TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Today is World Mental Health Day.

Really Bored
    Liked 910 in 580 posts

Default Re: Today is World Mental Health Day.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Got an email 5 minutes ago telling me that my cousin's 15 year old son took his life on Tuesday.

They're in Canada but I was very close to my cousin.

I'm crying my eyes out.
    I’m so sorry to hear that too.

My thoughts are with you. Let us know if we can do anything. And keep talking if you want.

2. The following 2 users liked this useful post by MsignorMartinez:

Liked 6,174 in 3,879 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MsignorMartinez View Post
    I’m so sorry to hear that too.

My thoughts are with you. Let us know if we can do anything. And keep talking if you want.
    Thanks. I'm not quite sure of the background, but I know my cousin's had a bad time over the years.

Can't imagine how she feels losing her only child. And too old to have another.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,865 in 3,046 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    As I understand it, Suiciders (is that a word?) think everyone would be better off without them, so consideration of others feelings is unlikely.
    It ain't so black and white and everyone has their own reasons, I only know that I did think of others when contemplating times, places and methods, that I may not have given them sufficient consideration is maybe the flip side of the same coin.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,691 in 2,253 posts

When I feel a bit depressed I ride a motorcycle or my wife, cheers me up every time, try not to over think shit and do the things in life you enjoy.
    Had a mid life drama (it wasn't bad enough to be called a crisis) a few years ago, and, for me, the solution was to realise that I am the same person that I was when I was 23, want the same things (sex and motorbikes) it's just my body wearing out that means I can't do as much as I could 30 years ago.

6. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 10,330 in 5,387 posts

I watched the film, A Beautiful Mind, and that made me realise what a complex, scary thing your nut is.

8. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Taipan:

Liked 2,841 in 2,018 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    When I feel a bit depressed I ride a motorcycle or my wife, cheers me up every time, try not to over think shit and do the things in life you enjoy.
    Had a mid life drama (it wasn't bad enough to be called a crisis) a few years ago, and, for me, the solution was to realise that I am the same person that I was when I was 23, want the same things (sex and motorbikes) it's just my body wearing out that means I can't do as much as I could 30 years ago.
    This is true.

Your mind tells you to do the same as you always did but your body tells you that you can't. So you set targets which are as ambitious as you always used to set but bearing this reality in mind.
    Last edited by irie; 12-10-19 at 18:35.

Liked 2,841 in 2,018 posts

I watched the film, A Beautiful Mind, and that made me realise what a complex, scary thing your nut is.
    I have a brother-in-law who is a mathematical genius (and a bit) who used to work for the UK security services. They worked him so hard they pushed him over the edge and one day he walked away, a broken man, got a shed load of counselling, and now plays his Alto saxophone and enjoys life. Lives with my sister near Maureillas in the Pyrenees.
    Last edited by irie; 12-10-19 at 18:43.

Liked 2,688 in 1,465 posts
    Blog Entries

Just seen this, and thought I would share my thoughts.

i have asked for some cbt, or anything, at my doctor’s.

This feels less than awesome, but is most necessary at the moment, as even I am having difficulty bouncing back this time.

it is heartening to read how some of you have come through tight times and feel better now. I have a full bottle of morphine an a nice malt to wash it down with, drop the lot watching the sun set in the mountains is my plan.

12. The following 2 users liked this useful post by adamski:

Liked 3,358 in 1,705 posts

Quote Originally Posted by adamski View Post

This feels less than awesome, but is most necessary at the moment, as even I am having difficulty bouncing back this time.

it is heartening to read how some of you have come through tight times and feel better now. I have a full bottle of morphine an a nice malt to wash it down with, drop the lot watching the sun set in the mountains is my plan.
    Not sure that drop the lot is ideal, but understand how you could feel that way at the moment. Biggest hugs. Hope that something positive happens for you/your health soon xxx

Really Bored
    Liked 910 in 580 posts

Quote Originally Posted by adamski View Post

You'll be ok A-dog. You're as resilient as they come.

Liked 2,834 in 2,029 posts

Its great that folk talk about things like this now. Obviously my parents are from an age where these private matters were not spoken about. My dad was depressed and took his life and my mum although not depressed was from a generation that never spoke about women problems what she had and cancer took her. My wife suffers bad depression and we talk about her moods a lot but when i am useless she is in a mental health group she can turn to or i can even contact and they will reach out to her if need be. Thankfully since starting her own little cleaning business three years ago its keeping herself and her mind occupied and feeling a whole lot better within herself. Aye, someone mentioned SAD. Seems to be when the clocks go back up this end that SAD starts to become an issue for some folk but aye you closet depression sufferers. Talk, you wont be judged for it

16. The following 3 users liked this useful post by 1888:

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Biarritz (summer)
    Liked 1,511 in 893 posts

After an issue plaguing me for years refused to go away I contacted a friend who is a hypnotherapist. He couldn't help but put me in touch with someone who can.
    I've only been twice, the first of those were just an assessment, I'm going again on Thursday.

However by far and away the biggest victory went a bit like this....

2 weeks ago;-
    Mum- Sam (brother) thinks I need counselling, I'm offended that he thinks that.
    Jody- Well I'm going for counselling, I'm not offended by my suggestion that I should go. To be honest I wish someone had suggested it sooner!
    Mum- Well it has crossed my mind in the past that maybe I should go but......
    Jody- You need to realise times have changed, these people are not 'head doctors' or 'shrinks' or any other derogatory term left over from the 1980's. If Sam cares enough to notice, cares enough to speak up, maybe you should listen?

Last Monday my mum had her first appointment (assessment), and had a 'session' yesterday. She's not convinced it will work (which isn't helpful, but not surprising as being negative is one of her 'traits'). However she agree's the door has been opened, and if this doesn't work she will try something else.

Bearing in mind it became very apparent that a large part of my issue was caused by the concern I've had for my mum for a good few years now. Sadly I wasn't as brave as Sam, I didn't speak up.

The more 'you' speak about counselling or therapy the more people speak up "Ohh yeah I've been".

#itsOKnottobeOK

18. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Jody:

Liked 1,861 in 1,135 posts

A couple of weeks ago I took the 5.18am train to work. Was approached by someone who was interested in the cross I wear. Turns out he was an athiest but really just wanted to talk. So we chatted for the train journey and I then invited him to have a coffee/danish at the Starbucks near my work. He had been contemplating suicide and was depressed, with drug/alcohol addictions. All I could do was listen to him and give support, pointing him to Samaritans for more help. The modern world is a lonely place. I have had to deal with a very wide spectrum of mental health issues in my field of work/vocation. I've had to face issues myself. I use prayer and meditation as a Christian, I have a faith that supports and informs my value in this world and beyond.

20. The following 5 users liked this useful post by Makman:

Liked 10,330 in 5,387 posts

Some friends and I was talking at the weekend about today's mental health issues and all of us were wondering why it is so prolific now? With the media campaigns about its good to talk, we assumed it was just not spoken about years ago and hushed up as something shameful? Is that right? Or are people just more susceptible to the various forms of depression today, or live under different pressures etc?

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Biarritz (summer)
    Liked 1,511 in 893 posts

Some friends and I was talking at the weekend about today's mental health issues and all of us were wondering why it is so prolific now? With the media campaigns about its good to talk, we assumed it was just not spoken about years ago and hushed up as something shameful? Is that right? Or are people just more susceptible to the various forms of depression today, or live under different pressures etc?
    Stiff upper lip old chap- just get on with it- just fucking cheer up you miserable sod

That was mental healthcare and treatment for the last few hundred years.

So people did what they were told, kept quiet, lived (and died) with their demons.

23. The following user liked this post made by Jody:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission