TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Michelin road 4 or 5

Liked 1,868 in 1,224 posts

Default Michelin road 4 or 5

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Went out on Sat to meet my brother at Bikestop Stevenage. Hmm those tyres are feeling a bit rough.

Then after coffee I rode Tel's Versys...hmmm so that's what round tyres feel like.

Got back on mine and yup these are fooked. Once over they are ok but transition is horrible. Happy with the Road 4s and they've lasted 6k miles so not complaining. Theres a bit tread left but profile feels stepped and the front is tracking lines in the road.

Now I need new ones do I get 4s or 5s? Current thinking is the 5s as must be better and look like only 30 odd quid price difference although that's just for the tyres a lot will depend when I get quotes from tyre fitters. Won't get new ones till spring as won't ride much now but might as well be clued up.

Sure there are a few 5 users on here so what are they like?

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 2,988 in 2,024 posts

Default Re: Michelin road 4 or 5

I put PR5s on my 800 VFR about a year and almost 6000 miles ago. In my book they have been brilliant!

I can't comment on track performance or ultimate dry grip, I don't go there, but for swiftish but sensible use it has ticked all my boxes. Those 5000 miles have covered everything from nadgery lanes, a few farm tracks, many miles of motorway and included a trip to Norway and back. Wet grip in particular has been outstanding, and fitting these tyres made a massive improvement in that area. Even now, when they are obviously very worn, they still feel fine.

They are now on their last knockings and will be replaced very soon, with the same again. My only warning is that some perfectly good tyres just don't suit some bikes. My experience was on an 800 VFR, your bike may differ.

3. The following user liked this post made by Cousin Jack:

At Work
    Liked 863 in 309 posts

Both good tyres so save 30 i say.

5. The following user liked this post made by khd:

Liked 1,861 in 1,135 posts

I can have a say on both. PR4 on the front and PR5 on the rear. The PR5 grips very well in the wet and is confidence inspiring. Same for the front. I'd like to see the eventual mileage out of them. Oh yes, also good in the dry!

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission