TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outlast base layers

Not Much To Do
    Liked 61 in 39 posts

Default Outlast base layers

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Who makes Outlast base layers these days?

I know the Rukka Kim shirt is outstanding, but itís also not cheap. Who makes anything similar (but cheaper)?

Really Bored
    Liked 395 in 262 posts

Default Re: Outlast base layers

Not quite an answer to your question, but the cheaper Rukka outlast base layer is good, IMO. I bought a second one in preparation for a recent trip to the Dolomites. It worked well - useful for compensating for having bought an insufficiently warm sleeping bag, too...

Liked 4,024 in 2,012 posts

Halvarssons do them as well....... i personally would go for outdoor training kit instead of purpose bike kit as it attracts a premium price point

Liked 3,498 in 2,316 posts

Is there a particular benefit to having the Outlast (this is the phase-change wax stuff?) base layer over actually adding heat e.g. by an electrically heated waistcoat?

Presumably if it's only 'storing' heat, then eventually that will run out and, from that point, you'll just get colder?

Not Much To Do
    Liked 61 in 39 posts

Outlast is the phase-change stuff: it keeps you warmer in cool weather, but cooler in warm weather. Unlike most marketing claims, Iíve found that Outlast works.

While it wonít be as warm as electrically heated kit, I find Outlast keeps me more comfortable over a wider range of temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    Halvarssons do them as well
    Does anyone know what Halvarssonsí sizing is like?

Liked 376 in 218 posts

IME Pretty normal but whatever you do, if you need a short leg make sure you don't buy 'D' size trousers, they are special huge waist short leg for pot bellied dwarfs .

+1 on outlast, always found my Halvarssons kit warm when its cold in the morning without without sweating cobs on my way home mid afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
    cooler in warm weather.
    Hadn't thought of that. Can you stick it in the fridge on really hot days?

Not Much To Do
    Liked 61 in 39 posts

I once stuck my Outlast shirt in the fridge. You should have seen my face light up when I opened it

9. The following user liked this post made by Zebedee:

Not Much To Do
    Liked 61 in 39 posts

I know you've all been waiting in suspense: what did the OP decide? Thanks to the miracle or internet shopping and returns, I can now reveal whatís underneath my clothing. Iíve laid everything bare.

No expense was spared in testing these base layers, so hereís the review you'll been waiting for.

Rukka Kim review: This is autumn and winter loveliness It's twice as expensive as the others, but more than twice as nice. Thereís more Outlast in the Kim than in Mr Outlastís costume for National Outlast Day. It's also a versatile little number: the Kim works well as a mid-layer or a base layer. Itís not cheap, but isnít that Christmas lists are for?

Rukka Outlast shirt: Not as warm as the Rukka Kim, but the Rukka Outlast shirt feels lovely on. It's the cashmere shirt of motorcycle base layers The shirt's quite thin, but would work equally well in summer. Itís half the price of the Rukka Kim too.

Halvarssons Polo Wool shirt review: This doesn't feel like it's got as much Outlast as the Rukka tops, perhaps because it's mixed with merino wool. Only some of the Polo range have Outlast, so buy carefully. Based on extensive testing (an hourís ride) my Outlast version works well. It doesnít fee lovely to wear like the Rukka, and itís too warm for summer, but the Halvarssons shirt was still comfy in cool weather The winning feature is the thumb loop. At first I thought this was a gimmick, or merely a way to stop my sleeve being pulled up. What it actually does is keep my sleeve snug enough to stop draughts and retain warm air.

So, I've bought the Halvarssons Outlast polo and written to Santa about the Rukka Kim. I hear Santa knows a thing or two about Scandinavian base layers

11. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Zebedee:

Really Bored
    Liked 395 in 262 posts

FWIW my Halvarssons Prime jacket has an outlast liner, which is moderately thick. That works well in a temperature range of about 12-22 C, without any other layer than a shirt. For lower temperatures I'll add a fleece or, if need be, an electric vest. For higher temperatures it'll be the Rukka Outlast vest instead of the lining. The thing I like about Outlast is it extends the range of temperatures you can ride in without having to faff about with adding/reducing layers.

That's why I particularly liked my one-piece suit & EXO2 heated waistcoat - I could wear ordinary gear underneath, so within a couple of minutes could appear, butterfly from chrysalis, like a relatively normal person. With flat hair.

Definitions of normal may vary.

14. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 23 in 10 posts

Does Outlast help in the summer? I have some old phase change garments from BMW made with Schoeller something or other. I have to admit it never occurred to me to wear them in summer heat.

Quote Originally Posted by nick h. View Post
    Does Outlast help in the summer? I have some old phase change garments from BMW made with Schoeller something or other. I have to admit it never occurred to me to wear them in summer heat.
    See earlier posts.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 61 in 39 posts

Iíve not tried BMW phase change base layers, but they look too thick to wear in warm weather. However, how about a thin Outlast base layer (i.e. the Rukka Outlast shirt)?

Really Bored
    Liked 395 in 262 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
    I’ve not tried BMW phase change base layers, but they look too thick to wear in warm weather. However, how about a thin Outlast base layer (i.e. the Rukka Outlast shirt)?
    See earlier posts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission