TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should laws for Animal Cruelty be Increased?

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Biarritz (summer)
    Liked 1,518 in 897 posts

Default Re: Should laws for Animal Cruelty be Increased?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Has anyone been prosecuted?

If not, then focusing energy on making the punishment more severe is not the right thing to do !

Liked 2,362 in 1,214 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    Has anyone been prosecuted?

If not, then focusing energy on making the punishment more severe is not the right thing to do !
    The severity of the punishment is a reflection of how seriously society views the crime. At present, under the Animal Welfare Act 2006,

A person guilty of an offence under sections 4 (unnecessary suffering), 5 (mutilation), 6(1Ė2) (docking dogs' tails), 7 (poisoning), 8 (fighting) shall be liable on summary conviction to imprisonment up to 51 weeks or a fine up to £20,000 or both Ė section 32(1).
    Which, to me seems pretty minimal. Especially when you consider cases like the so-called London Cat Killer who it is believed has killed and mutilated more than 400 animals since 2014 with identical MO.

So yeah, I do think there is a case for increasing sentences, and putting more resources into catching criminals for what is, after all, very much a crime against the person.

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Biarritz (summer)
    Liked 1,518 in 897 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    The severity of the punishment is a reflection of how seriously society views the crime. At present, under the Animal Welfare Act 2006,

Which, to me seems pretty minimal. Especially when you consider cases like the so-called London Cat Killer who it is believed has killed and mutilated more than 400 animals since 2014 with identical MO.

So yeah, I do think there is a case for increasing sentences, and putting more resources into catching criminals for what is, after all, very much a crime against the person.
    No point increasing sentences for as long as no-one gets caught.

Liked 10,484 in 5,478 posts

i'd increase all sentencing for any form of violent crime, but as others have said, with a woefully under resourced Police force its unlikely a task force would be set up to catch or do anything about it today. As much as I'd be outraged if my dogs were killed, id still rather Police directed their limited resources into addressing knife crime etc.

5. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Liked 1,736 in 1,024 posts

You can't catch someone and then increase the sentence though. SO yes it does make sense to have harsher punishments (lethal injection for example) and focus more resource into detection.

Won't happen though.

Liked 5,161 in 3,450 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    A person guilty of an offence under sections 4 (unnecessary suffering), 5 (mutilation), 6(1–2) (docking dogs' tails), 7 (poisoning), 8 (fighting) shall be liable on summary conviction to imprisonment up to 51 weeks or a fine up to £20,000 or both – section 32(1).

Presumably the London Cat Killer, if and when convicted, could* be sentenced to 400 consecutive 51 weeks or 400 £20,000 fines.

* And should but almost certainly won't be.

Really Bored
    Liked 910 in 580 posts

From an animal cruelty point of view I can’t see it’s much worse than intensive farming.

Liked 2,399 in 1,366 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MsignorMartinez View Post
    From an animal cruelty point of view I can’t see it’s much worse than intensive farming.
    when was the last time you milked a cat? or had a pig on your lap? oh hang on it's MLSP..............................

Liked 10,484 in 5,478 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    There has been a spate of Animal mutilation (mainly cats) on a small estate i was brought up around as of late.

The BBC does not report it in the link below but it's a gang of yoots going around killing the cats for initiation into a gang!

They are apparently stringing up the cats, cutting off their tails, beheading them then disembowling them.

The worst part is that they know where the cats live and they film the whole thing and send the dead cat vid/pics back to the owner.

Surely you have to be mentally ill to do such things.

There is a partition asking for the Government to up the laws on animal cruelty which i think should be passed.

Pet's for some people are part of the family, this must be devastating for the families of the cats, not just because of the loss of life, but because they send the video of it actually happening to the owners, that is just pure evil.

Personally, if they done this to one of my cats, i would go kill them, i would not care if they we're 10/14/25 or 100 years of age, they would get the beating of their life and i would film it and send it back to their parenst.

They all need a good fucking slap!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-49870415
    From an animal cruelty point of view I canít see itís much worse than intensive farming.
    Really?

Liked 2,525 in 1,396 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    It would be nice for the Government to acknowledge the severity of the crime though.
    They do, to an extent, and they do also change, albeit slowly.

The Animal Welfare (Service Animals) Bill took a while to get through, but seeks to protect service animals (like police dogs/horses) from being attacked. I feel that the maximum sentences for animal cruelty are pretty low, so clearly some reform in that area is required.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 231 in 138 posts

From an animal cruelty point of view I canít see itís much worse than intensive farming.
    And when was the last time you were on a modern farm? Oh, I see... You've heard a lot about them. And there's lots of stuff on the Internet too.

Really Bored
    Liked 910 in 580 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wossname View Post
    And when was the last time you were on a modern farm? Oh, I see... You've heard a lot about them. And there's lots of stuff on the Internet too.
    Have you seen youths kill a cat in a gang initiation? Oh, I see... You've heard a brief (and pretty questionable) amount of information about it on an unrelated internet forum.

As for me, two friends have substantial farms (one in Derbyshire, one in Cambs).

Liked 302 in 204 posts

Liked 102 in 82 posts

Maybe once we learn to stop being cruel to each other we can worry about animals?

Liked 2,525 in 1,396 posts

Maybe have the horse before the cart and start with animals?

17. The following user liked this post made by NyseriA:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission