TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Talk to me about CE PPE

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 2,947 in 1,996 posts

Default Re: Talk to me about CE PPE

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Uh-oh, CJ's just outed himself as a pro-nationalisation Labour supporting Corbynista fan!

No I'm not, but not all the ideas of left wing politicians are completely daft. I try not to throw babies out with bathwater.

Liked 3,409 in 2,245 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post

No I'm not, but not all the ideas of left wing politicians are completely daft. I try not to throw babies out with bathwater.
    Indeed. Like the way the Tories have spent a few years taking cuttings, grafting, etc. and are now collecting and spending the harvest from their new orchard of money trees

Liked 309 in 155 posts

I had hoped that the BSI, back in the day before the EU trumped that, might have had an influence.
    If you think that, you've never been a member of a BSI committee as I have. Packed with industry "representatives" whose only interest was in watering down regulations to suit themselves.

Really Bored
    Liked 395 in 262 posts

Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    If you think that, you've never been a member of a BSI committee as I have. Packed with industry "representatives" whose only interest was in watering down regulations to suit themselves.
    What were that committee's terms of reference? ISTM the way the process ought to work is that legislators make the decision, after receiving representations from interests on both sides: manufacturers, on one hand, and representatives of the consumer on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Scootabout View Post
    What were that committee's terms of reference? ISTM the way the process ought to work is that legislators make the decision, after receiving representations from interests on both sides: manufacturers, on one hand, and representatives of the consumer on the other.
    That is the way it should work. Manufacturers have a very valid interest, and considerable expertise that it would be foolish to ignore. The problem is that they have a very different objective, to make loads of money. Consumer groups have a laudable objective (safety) but often a lack of expertise on the technical stuff. The (original) idea of the BSI was to bring the two sides together and produce a balanced standard, that delivered most of what consumer groups wanted, without demanding the technically impossible or bankrupting the industry.

Liked 309 in 155 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scootabout View Post
    The committee I sat on consisted almost entirely of industry representatives (actually, in theory no-one "represents" anyone else) and supposedly independent experts who were all highly paid consultants effectively working for industry. I was there as part of my work in the NHS (by which I was employed) trying to put the view of the clinicians, managers and patients. A task in which I failed abysmally as a lone voice. Ironically it was somewhat better at the CEN level where the "consumer" voice was a bit stronger but this again was dominated by companies with deep pockets and huge vested interests.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 947 in 555 posts

That is the way it should work. Manufacturers have a very valid interest, and considerable expertise that it would be foolish to ignore. The problem is that they have a very different objective, to make loads of money. Consumer groups have a laudable objective (safety) but often a lack of expertise on the technical stuff. The (original) idea of the BSI was to bring the two sides together and produce a balanced standard, that delivered most of what consumer groups wanted, without demanding the technically impossible or bankrupting the industry.
    There should be a third - and arguably more important group - independent experts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    There should be a third - and arguably more important group - independent experts.
    I wouldn't argue with that.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,800 in 3,008 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
    Lobbying aside, I'd still love to know how it's legal for non-certified clothing to be sold now. Can anyone explain this:
    To allow manufacturers & retailers to sell through old stock, it's pretty much the same for any directive or regulation as it evolves and is updated.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission