TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Good news!

Really Bored
    Liked 830 in 606 posts

Default Re: Good news!

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    A loud valve is a happy valve.

Better loose than tight.
    A [I]really[I] happy valve is one that is timed properly with the correct clearance....excess clearance retards the timing. But you are right...loose is better than tight.

Liked 10,344 in 5,392 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Scoots in the workshop and they say it needs a new disc, which they cant get until tomorrow, so I'm not picking it up until Friday now. Good buying from dealers innit! Anyway, thought i'd bet update you all as I know how you worry...
    Disc turned up but the pads were wrong. Might have to leave it until tomorrow now.

Currently hurtling along on a tube to collect the scoot now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Taipan:

Liked 944 in 529 posts

Has it been stolen yet

6. The following 2 users liked this useful post by maccecht:

Liked 1,868 in 1,224 posts

Quote Originally Posted by maccecht View Post
    Has it been stolen yet
    Yes Taipan's cut through the chain, kick his way through the steering lock, threatened the owner with a hand held grinder and is now half way back to deepest Essex being chased by the PoPo.

8. The following user liked this post made by Supermofo:

Has it been stolen yet
    They'd probably keep looking after getting up close!

Liked 944 in 529 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    They'd probably keep looking after getting up close!
    Is it that bad then? Did you not buy it or did buy it and get a hoooge discount as it is a shitter

Is it that bad then? Did you not buy it or did buy it and get a hoooge discount as it is a shitter
    I bought it blind over the phone but eh did describe it as it was etc. Its just a hack, so i dont really care about looks just that's it runs okay, which it seems to at this stage...

Liked 944 in 529 posts

O! Dear it is a bit of a shitter then. Let's hope it doesn't let you down before it gets nicked. Hopefully you have a decent lock they can steal so leaving the poor knackered steed behind. Enjoy scoots can be fun and may it live a long and happy commuting life. Dont forget the pics so we can continue this thread

13. The following user liked this post made by maccecht:

I haven't really looked it over yet, but tbh from what I have seen, its not as bad as I was expecting. The ride home was nice, felt very comfortable on it and as many know, I love a scoot anyway. I'll update after its had a scrub up to see whats what...

Had a quick shufti round it this morning. The Akra is as quiet as an OEM exhaust but it does have twin DB killers and I could remove one or both of those if needed. I think its too quiet as it is, so might try taking one out, just so London's myopic pedestrians hear me.

A bit of a downside is the rear brake is binding. The cynic in me thinks when the dealer said they were waiting on parts, they were probably trying to free up the rear caliper and haven't been that successful? Its got 3 months warranty but i'll not bother taking it back to west London for that. I'll sort it myself. Just checked Fowlers site and they don't sell the caliper piston seals without the pistons and that's 55 + P&P for the seal and piston kit. I'll see what I can do with it first, or how bad they are before I buy that, not that I'd mind buying them, as its a keeper , I just want to see if they're actually needed first. I'll service the front calipers too whilst i'm about it, as winters coming and I want everything working as it should be and binding brakes is something I hate.

One other thing I noticed i the clutch shoes feel glazed as they are a bit grabby. Happens to most scoots and i'll probably wear it off with it being used, but I'll probably have it all apart to check what the state of play in there is anyway.

The sales guy told me the seat didn't lock as it had been forced open. When i looked, it has indeed been forced open but it hasn't broke the mechanism, its just pulled the seat latch out, so I've ordered one of those up. I nearly didn't bother, but of late there doesn't seem to be so many scroates going round London breaking into top boxes and jemmying up seats anymore and it would be nice to lock my crash helmet under there when I pop down the shops etc.

So a couple of minor gripes but in the main i'm pleased with it. The 400cc has enough grunt for a scoot and it sits happily at 80mph so that's good enough and there is a little bit left as it crept up to almost 90 this morning. I'm off next week and will have a play about on it then and give it a clean and see how it scrubs up.

One strange thing, I looked round it and it appears to have two air boxes. So I looked at a parts fiche and it actually does have 2 air filters!
    Last edited by Taipan; 24-10-19 at 10:06.

16. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Taipan:

Liked 944 in 529 posts

Teaching you to suck eggs but I just rebuilt my rear caliper on the Burgman 650 as the handbrake was sticking. I reused the seals. Clamp the brake line I use a pair of open out circlip pliers and a tie wrap. Pop the seals out and clean the back of the dust seals with a Stanley blade and clean out the grooves.pop them back in. Main seal will be fine. Does it have a handbrake mechanism? This will need to be stripped cleaned and greased. Burgman has a heave gauge screw thread that the grease goes hard on and binds the brake.whole job including bleeding took an hour including a cup of tea

Teaching you to suck eggs but I just rebuilt my rear caliper on the Burgman 650 as the handbrake was sticking. I reused the seals. Clamp the brake line I use a pair of open out circlip pliers and a tie wrap. Pop the seals out and clean the back of the dust seals with a Stanley blade and clean out the grooves.pop them back in. Main seal will be fine. Does it have a handbrake mechanism? This will need to be stripped cleaned and greased. Burgman has a heave gauge screw thread that the grease goes hard on and binds the brake.whole job including bleeding took an hour including a cup of tea
    Yes I think thats what I'm going to do if its not just the pads sticking in the carrier. I like to be able to push pistons back in with my fingers, if i cant then they'll be stripped and serviced as you say. Oh and no handbrake.

Liked 944 in 529 posts

No handbrake What stops it rolling off down a hill on the side stand? I assume it is a cvt as most scoots. Burgman 650 400 and Honda Dct have handbrakes.

Liked 6,186 in 3,885 posts
    Blog Entries

No handbrake What stops it rolling off down a hill on the side stand?
    It's a shitter, so won't cause any more damage

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission