I'm thinking that somewhere I have a short in the ground wire and it's not sparking because the coil etc are constantly earthed. Would that be right?

Liked 1,472 in 1,040 posts

Default Re: Kohler 141T engined rotovator

Quote Originally Posted by balbas View Post
    I've been asked to look at the father in law's rotovator. It used to run, now it doesn't.

It does have compression
    It doesn't have spark

so I thought I'd start with the obvious. There's an on/off switch on the bars. one wire goes to earth, the other goes to a union with a wire from the points, one from the condenser and one from behind the flywheel (where there's a Hall effect? generator). Doing a continuity test between that union and the frame of the rotovator gives me continuity no matter what position the switch is in.

So I'm thinking that somewhere I have a short in the ground wire and it's not sparking because the coil etc are constantly earthed. Would that be right?
    There's a union involved, there's bound to be trouble.

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Liked 1,699 in 1,019 posts

Quote Originally Posted by balbas View Post

It does have compression
    It doesn't have spark

Dunno about that particular killswitch setup but most motocrossers killswitches shouldnt have continuity with the frame unless the button is depressed so yeah it seems yer on the right track.
    some twostroke roadbikes worked the same and the ignition switch in the off position just earthed the ignition.
    Me and a mate found that out one time when we had the connectors disconected in his GP100 headlight and the bike would start without the key even in the ignition. Think KMXs were the same.
    Not exactly a security feature...

4. The following user liked this post made by demographic:

Liked 3,489 in 1,814 posts

Right, it looks like they actually want me to fix this thing. Has anyone got a wiring diagram for a simple single cylinder petrol engine kicking around? I'm going to have to try to work out where the fault lies.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 5,018 in 3,140 posts

7. The following user liked this post made by mrlongbeard:

At Work
    Liked 514 in 293 posts

Run the wire from the points/condensor directly to the ignition coil and make sure the coil has a direct earth and see if it sparks ?

9. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Eclipse:

Liked 6,479 in 4,036 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by demographic View Post
    Me and a mate found that out one time when we had the connectors disconected in his GP100 headlight and the bike would start without the key even in the ignition. Think KMXs were the same.
    Not exactly a security feature...
    Lots of Yamaha RDs were the same.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission